2008 Shelby GT500 build thread.. NEVER complete..

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
What restrictions?

I will address this later....

Guys.... I bought my 2008 new in 2007 and have played around with different superchargers. Bought.... tuned..... (not happy).... sold..... Repeated this cycle more times than I care to think about.... maybe $10k to $15k worth... spent and wasted..... Try not to be tempted with the "next" generation supercharger hits the market. My advise is to spend the extra $$$ now and get the biggest, baddest blower out there. You'll never have to "upgrade" again. I did exactly this. As a tuner, I can say that the greater the supercharger volume, the more air it ingests... more hp to be made. I literally see it in the MAF transfer function as well as datalogs for all my different combos. And think about this >>

The typical blower redline is 18,000 rpms. The closer you get to this, the more efficiency you lose....

With my 2.3 TVS, pullied with a 2.50" and a 15 percent crank pulley at 6,000 engine rpms, the blower is spinning 19,500 rpms, exceeding redline. No more room for improvement. Highest boost datalogged was 19.4 lbs, highest load value recorded was 1.94 (great indicator of power made).

With my current 4.2 with the LARGEST blower pulley, 4.00" and the same 15 percent crank pulley at the same 6,000 rpms, the blower is spinning a mere 12,188 rpms. Plenty of room for improvement. Highest boost (to date) is 20.4 lbs, highest load was 2.32 (compare with prior setup) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, I achieved these numbers revving to 4,500 engine rpms and ONLY 43 degrees of throttle angle. Am I impressed? What to do think? So quit dinking around with a "small block" blower and go big and be done with it...! I'll never go back!

Who needs e85? Do you guys know all the drawbacks to running 85 percent alcohol in an engine not designed for it? They far outweigh the advantages that can be gotten another way without any of the drawbacks... Personally, I will not use this junk and subject my motor to a premature death. I'm working on something very big and looks very promising. More to come in the weeks and months ahead...

I lived in Texas most of my life, east, central and west Texas... East Tx has only 93, West Tx has only 91. Further east is all 93 and west is all 91. The split happens somewhere around Abilene. Don't know why. Probably something to do with east and west coast distribution centers and different origins.... just a guess.

Depends on your intent.
Drag race? Calculate what ratio you need to cross the line at redline in 4th gear. You will need to know top speed to do this. So calculate based on your projected top speed.
Just dinking around on the streets? Lower gears will "feel" more acceleration. In all reality, it feels this way because you have to shift quicker. Bottom line: In a drag race with 3.31's and 3.73's, there is no improvement in E/T with either. So what does that say? It's all about purpose and feel...

Pump gas restrictions as in if I do full bolt ons, Gen 2r, 2.4 pulley , and 10% Lower, that’s safe on 93 pump and stock engine? Years from now once I build the engine and do cams and bigger blower. I have always thought the safe limit for 93 octane was around 700-750 at least for our cars.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
AA940FA9-9896-4010-A7E7-C1709178A0C1.jpeg

VMP Gen 2R getting everything tuned this Saturday.

boduke0220

Established Member
My blown Coyote picked up close to 80rwhp on the same boost going from 93 to e85. Daily drove it for 2 years with no issues on E85. e85 is the shit if you have it available

sleek98

Established Member
Pump gas restrictions as in if I do full bolt ons, Gen 2r, 2.4 pulley , and 10% Lower, that’s safe on 93 pump and stock engine? Years from now once I build the engine and do cams and bigger blower. I have always thought the safe limit for 93 octane was around 700-750 at least for our cars.

All depends on what your willing to risk. There are some people that run 2.4/10% on 93 and never race it so its fine. But thats 21-22 psi and and your going to be limited on timing. Being a 2008 you dont have knock sensors and one bad tank of gas your going to get to see your rods real quick if your out beating on it doing long highway pulls. Personally I wouldnt go past a 2.6/10% but I dont really want to risk putting the rod through the block.

May93

Established Member
Nice mods. I have a 2007 GT500 build that I just finished the installation of a stock 2013 Trinity blower.

I added the dual fan heat exchanger, 10%, JLT 123, 65 TB, Off-Road exhaust, 373 gears and other mods over the past few years. Hopefully they compliment the new SC well.

I have to add a wideband and BAP yet before I can get a new tune sent.

I currently have a SCTx4 handheld but I’m considering going with the nGuage for ease of data logging.

What type of guages are you using for your setup?

I apologize if I jacked your thread. It looked like we’re on similar builds so figured I’d chime in.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Have fun OP!

I remember when I bought my second stock GT500 and test driving it thinking how utterly slow it was. It wakes up with the basic pulley etc, but when I did a TTVS it’s crazy the change.

Enjoy!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Blower looks nice Klaus. My car might end up right next to yours, depending how long yours sticks around! :eek:

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Well dropped the car off on Saturday 10/13/18. Had almost everything.. minus the BAP, which I left at home haha. So after the 3 hour drive back home I over nighted it back to Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, Nc.
Got the BMR lcas and panhard bar also. Might have to end up going with bigger injectors though, I guess I’ll see how well the 14 gt500 ones hold up.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Nice mods. I have a 2007 GT500 build that I just finished the installation of a stock 2013 Trinity blower.

I added the dual fan heat exchanger, 10%, JLT 123, 65 TB, Off-Road exhaust, 373 gears and other mods over the past few years. Hopefully they compliment the new SC well.

I have to add a wideband and BAP yet before I can get a new tune sent.

I currently have a SCTx4 handheld but I’m considering going with the nGuage for ease of data logging.

What type of guages are you using for your setup?

I apologize if I jacked your thread. It looked like we’re on similar builds so figured I’d chime in.

I have not got any gauges yet will probably just go with the standard 3 tier Shelby pod for now or the Lund tune Ngauge.
Honestly just need to spend the money on a clutch and driveshaft first.

boduke0220

Established Member
Fastlane is a good place to go! you need to move up to the triad, we have E85 everywhere up here. Cant wait to see what she puts down.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Before Stock Eagle F1s
B7BE3D03-71FA-4B7B-906C-39A7F58F18A4.jpeg

59D83623-83D9-4BBA-A322-BF8DD0A71BD6.jpeg

After: 305/45r18
Nitto NT05R
In case anyone was wondering or new members see this wondering the same, NT05Rs fit on stock 9.5 wheels, they do.
Eventually I will be getting them widened to 11”.

lkempf

Established Member
You are going to love those mods. I drove my 2011 stock for 2 years before modifying it similar to yours. The best part is it is like getting a new car again. I would recommend a bigger heat exchanger next. Nice car Enjoy It!

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
You are going to love those mods. I drove my 2011 stock for 2 years before modifying it similar to yours. The best part is it is like getting a new car again. I would recommend a bigger heat exchanger next. Nice car Enjoy It!

I drove mine for a little over 3 1/2 years stock... soo.. haha to say it feels like a brand new car is an understatement.

So glad I went with the VMP triple pass duel fan HE the Resiche 170 Tstat and the 3x reservoir keeping temps wayyy down.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Well the car made 680rwhp and 722RWTQ. My fault for procrastinating for 3.5 years and not getting new tires for the dyno. They said something with the wheels being old affecting the reading, dry rot, low tread possibly, not sure.

Either way there were some factors in there that had I had new tires I wouldn’t be writing this. :( And the reading would of been more accurate.

Once I get the Dynatech long tube headers and lethal mid pipe installed I’ll have it re dynoed.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Time to start the exhaust, went with Dynatech longtube headers 1- 7/8 since they had a good Black Friday deal. Waiting for the Dynatech 2.5 catted X pipe.
452BB8E5-8458-4945-82CD-5954887C9B33.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread