2004 Vert

BillO

Established Member
I looked at a 2004 Vert this weekend with 27k miles on it , 100% stock ran great and looked great, The car Fax showed it had 5 previous owners, no issues no accidents or water damage. The only issue I found was the interior of the car really smelled moldy and musty, I also noticed that the bottom door hinges showed some rust as well at the seat back bottom hardware. What are your thoughts? Would you be concerned with buying this car?
Bill

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I looked at a 2004 Vert this weekend with 27k miles on it , 100% stock ran great and looked great, The car Fax showed it had 5 previous owners, no issues no accidents or water damage. The only issue I found was the interior of the car really smelled moldy and musty, I also noticed that the bottom door hinges showed some rust as well at the seat back bottom hardware. What are your thoughts? Would you be concerned with buying this car?
Bill
Yes. As has been said sounds like a flood car. That being said, take a look t my MC vert in the for sale section. On accident 14 years ago. Properly fixed then no issues since with 10800 on it lol

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
The verts have a pretty common issue where they leak at the corners of the rear window. If so, water typically builds up behind the seat where the cover folds.

It's something that is probably not easily noticed, and if you let enough water build it would probably leak out into other parts of the rear of the car (and make it smell from sitting so long). That doesn't explain the door hinge rust, though...

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
It could just be a clogged drain. If the drains aren't doing their job, the back seat floor board can get flooded.

I had that happen to my car, but I was able to remove the seat and carpeting and air it all out before it got bad or moldy. I also fixed the drain issue.

I wouldn't jump to "Flood Car" conclusion right off the bat. The convertible rain channels actually go inside the car (somewhat) to the drain holes.

But yeah - good luck with getting rid of the smell and/or mold if the Previous owner completely ignored it.

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
I purchased a 04 Cobra convertible as well with the same symptoms, after we finally got some rain here in SoCal I noticed the top leaks into back of the rear seat. Wouldn't jump to the conclusion it's a flood car.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
Low mileage and probably sitting out side. My brothers coupe had a similar issue. Parked outside, not touched for 1.5 yrs, opened it up and mold all over the seats and dash. Was a pita to clean.

BillO

Established Member
Current Owner has had the car for 3 years and its been garaged the previous owner was in Tennessee and was an insurance Agent according to the current owner. Again the rusty lower door hinges , and the seat track being rusty concern me.

Systemax302

Established Member
What color is the car and how much do they want? Is it a smokin' deal or something?
I personally wouldn't touch it... Just move on. Plenty of Terminators around.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Maybe exposed to water or maybe not. As mentioned, check for residual settling.
If it was just stored in a damp environment, surface rust will happen.
Do a thorough check.
If it's decent, bargain the seller & take it home. Or, keep looking if it doesn't pan out.
It's not like the Terminator market is scarce, many of these are for sale.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Current Owner has had the car for 3 years and its been garaged the previous owner was in Tennessee and was an insurance Agent according to the current owner. Again the rusty lower door hinges , and the seat track being rusty concern me.
You have a nagging concern about this car. That = PASS on it.

Car is black seller wants $21K has new tires
$21K is on the higher end, price wise. You can do MUCH better. That price coupled with your rush/mold concerns again = PASS on it.

EDIT: Just noticed you decided to pass on it. Good move. There are other (better) fish in the sea.

Users who are viewing this thread