2005 hanging speedo in the cold

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I know there was a TSB on this, our truck never did it until well out of warranty. When it's cold the speed hangs and doesn't drop back to zero - anyone actually fixed this on theirs? I don't see paying for a whole new cluster.

For the time being I just throw it in engineering mode and make the gauges sweep, usually corrects it.

Ive seen people mention attempting to tape/glue down the gauge backing, pulling the speedo needle up on the mount a bit or taking it off and sanding down the black circular base. Lastly for $200 + shipping theres a company that supposedly rebuilds/upgrades the whole cluster and sends it back.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If the needle was rubbing or sticking I'd think it would happen more often. Might be worth pulling the cluster and cleaning and lubing the servo motor to see if it helps.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If the needle was rubbing or sticking I'd think it would happen more often. Might be worth pulling the cluster and cleaning and lubing the servo motor to see if it helps.

its a known issue, when the cab is cold its like the backing pulls up some the needle wont reset to 0. At a stop it might say sit at 50mph then when you're doing 40 it'll show 90. Once everything warms up it'll go back to normal

beau t

Established Member
So if you pulled the needle up a little bit it would clear? If your going to attempt this yourself you will break the tabs that hold the plastic interior around it so find more before you start or its going to rattle when put back together, what I'm referring to are the white tabs that lock the plastics in place
not the best pic and probably not the right clips but a example

s-l96.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread