2004 150 5.4l engine failsafe mode

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Hey guys I really need some help. I've had my 04 F150 4D Lariat for about 9 months and I cant even drive it anymore. The day I got the truck the Engine Failsafe Mode kicked on. I had the previous owner take it to Beldon Village Ford in Canton Ohio. 2 days later she called me and said that Ford said it was a fuse in the passenger kick panel for the ABS system that had rattled loose. About 3 months later the light came right back on. Now when it comes on heres what happens...As I am driving the ABS and red BRAKE light will come on. about 10 seconds later the ENGINE light comes on followed by a chime and the truck falls on its face. No power and it feels like the truck is choking itself. I reset the same fuse and I was back on the road. Gradually the time in between the mode kicking back on shrank and now I cannot drive it unless I want to get the 4 mpg that I have been getting recently when Its on.

I took the truck to Sharpnack Ford in Willard Ohio. The SM advised that there is a TSB for the TPS that would fix these same symptoms. I agreed to have it replaced and flashed to my PCM. I spent $300. Not even 2 days later the FAILSAFE MODE comes back on. I take it back to sharpnack ford. He says, oh it must be the throttle body, book says replace and retest. I wasn't willing to replace the throttle body unless there was some sort of level of certainty that the throttle body was the issue. He couldn't give it. I told him to find me more concrete evidence that pointed to the throttle body. He couldn't. 3 weeks later he hands me the keys and says we don't know what the problem is, here take it.

I found a known working throttle body off of a 06. I put my TPS on it and install the throttle body on my truck. Same issues almost immediately. I put his throttle body back on his truck and it drove fine. Called ford, said its probably the PCM.

I just ordered a used PCM and it gets here tomorrow. May not be able to get it installed and programmed till next Monday.

I noticed there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for the Electronic Throttle Bodies, PCM, and TCM on these 04-08 trucks, but Ford is only telling me to save the receipts until after the lawsuit is settled.

I stopped and talked to a Ford Tech at Donley Ford in Shelby Ohio. He says its sounds like RF interference.

Heres my question.... What do I test or how do I test for RF interference. Only code is Forced Throttle Induction

So many people have this issue but never update the site once they get it figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

text for quicker replies 419-689-4314

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Ok, an update.

During the previous diagnostics the tech at Sharpnack Ford thought there was an issue with "the network" but couldn't duplicate the issue to trace it. The SM told me that something was "bringing down the network" and that they couldn't figure out what it was. I had them install the new PCM. Before they even got it out of the bay the failsafe mode kicked back in. The tech was able to find a code that linked back to the ABS module having something to do with the network, so it is our guess that the ABS module is in fact the module that is "bringing down the network." The ABS system on its own will not put the engine into failsafe mode, but if the module is not communicating through the network it will and it would explain the brake and abs lights.

Tuesday I receive my new ABS module/pump assy. I will let you know how it goes.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Well since so many people are commenting on this.. Ill keep updating it. I replaced the ABS module and still the same, so another week of testing and Ford engineers or whoever the dealership called for help said that the ABS module is bad, so I got a replacement one for my first replacement. Ford took it and pulled the electronic portion off and noticed that my first replacement was corrorded like crazy..its used... so instead of changing it, they just cleaned it and reinstalled it. Truck ran fine for 4 test drives. As soon as I pay the $505 labor bill and drive it off the lot.... bam Failsafe Mode.

Fing Pissed.

So now Im replacing the electronic part myself and we will see how it goes.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
Took it to an independent electric shop, found the problem within 20 mins. Apparently this is a commonish issue, he said the power wire from the fuse box on the passenger floorboard to the abs module was loose. He said the fuse box is a bad design and if I have the same issue later, then I wI'll need to replace the box

Users who are viewing this thread