2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

A 6.0-liter V8 rated at 400 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque with a close-ratio manual transmission.

A 15-year-old vehicle that had been neglected and had been subjected to severe wash abuse.
This one was a challenge to restore it to..."as close as possible to a showroom new finish".

The paint was covered in some type of heavy "crud"...I'm not sure what it was or what to call it.
It was a heavy thick layer of some type of "funk" that was stuck on top of the tons of swirl marks.

After trying a few different pad/product combinations. A 3-4 step process pad/compound/polish worked.
NOTE: Every paint is different - Always test first. IMHO a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) is a must-have tool.
There were places on the paint that was already thin. These areas were barely touched. Clearcoat is precious.

Machine: Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and IBrid Nano.

Correction:
In some extreme areas CarPro Merino Wool Pad w/ Meguiars M101 (measure, polish, measure, polish, repeat...)
In most other areas Meg's microfiber cutting pad w/Scholl Concepts Shock 2 Cut Extreme Compound was fine.

Polishing:
Scholl Concepts 5 1/2" Purple Spider pad w/Scholl Concepts S2 - Extra Heavy Cut (not the same as Shock Cut)

Final Polishing:
Rupes Yellow Fine Foam Pad - 5" Dia. w/CarPro Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer

Last Step Products:
Cquartz Professional ceramic coating on paint and wheels
CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating on trim
CarPro Clarify Glass Cleaner on windows
OBSSSSD Tire Dressing - Matte finish

360 walk-around video - Please click bottom Gear for Quality 1080p w/audio

At this point, I thought I'd start with this 50/50 roof pic. Every part of the car looked like that.
2005-Pontiac-GTO-5-50-50-AMD.jpg

The Merlin Shot
2005-Pontiac-GTO-1-AMD.jpg

Left side
2005-Pontiac-GTO-2-AMD.jpg

Right Side
2005-Pontiac-GTO-3-AMD.jpg

Another hood shot.
2005-Pontiac-GTO-4-AMD.jpg

Thanks for Looking!

Any questions please feel free to ask.
Please post any feedback in a reply.
Question/Feedback is truly appreciated.

PLEASE subscribe to my social media channels!
A Miracle Detailing (@AMiracleDetail) | Twitter
AMiracleDetailing
A Miracle Detailing
Mike Moore (@amiracledetailing) • Instagram photos and videos

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks way, way better!
How long did that job take you?

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
2005 Pontiac GTO - Cyclone Grey Metallic - A Miracle Detailing - Cquartz Professional ceramic coating

A 6.0-liter V8 rated at 400 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque with a close-ratio manual transmission.

A 15-year-old vehicle that had been neglected and had been subjected to severe wash abuse.
This one was a challenge to restore it to..."as close as possible to a showroom new finish".

The paint was covered in some type of heavy "crud"...I'm not sure what it was or what to call it.
It was a heavy thick layer of some type of "funk" that was stuck on top of the tons of swirl marks.

After trying a few different pad/product combinations. A 3-4 step process pad/compound/polish worked.
NOTE: Every paint is different - Always test first. IMHO a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) is a must-have tool.
There were places on the paint that was already thin. These areas were barely touched. Clearcoat is precious.

Machine: Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and IBrid Nano.

Correction:
In some extreme areas CarPro Merino Wool Pad w/ Meguiars M101 (measure, polish, measure, polish, repeat...)
In most other areas Meg's microfiber cutting pad w/Scholl Concepts Shock 2 Cut Extreme Compound was fine.

Polishing:
Scholl Concepts 5 1/2" Purple Spider pad w/Scholl Concepts S2 - Extra Heavy Cut (not the same as Shock Cut)

Final Polishing:
Rupes Yellow Fine Foam Pad - 5" Dia. w/CarPro Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer

Last Step Products:
Cquartz Professional ceramic coating on paint and wheels
CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating on trim
CarPro Clarify Glass Cleaner on windows
OBSSSSD Tire Dressing - Matte finish

360 walk-around video - Please click bottom Gear for Quality 1080p w/audio

At this point, I thought I'd start with this 50/50 roof pic. Every part of the car looked like that.
View attachment 1620892
The Merlin Shot
View attachment 1620893
Left side
View attachment 1620894
Right Side
View attachment 1620895
Another hood shot.
View attachment 1620896

Thanks for Looking!

Any questions please feel free to ask.
Please post any feedback in a reply.
Question/Feedback is truly appreciated.

PLEASE subscribe to my social media channels!
A Miracle Detailing (@AMiracleDetail) | Twitter
AMiracleDetailing
A Miracle Detailing
Mike Moore (@amiracledetailing) • Instagram photos and videos
Well done indeed Mr. Clean!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice job bud. I have had a couple of those cars and really like them and that color is one of my favorites.
If you see the owner again tell him that I have a set of Kooks headers and mid pipes for it should he want a good sounding as well as a good looking car.
What paint gauge do you use?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you!

This took 3 days.
Day 1: Deep wash, Decon and polish hood.
Day2: Polish sides and roof
Day3: Polish trunk, bumpers, and install coating.
Nice!
About how long for the ceramic coated to cure with the lighting?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great work, again! I've always liked GTOs ('05 and '06) so this thread caught my attention. I guarantee the owner was VERY happy when he picked it up.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
That car makes me think that there is nothing that I would ever do to a cars paint that you couldn't fix.

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
That car makes me think that there is nothing that I would ever do to a cars paint that you couldn't fix.

WOW! That is very kind.

Sadly, I'm only as good as the canvas.
I think Michelangelo said something along the lines of..."The sculpture was there all along...I just chipped away the outer rock."
Now don't get me wrong I'm by no means close to a Michelangelo. I have no ego and I just try to do the best job I can each time.
I've got walls of machines, pads and products but I know my limitations. Sadly if I can't fix it..."Next stop body shop". (GRIN)
I have had some challenges and a few "Extreme Makeovers". In the end if I can keep it OEM "Showroom New" I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread