2003cobra#2's 3.4 Whipple Build

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
A little background for thoes that don't know me. I've always been under the radar here. I purchased my vert Cobra slightly used back around 2005. I later found out it was previously a Ford corporate vehicle and build #2! My first build on this car I had a shop do. It was a 2.2 Kenne Bell 1st gen, 60lb injectors, bap, and SCT2600 maf. Combo made 602 rwhp. Fast forward 10+ years later and here I am ready to upgrade. This will be the last final build I will ever do. Being that I'm 43 years old and starting to focus on building for my retirement I'm not going to be selling this car. Knock on wood I don't race the car, just a fun weekend toy that may see the track for fun one day so hopefully no blown engines.

Currently the car is rolling on stock tires / wheels, stock rear end. I do have a spec stage 3+ clutch, billet flywheel, and stainless works long tube headers with the matching 3" hi flow catted x and 3" cat back. Eventually I will get stickier tires, beef up the rear, and 26 spline input.

Now for the fun part. Plan is to do a 3.4 Whipple on E85 (non crusher) . I will also do a 93 tune as a backup just incase I'm traveling and can't find E85. I will also be doing cams and springs. As of right now I don't plan on degreeing the cams as I'm not looking to squeeze every bit of power out of the car.

I'm starting this thread because I'm going to have questions and need advice / help I'm sure of it. Thank you all!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Progress: I have the blower off and sold. Valve covers off, brake booster moves, engine mounts loose, and have started to remove the front timing cover.
4a78fc0089c099681fa358816a464f33.jpg
ad54fb7babde81c58f82d53d9848cb9c.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
No way in hell I'd install aftermarket cams without degreeing, especially if you go big cams. My 98 cobra cams were off 8 degrees per bank.

I'd ditch the 3.4 idea and degree your cams if you want to be happy. Valve springs in the car is going to be a nightmare, I did valve seals on the pass side of my car once and it was brutal.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Why run E85 and nonCrusher 3.4L? The 3.4L needs air in the boost range that most run E85.

Good luck with the build.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Man.

I dont know much but i do know fo sho you gotta degree those cams. 100% must. If you are worried about motor getting hurt, cant see you skipping this step

Should be stout when done. Be alot left on table without tougher components behind it. But hopefully you can get to them sooner rather then later.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
Why run E85 and nonCrusher 3.4L? The 3.4L needs air in the boost range that most run E85.

Good luck with the build.

I agree. The 3.4 causes a lot of issues to run then to choke it up with a standard inlet is really just a kick in the nuts.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Looks like I will be degreeing the cams. I have the time to do the research and make it right. I got the blower for $2400 that's why I chose this particular one. Maybe I need to look at the crusher upgrade before I put the blower on. How many HP do you think the crusher is good for?

Edit: also I'll be using this to do the springs
3ed3eb0024d28800fbfbe8296adae4fe.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
Looks like I will be degreeing the cams. I have the time to do the research and make it right. I got the blower for $2400 that's why I chose this particular one. Maybe I need to look at the crusher upgrade before I put the blower on. How many HP do you think the crusher is good for?

Edit: also I'll be using this to do the springs
View attachment 1619013

That is really a question that is hard to answer. If in the end your run 17psi then the crusher will not really be worth it. As you go higher in blower rpms and you exceed the ~1200cfm the stock inlet has your gains will be greater as long as the rest of your intake track is up to spec.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Nice! Another build thread to watch! Good luck

I think the cams are an interesting addition.....but they have not historically been friendly on the terminator motors when running pump gas. Cylinder temps run higher and so does IAT2s.....a bad combo for street driving. Add in the fact you're on a big 3.4 blower, barely spinning for the 93 tune....performance will suffer dramatically once you're on the road. Might make a great, completely cool, hero dyno run....but tapers off quickly in the real world.

Running E85 is definitely scenario A for cam swaps as cylinder temps are naturally lower....but you need to spin that 3.4 properly to take advantage of the corn juice so CFM matters. You need to crusher!

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd keep your eyes peeled for a crusher inlet. Then you can source the tubing and throttle body no prob. Crusher inlets pop up here and there, eBay, Facebook. I'm doing the exact same blower build as you and decided to go crusher inlet at 25-26#'s.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
OK so I'm having a hard time getting the lower caged pulley off. I stopped by Harbor freight and picked this up. I can use a pipe to extend the handle if I need too. Any tips here?
84cbfe01f51665d294513f88a5d6b56a.jpg
800a8b9e8088cbc9131f3f6f1ab431ab.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You can use a 1/2" ratchet but you will need to give it a good blow with a 3# sledge. One good shot and it will spin right off. As others have mentioned, it's reverse thread.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
So I got it off. Had to crank on it really hard, heated it up some with a torch. I did notice when I spun the pulley on the bridge it did wobble a bit. Bit sure if that's because it's not threaded in to the crank. I'll have to give it a good once over before I put it back on.

In the mean time I've been watching videos and reading up on cam degreeing. I'll need to research the heck out of this before I attempt. Fun

With a bit of luck I'll have the timing cover off Ina couple days and I can start to order up the cams and hardware.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
E85 is going to be the main tune and the 93 tune is just for a backup.
THAT'S good news. Someone was looking for a Crusher inlet in another thread and someone noted an eBay recent sale that was around $600. I searched eBay yesterday and didn't find any. They do show up and might be your best source for one. You'll just have to be patient. You can set up eBay to alert you when one comes up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread