2007 4.6 3V - Best replacement Spark Plug

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
This goes out to anyone who has an 05-08 4.6 3V that had the 16mm 'high thread' design - the dreaded 2-piece plug.

I intend to do a full-ish overhaul on my S197 when it arrives before I start tracking it; having read about the spark plug problems I felt I should deal with it sooner rather than later i.e. during a race meeting.

Some people are saying Brisk, some are saying Champion. Was looking for the thoughts of this community.

And does anyone know if the FRPP Set M-12405-3V0 are a 1-piece or a 2-piece set?

ncpower08

Established Member
I use auto light plugs. They are a two peace set but they work the best. The Champion set is called "1 peace" but all they did was make it a stronger 2 peace. Ford mesed up on this and no one has fixed it yet. I have a built and blowen motor that I drive the mess out of and change the plugs every 10,000 miles. so I aviod the plug from coming apart in the head. It is a pain but if I want performance it is gunna cost me. I would not go with eather one that has been recmonded to you because they dont produce the spark that an auto light will. That is just me tho.

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
Funny you should mention that; some follow up research showed that a lot of people were going down the '2-piece but change frequently' option.

I use auto light plugs. They are a two peace set but they work the best. The Champion set is called "1 peace" but all they did was make it a stronger 2 peace. Ford mesed up on this and no one has fixed it yet. I have a built and blowen motor that I drive the mess out of and change the plugs every 10,000 miles. so I aviod the plug from coming apart in the head. It is a pain but if I want performance it is gunna cost me. I would not go with eather one that has been recmonded to you because they dont produce the spark that an auto light will. That is just me tho.

ncpower08

Established Member
It works for me because it is not my DD. I have had it since 08 with 5 miles on it. Now I only have like 18k on her. It helps I have been eployed alot since I got her or I would have alot more miles on it.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I've only ran auto lite plugs in mine. since 07 when I bought it (its a 05 model), I've never had a broken plug (knock on wood) and they have lasted too. I run the HT0's though. Ford OEM plugs are made by auto lite for the earlier models

Riptide

Established Member
The heads are the problem not the plugs.

The HT0 are a 2 piece. I would get them over the brisks which are retarded expensive and not worth the extra money.

I believe HT1 are stock heat range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

djs197mustang

S197 Road Racer
Established Member
As I understand it; Autolite also make the Ford Racing plugs - correct?
And that set is one heat range colder like the HT0.

The heads are the problem not the plugs.

The HT0 are a 2 piece. I would get them over the brisks which are retarded expensive and not worth the extra money.

I believe HT1 are stock heat range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Turbostang91

Established Member
Do the spark plugs have problem to take them out?
Im planning to replace them and they are the stock ones on my 2007 Gt with 78,000 miles.

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member

Turbostang91

Established Member
I did dozen's of plugs that broke off. If you have that problem, before they break.....drive the vehicle for 5 miles after vehicle is at running temp, and then remove all the coils and crack them all free while it's hot. If not....this tool works awesome. Never had a plug i couldn't get out. Lisle Ford Broken Spark Plug Remover LIS 65600 (Alt 303-1203 303-1398) | Hard to Find Automotive Specialty Tools

ok i will buy the tool then try taking out plug that way thanks.

E.Marquez

Established Member
If you follow the TSP, 9.9999 of 10 plugs will come out without breaking off... You MUST take the time needed,, This is one job that if you rush, you will end up with a broken insulator. the Good news?? Unlike when i first did a set in 2006... it's such a common issue, the tool is available to remove the broken plug.. My first one was home made, but after that late Sunday.. I bought the lisle... Used it several times over the years while working on others cars for them.

If you follow the TSB, http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...r-ipBw&usg=AFQjCNG0GpXnV6qOu4jW0N1N_yTGklMBFg
the plugs will come out most times, if you follow the TSB and use the correct Nickel anti seize as directed, the plugs will come out the next time as well.
For the solvent, you’ll find lots of opinions, all I know is, the Ford Motorcraft recommended stuff, works very., very well dissolving the carbon.. it’s available at any dealer… and one can is all you need.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread