2003 cobra snapped idler pulley and overheated bad

Modestoe3

Established Member
Tonight on my way home from the track one of my idler pulleys snapped on the freeway, it was from the secondary belt behind the supercharger belt that drives the alternator and crank, I think I went a couple miles with the belt snapped I didn’t realize it until I felt my power steering gone, I noticed that my temp gauge was always normal didn’t move but I noticed that the coolant temps where around 220 on my sct x4 so I decided to pull into the exit and all of a sudden coolant spilled everywhere into my windshield I shut it off and checked it out. The idler pulley had snapped off and coolant had came out the reservoir tank out of how much it overheated, my question is you guys think the car will be fine considering I probably drove a couple miles with the temps raising and me not knowing because of the gauge not moving, or should I got ahead and do a compression test or anything you guys recommend me to check see if the engine was hurt?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Modestoe3

Established Member
I should also add the car went into limp mode for a second right before I turned it off

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Modestoe3

Established Member
Great! I’ll be doing that today! Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
220 isn't that bad

Assuming it was 220, it overheated cause that belt has the water pump on it. No circulation means the sensor wasn't reading coolant coming out of the heads just coolant sitting on the sensor. Should be fine though, just replace the pulley and the belt should be good to go.

MG0h3

Established Member
Get aftermarket idlers. The factory ones are known to come apart.

The outer belt runs the blower and alternator. Nothing else.

Your inner belt runs the water pump and everything else.

On my phone so searching is difficult but if you haven’t had your lower off it can be a bear.

Dave.O

Established Member

On my phone so searching is difficult but if you haven’t had your lower off it can be a bear.

True, I had a factory idler shred taking out the belt which subsequently took out my power steering reservoir

Modestoe3

Established Member
Thanks for the responds guys! I replaced the front idlers last week trying to avoid this problem haha

Modestoe3

Established Member

wckdvnm

Established Member
You’re fine; I had a air pocket and I have a slow leak in my oil cooler. Mine got to 270 and it’s still fine. Matter of fact still had full compression and just made 480/515 upper only.

Last edited:

Modestoe3

Established Member
Update. I just removed everything and realized I needed to remove the crank pulley to put the belt on ‍♂️ now I understand why mgoh3 said removing the your lower can be a bear!
So I decided to get a 4lb lower since I already have a ported blower and 2.8 upper. Been wanting to go 4lb lower and since I have to the remove the lower I might as well swap in to the 4lb I’ve been wanting! Thanks for the thread on how to remove it helps me a lot

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Update. I just removed everything and realized I needed to remove the crank pulley to put the belt on ‍♂️ now I understand why mgoh3 said removing the your lower can be a bear!
So I decided to get a 4lb lower since I already have a ported blower and 2.8 upper. Been wanting to go 4lb lower and since I have to the remove the lower I might as well swap in to the 4lb I’ve been wanting! Thanks for the thread on how to remove it helps me a lot

Blessing in disguise :)

Users who are viewing this thread