2008 Shelby wont start......Shelby gurus come in

Biltforspeed351

Not just another Foxbody.
Established Member
I am having an issue with an 08 Shelby. Took timing cover and cam covers off for paint. Car sat for bout month. Car was running fine before hand. Got everything painted and back on car. Turn the key. All the dash lights, fuel pumps etc come on as normal. Then on the last click of the key where starter normally engages but on mine nothing happens.

So far I have took the clutch switch off and jumped it, swapped out the starter relay with a new one and even took starter off and had it tested and it was fine. Not sure if the solenoid on started could be bad. I had the started tested and it was fine so not sure if that has test value on solenoid.

I have Brandnew battery (optima) that is NEW and been on tender. IT shows full voltage in the car and even with the key switched on. So no issue there.

Today we checked voltage on starter. IT shows right but when you switch the key on the voltage isnt showing on the small starter terminal. SO we jumped it and the car will turn over but wont fire up. At this point I am not sure if the car is not firing up (with starter jumped across the terminals) due to some kinda of safety feature on car to keep it from firing.

My question is why or what would cause the starter to not be getting voltage when switched. Kinda stumped here on this one and any light you guys can shed to help would be greatly appreciated. I am just before taking car to FORD to see if they can figure it out but want that to be the last resort. I know its a simple thing due to car was running fine before. I have double and triple check all wiring on engine and its right.

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I am having an issue with an 08 Shelby. Took timing cover and cam covers off for paint. Car sat for bout month. Car was running fine before hand. Got everything painted and back on car. Turn the key. All the dash lights, fuel pumps etc come on as normal. Then on the last click of the key where starter normally engages but on mine nothing happens.

So far I have took the clutch switch off and jumped it, swapped out the starter relay with a new one and even took starter off and had it tested and it was fine. Not sure if the solenoid on started could be bad. I had the started tested and it was fine so not sure if that has test value on solenoid.

I have Brandnew battery (optima) that is NEW and been on tender. IT shows full voltage in the car and even with the key switched on. So no issue there.

Today we checked voltage on starter. IT shows right but when you switch the key on the voltage isnt showing on the small starter terminal. SO we jumped it and the car will turn over but wont fire up. At this point I am not sure if the car is not firing up (with starter jumped across the terminals) due to some kinda of safety feature on car to keep it from firing.

My question is why or what would cause the starter to not be getting voltage when switched. Kinda stumped here on this one and any light you guys can shed to help would be greatly appreciated. I am just before taking car to FORD to see if they can figure it out but want that to be the last resort. I know its a simple thing due to car was running fine before. I have double and triple check all wiring on engine and its right.

Maybe putting it back together a wire got pinched down? Only thing I can imagine...and I'm def not a guru.

PrestonJ

Established Member
Sorry I have no idea what caused this problem but please let us know if you do figure it out. I'm curious. My old 06 GT had this symptom (would turn over but not start) when the fuse for the fuel pump was blown but I doubt that's your issue.

RSAGT500

Established Member
Was the battery not hooked up to the car the whole time it was down? Is the odometer showing up? You may consider flashing the computer with the tune again.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Did you replace the radio interference blocks back on the valve covers (one on each valve cover)? Those are grounds for the engine harness hence why u have a start issue. Nothing went bad...u simply forgot to reconnect something properly..happens to the best of us.

Last edited:

Biltforspeed351

Established Member
YOur right. We moved them both and didnt connect them back to valve cover. TOne is jsut tucked in and other is bolted to a blower bypass bolt . Never knew what they were for. LOL will look into that today and post back how it goes.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
YOur right. We moved them both and didnt connect them back to valve cover. TOne is jsut tucked in and other is bolted to a blower bypass bolt . Never knew what they were for. LOL will look into that today and post back how it goes.

No worries....your not the first to have done this trust me. There are specific studs on the valve cover for these to go on...my suggestion is find a pic online and see if you have the studs in their proper locations then use the nut to secure the resistors.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
And I thought I was cleaning up the engine bay LOL Had no idea those little boxes did anything important. Gonna give it shot later today and see how it goes. I remember they were on the cam cover studs.

Its the exact reason your car wont start. Report back.

Biltforspeed351

Established Member
OK I put the radio interference blocks back on the valve covers. Had to yank blower off to get to driver side one. Tested them to make sure they were grounded. Checked out ok. Turned key and nothing. I was really figuring this would make a difference but it didnt. I am stumped. Open to more suggestions. I am right before going to FORD to run a diagnostic on it.

On a side note I did notice when the key is turned ON that the Odometer isnt showing any numbers. That mean anything ?

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Disconnect battery....turn headlight switch on and off....reconnect battery...try again

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
What does that do? I'm new to the GT500 but not fords. My answer was going to be try connecting your tuner and seeing if it will connect to the ecu and try reflashing it.

that resets the car by disconnecting the battery and draining in capacitive energy in the system, you can step on the brake pedal a few times as well.

Biltforspeed351

Established Member
are you sure all the plugs are in secure and nothing got wiggled out? I would check everything in reverse, it is probably something minor.

Didnt take the plugs out they stayed in. I know its something minor but figuring it out is becoming a major PIA. I am sure its not mechanical. I have checked everything that was done 2 or 3 times and its all ok and check out. I am a gonna try the headlight thing today and get another starter just to give me peace of mind even though I had other one checked.

Users who are viewing this thread