2007 GT500 JTL CAI & Tune

jghess

Came across a nice, low mile 2007 GT500 convertible for sale. The issue is that it has a JTL big mouth CAI and presumedly a tune that is unknown. It also doesn't have a tuner available. If I were to purchase a tuner, could I determine the tune and also remove and store the tune? I would like to get the stock tune back in the car and then reinstall and/or purchase a different performance tune, so I have it for the future. Any insight would be appreciated.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I went through this almost to a T. No need to reflash back to stock. Take it to someone whom you trust and have a tune built. It’ll rewrite where already on here. If you’re doing remote and /or wanting extra piece of mind… dual wideband monitoring. Pre 2011 GT500 didn’t have these. Congratulations on the purchase you’re gonna love it!

SCALILOU

Established Member
The car does not have the stock tune in it for you to save. And if the tune that's in it is unknown, that sounds like a can of worms I would not be willing to open. Unless you were planning to radically modify it, have a custom tune done and not look back,are getting a ridiculous deal on it, I would walk away from it.

I've bought 3 Shelbys, all had low miles and were unmodified (to the best of my knowledge) with all stock parts and factory tune.

Knowing the cars history is a good thing. These cars either get beat on regularly, or are treated like museum pieces. The fact that the tuner itself was not included with the car when sold, brings up a few questions for me. I would pass.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Came across a nice, low mile 2007 GT500 convertible for sale. The issue is that it has a JTL big mouth CAI and presumedly a tune that is unknown. It also doesn't have a tuner available. If I were to purchase a tuner, could I determine the tune and also remove and store the tune? I would like to get the stock tune back in the car and then reinstall and/or purchase a different performance tune, so I have it for the future. Any insight would be appreciated.
Easy. Buy a tuning device. Pick someone to write a true custom tune for you (I know a guy ;)) then drive to a Ford dealer and have them load the "as built" file onto your car.

THEN load the new custom tune base file. The sct device will store that new stock file it its memory so you can restore it if you wish.

You can also offload a copy of that file onto your computer for safekeeping.

Bj McCarty
Venomous Tuning

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Willie

Established Member
To add one comment, once a flash programmer has a tune written onto it and it's uploaded to your car, there is no way to reverse it out of your car to "read" it. So who and what tune you have currently is as alien as UFO's. We will never know.

I have been in a position where I had to reverse engineer a tune, basically to re-create a modified tune already on a car, knowing nothing about it to start. I've been able to re-create it to a certain degree but to get it exactly is impossible.

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
What BJ said^^^ I had an Uncle bring his GT500 with a custom tune into the dealership for some service and although the service writer was told of the custom tune the tech didn't get the message and did a factory tune update on the car that completely wiped the custom tune out and left him with a stock tune file in the car.

jghess

Easy. Buy a tuning device. Pick someone to write a true custom tune for you (I know a guy ;)) then drive to a Ford dealer and have them load the "as built" file onto your car.

THEN load the new custom tune base file. The sct device will store that new stock file it its memory so you can restore it if you wish.

You can also offload a copy of that file onto your computer for safekeeping.

Bj McCarty
Venomous Tuning

I thought this was the route I would have to take. I was hoping to determine and save the custom tune. Sounds like this is impossible.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I thought this was the route I would have to take. I was hoping to determine and save the custom tune. Sounds like this is impossible.
Call me in the office. 352 800 4407 9a-5p eastern weekdays

Users who are viewing this thread