2004 Focus SVT driver side axle wiggle

f1rules

Established Member
Hi guys,
My son and I noticed his 2004 SVT has been leaking what seemed to be oil.
When we replaced the dog bone tranny mount, we noticed the driver side axle seal has been leaking.
In cleaning the leak, I also noticed that the axle has some play, not in and out but around. Not much, it barely moves, but it is noticeable. I am not sure if this is normal or not.
Is this just a matter of replacing the seal or is there a bushing/bearing behind the seal that would also need to be replaced?
Thanks for your help in advance!

f1rules

Established Member
Hi Steve,
It is definitely leaking on the ground. Leaves a puddle of about the size of a fried egg.

f1rules

Established Member
I was actually going to buy the parts from Tasca, along with the driver and passenger side mounts/insulators but I wanted to know if it was just a matter of seals or something else in addition to that.

Steve@Tasca

It's possible you have an incorrectly made axle, I honestly don't know how much movement should be there if any. Have you replaced it or was it a previous owner?

PM me your list and I'll get you prices and part numbers on whatever you need.

-Steve

f1rules

Established Member
Long story... Had to have the clutch changed. Looks like mechanic had never done a clutch job on an SVTF. Ordered wrong parts, including the clutch cylinder. It broke after installation. We took it back and according to him they got the correct clutch. Clutch pedal no longer loses pressure.
During the lowering and installing the clutch at least 3 times they ended up replacing the axle. And it has leaked since then.
I haven't taken it back because of obvious reasons. Mechanic is good and has worked on my other cars, but he just didn't know enough about the SVTF.
So, I am wondering if the axle is the wrong one. I have seen many axles for Focus and it seems like the SVT are particular.
I will PM you.
Thanks.

Steve@Tasca

Long story... Had to have the clutch changed. Looks like mechanic had never done a clutch job on an SVTF. Ordered wrong parts, including the clutch cylinder. It broke after installation. We took it back and according to him they got the correct clutch. Clutch pedal no longer loses pressure.
During the lowering and installing the clutch at least 3 times they ended up replacing the axle. And it has leaked since then.
I haven't taken it back because of obvious reasons. Mechanic is good and has worked on my other cars, but he just didn't know enough about the SVTF.
So, I am wondering if the axle is the wrong one. I have seen many axles for Focus and it seems like the SVT are particular.
I will PM you.
Thanks.

Ouch, no fun. A regular Focus axle won't fit an SVT at all, different splines and diameter so if anything it's at least mostly correct. My guess is a bad/damaged axle seal is more likely the problem. I'll get to your list momentarily.

-Steve

Assunta

Bump from the dead. First post from a new member, but I appear to have similar symptoms.

PO had the clutch replaced and the shop ended up replacing axles and seals at the same time (sound familiar?)... looks like they were a little rough on the drivers seal as its metal cover plate looks a little dented and it's currently leaking. While under the car yesterday I took a video of the movement:
https://youtu.be/WYpuQXEYHKk See specifically 0:34

Things to note:
- car was up on stands, wheels off and idling in first gear with passenger side rotating
- I was trying to diagnose some noise I was getting from the passenger side and you can hear a random noise which I suspect is just some lash from not being under load.
- 156k miles on the transaxle.

Did f1rules ever resolve his issue? I saw his last login was last month so I'll try a PM as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

f1rules

Established Member
Hi Assunta,
We finally got everything replaced as far as the seals and axles are concerned. No more transaxle fluid leakage. However, car still has that play when gas is off and on. Also sounds like a subtle clunck from tranny. BTW, YouTube vid never loads.
Thanks for following up.

f1rules

Established Member
Hey guys, update on the issue.

See videos for the play. This is with the front end on jacks.

Driver side:
Passenger side:

f1rules

Established Member
The above videos are accompanied by a clunk which is heard and felt where the shafts enter the diff/tranny.

1Slowfocusst

Established Member
Sounds like bearings in the diff are beginning to wear out which is common. I've done several over the years when I worked as a R&R tech at a transmission shop

Sent from a turbo go kart
#3704 of 14036

Users who are viewing this thread