2008 GT500 Swap

12wendel12

Established Member
Hi guys, I know this conversation and thread has been posted about before, and I read it and joined the forum for more info since you guys may have a great deal of knowledge on the subject. I have a 2008 Mustang V6 Premium Pony Package auto. I found a 2008 GT500 engine with a T6060 transmission (19k miles on eng and trans), here is a list of what they will give me with the engine and trans:
  • Engine (Supercharger to Oil pan) Ford Racing Supercharger
  • MAF
  • Complete Transmission T6060 with shifter
  • Intercooler pump
  • Engine bay harness
  • dash harness
  • Body harness
  • ECU
  • Brake booster
  • Coolant tank
  • Pedal Assembly
  • Gauge cluster
  • steering column
  • Body control module
  • Fuel tank with modules
  • Driveshaft
The engine does have the K-member (where the control arms mount), I have found what I think is all the other parts I will need:
  • gt500 springs (also getting hotchkiss stage one sway bars if I have money at the end)
  • GT500 radiator
  • AFCO Pro-Series heat exchanger with fans and hoses to go with it (seller is not giving me cooling)
Not sure what all I will need for the clutch system since I am going auto to manual besides slave cylinder and lines maybe. I was going to wait til I get to that point.

Anything else I will need? What will be my biggest challenge? Any input greatly appreciated!

One last thing, I have an 8.8 rear end with an Eaton Truetrac LSD and 3.73s, I also have the stock 3.31s. Should I eventually swap the original 3.31s back in with all this new power?

Also, if you can tag other members that have information, that would be great. I joined yesterday; still learning how to use the site (do not know how to tag members). armycook1981 and Boozshey were the members that had some good knowledge to share on the other thread from 2011.

Thanks,
Jacob

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Obviously you will need the Pedal assembly for the manual conversion, the slave and lines, but i am slightly positive you may need to change the whole brake booster to a Manual equipped GT/GT500 as that is where the fill is for the fluid for the clutch. The 3:73s are a nice gear but you will find yourself shifting alot before the car is able to lay the power down. The 3:31s get my vote as these cars do not have high redlines and need the gear to really put the power down/pull. I roll raced many cars with my 331 shelby and then with the 373 shelby and i would lose the race everytime with the 373 vs the 331 due to me having to shift (same power levels)earlier and not be able to run the gear out if this makes any sense.

It sounds like you have all the other parts and harnesses needed though. I know you will absolutely have to swap the harnesses to make that swap a plug and play job. Goodluck, buy coolant, trans fluid to flush the 6060 while it is out, and put a good clutch in in. I would run a stock 11-14 clutch as they can handle a good amount of abuse, otherwise i would go with a Spec unit.

12wendel12

Established Member
Obviously you will need the Pedal assembly for the manual conversion, the slave and lines, but i am slightly positive you may need to change the whole brake booster to a Manual equipped GT/GT500 as that is where the fill is for the fluid for the clutch. The 3:73s are a nice gear but you will find yourself shifting alot before the car is able to lay the power down. The 3:31s get my vote as these cars do not have high redlines and need the gear to really put the power down/pull. I roll raced many cars with my 331 shelby and then with the 373 shelby and i would lose the race everytime with the 373 vs the 331 due to me having to shift (same power levels)earlier and not be able to run the gear out if this makes any sense.

It sounds like you have all the other parts and harnesses needed though. I know you will absolutely have to swap the harnesses to make that swap a plug and play job. Goodluck, buy coolant, trans fluid to flush the 6060 while it is out, and put a good clutch in in. I would run a stock 11-14 clutch as they can handle a good amount of abuse, otherwise i would go with a Spec unit.

He gave me the brake booster and steering column too with keys and remote fob. Still working on getting the 4.0 out as I've been working a lot. But the engine is home and I'll be getting started soon. Also, 19k miles on T6060... will the stock clutch be fine for just casual fun-having?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Yes stock clutch will be fine for casual fun, i had a stock clutch last (still going to this day) when i had the car it had 37k miles and 570 wheel and i used to do 3rd gear rolling burnouts constantly and it always held.

12wendel12

Established Member
Hello again all,

So I am around halfway through the swap. I have been trying to post updates on my instagram. If I am not replying on this forum, my apologies, but it does not notify me as often. Any questions or advice, feel free to DM me and you can also take a look at my progress. @12wendel12 for Instagram, Jacob Wendel on FB with my red Mustang and 1320 Video sticker as the profile pic.

At this point, the car is gutted. V6 engine and trans is out, body harness out, dash out, etc. GT500 gas tank in, got my 8.8 back in (had the GT flange put on to work with GT500 DS, GT500 headlight harness in (main difference is it has a plug to power supercharger pump), I also got Eibach sport springs (mild lowering, 1 inch front, 1.2 inch rear), rear springs in, havent done front springs yet (need to find a friend with a spring compressor), intercooler mounted in up front, I replaced the bent pulleys on the engine, fixed kinked oil cooler hard line, trans crossmember fixed and reinforced.

So I have just been getting done basic stuff, I have not dropped the engine in yet. I am back at school in Columbus (I live 2 hours away near Cleveland) so I am limited in work time.

Like I said, any questions or advice or just want to see how its going, check my ig and/or message me anywhere for some pics I have been taking along the way.

Thanks,
Jacob

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Jacob, a swap thread that refers you to some other format is pointless. A thread is searchable and pics posted on here will stay on here (thank you Sid). There is no ability for anyone to interact with you, if you give them nothing on here to interact with. Facebook posts will just disappear into the endless scroll never to be seen again or help anyone else thinking of this swap. A build thread is also a lot easier for you to go back to also and review.

This post is not meant to be mean spirited, just to point out something for you to consider going forward.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
x2

post here you will get more knowledgeable feedback and in the end more support it is a great community here.

Especially RDJ you will find him to be extremely thought provoking

sounds like yo got one hell of a project on the go would love to see some progress good luck

12wendel12

Established Member
Jacob, a swap thread that refers you to some other format is pointless. A thread is searchable and pics posted on here will stay on here (thank you Sid). There is no ability for anyone to interact with you, if you give them nothing on here to interact with. Facebook posts will just disappear into the endless scroll never to be seen again or help anyone else thinking of this swap. A build thread is also a lot easier for you to go back to also and review.

This post is not meant to be mean spirited, just to point out something for you to consider going forward.

x2

post here you will get more knowledgeable feedback and in the end more support it is a great community here.

Especially RDJ you will find him to be extremely thought provoking

sounds like yo got one hell of a project on the go would love to see some progress good luck

I am still staying on here and plan on getting some pictures up when done. I was just saying that FB and IG are more easily accessible for me. In the end, I want to do a good write up on my project for any others that may be looking at this swap or want to take up a project. I know what you mean and I understand completely. I found a guy that did the same swap on his Bullitt Mustang and has done other swaps. Very resourceful. He has had an answer at every roadblock I've ran into. At this point it is a matter of time. I have gotten past most of what I was unsure about.

I was just referring to messaging me on Instagram or Facebook if anyone was really interested and curious to see the progress I am at. Quite a fun project and opportunity to learn about the vehicle.

Andrew Bauman

Hi guys, I know this conversation and thread has been posted about before, and I read it and joined the forum for more info since you guys may have a great deal of knowledge on the subject. I have a 2008 Mustang V6 Premium Pony Package auto. I found a 2008 GT500 engine with a T6060 transmission (19k miles on eng and trans), here is a list of what they will give me with the engine and trans:
  • Engine (Supercharger to Oil pan) Ford Racing Supercharger
  • MAF
  • Complete Transmission T6060 with shifter
  • Intercooler pump
  • Engine bay harness
  • dash harness
  • Body harness
  • ECU
  • Brake booster
  • Coolant tank
  • Pedal Assembly
  • Gauge cluster
  • steering column
  • Body control module
  • Fuel tank with modules
  • Driveshaft
The engine does have the K-member (where the control arms mount), I have found what I think is all the other parts I will need:
  • gt500 springs (also getting hotchkiss stage one sway bars if I have money at the end)
  • GT500 radiator
  • AFCO Pro-Series heat exchanger with fans and hoses to go with it (seller is not giving me cooling)
Not sure what all I will need for the clutch system since I am going auto to manual besides slave cylinder and lines maybe. I was going to wait til I get to that point.

Anything else I will need? What will be my biggest challenge? Any input greatly appreciated!

One last thing, I have an 8.8 rear end with an Eaton Truetrac LSD and 3.73s, I also have the stock 3.31s. Should I eventually swap the original 3.31s back in with all this new power?

Also, if you can tag other members that have information, that would be great. I joined yesterday; still learning how to use the site (do not know how to tag members). armycook1981 and Boozshey were the members that had some good knowledge to share on the other thread from 2011.

Thanks,
Jacob
I have a 2005 Mustang Gt with a full GT500 swap and it runs good. I bought this one done and crazyhorse did the swap. It’s on YouTube

12wendel12

Established Member
I have a 2005 Mustang Gt with a full GT500 swap and it runs good. I bought this one done and crazyhorse did the swap. It’s on YouTube

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next. Either pulley the hell out of the eaton or find a used TVS. Pretty cool type of vehicle we have. I have people DM me on instagram all the time asking about it saying they want to do the same and think its awesome, every so often I'm told my car is inspirational. I just cant wait to get done with undergrad and med school and do another one!

Users who are viewing this thread