2008 GT500 front control arms - swap to new 19mm ball joints?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What else do I need to buy other than the 2010 A-arm with 19mm ball joint to upgrade my 2008 GT500 18mm units? Are there other suspension pieces I need to buy? spindles?

Yes, I tried searching but either I am bad at it or the search engine is.....Thanks!

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What else do I need to buy other than the 2010 A-arm with 19mm ball joint to upgrade my 2008 GT500 18mm units? Are there other suspension pieces I need to buy? spindles?

Yes, I tried searching but either I am bad at it or the search engine is.....Thanks!

Is it 2010? or 2011 that the front LCA's changed to the larger ball joint stud?

Someone on one of the forums said that if the spindle attachment area were to be spread apart a little bit, the earlier spindle will fit the larger stud. If you can get the spindle squared in a drill press, 19mm drill bits are available on eBay and elsewhere, I did check into that. Other than that, it will be newer spindles that correctly match the 19mm ball joints.

R

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
I'm tracking the change was made in 2011. I've been looking into this as i have the low speed front end creak in my 2010.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The updated 19mm knuckle is Ford Part #AR3Z-3105-B and AR3Z-3106-B. The A-arms are AR3Z-3078-B and AR3Z-3079-D

Last edited:

BMR Tech 2

You can drill the spindle out to accept the larger ball joint. I've done this myself and it's a pain, but it can be done. Buying new spindles is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

No other changes need to be made/no other parts need to be purchased.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You can drill the spindle out to accept the larger ball joint. I've done this myself and it's a pain, but it can be done. Buying new spindles is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

No other changes need to be made/no other parts need to be purchased.

About $700. I don't know if drilling it weakens it or not...is the 19mm version thicker or is the part thickness the same as drilling the 18mm wider? Since I am replacing the struts, K-member, etc., I'll probably just get new ones.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The updated 19mm knuckle is Ford Part #AR3Z-3105-B and AR3Z-3106-B. The A-arms are AR3Z-3078-B and AR3Z-3079-D

If you are going with the Ford arms, vs. BMR etc. As far as I know, the FRPP arms for the 2011-up are the same as the oem Ford assy. line arms, but re-boxed for FRPP and less money than the AR3Z arms purchased at the Ford dealership. <<<Maybe not?

R

BMR Tech 2

About $700. I don't know if drilling it weakens it or not...is the 19mm version thicker or is the part thickness the same as drilling the 18mm wider? Since I am replacing the struts, K-member, etc., I'll probably just get new ones.

I don't think it weakens them any appreciable amount. When I did mine, I used a chisel to spread the spindle and ran the drill bit through. I was able to spread the spindle enough that I barely took any material out of it. Had I just left the spindle in it's "relaxed" state, I would have had to take a lot more material out.

Users who are viewing this thread