Year: 2003
Model: Mustang Cobra SVT
Color: Torch Red
VIN: 1FAFP48Y93F300411
2nd Owner
No accidents
Title in hand

The Photos

Lb6FWIVgu1pRm-MXEn6-fKqLZ0IOwqCWBJKtQj049HUTKjdNaevflKPGEPcINT7LFm-z4Q=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

KPtys1JDW2RtOOeEUSLnAMonoQuxIL7IygLIJ-SKyGkUFv302rCy9zLA1se7JyTDvKjpuv=w2543-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

c1b3XpuxjMJRsaO7E6ijc-sZZeSqpTJOnB803-bvmED20zOqCu9VsptqObcqq0ru9mc91D=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

yBinr0LNyEjaUZCWXbRlm88UHpJmQZ4TuVJIIuVHIUBMOlfdbjsOe2vQrFdITQQRWKYjOY=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

6XXpHowJOHAZcPjaS-RJgaE2Hmao2J5bF0X1AddEfsy3JsBewpp5DC9IB4BFv3N7IHyuGG=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

jkWxTJQFw1PHK0587BmQ49Dirjy2pwrbW_YCfl0Cwd5F0MYatqPqhks1T2hGWBq2Kk75V5=w2708-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

3KzIzA8e3m_xJbfdrm9OLWRbqUQxuFeZ3m0LakMbl7lBedSas1VMX8jdGRTzmzBz4lz-UJ=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

jC4ogyfQZi81esmC1w1Ho8hcGKAks2uN9xSa2jWpa8dPFvFBOVrGi0QUBI1RvSi21lCBrh=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

dcZL8H_bT_4jO8GXzAzi2aLjQOrQJ4bcNPlIxhYU3Rxx9OU-DKnMaloTC9DwZW5Ngyss8o=w2703-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

bDhiLBDKLrdPLfaGOKlH0ZUWZ4Tl0CBGc4V6xo_9tKArEF5b5xnubaj7CLTd4Hn66T9BZw=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

ZqQCkHZTQW8g5y5kZuTE19s-NR2CQyz_Kd6xP-gia51Hd_TiudsPFfjovHCNBDX-QELHPr=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

Q5c2Kcb9H6mOGXGHVL8aCvKU_Egy1yzk9pz6fxgaxVWi2VQ5MI77H1hbtb9ney9-j3tG0S=w2370-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

WoFTOo1Z8sVy8JT46SutxFwI0QP3qlJ3Ga5gU16dJvLwt3xamORsuPUBJuGf2J0sSfWnx3=w3724-h1717-no?authuser=0.jpg

vNpbGuapQZHyVLPST3kLByTzM7AmxEOCyMDN_g9mLNwhFByOmbkbuM7sxQrXpOp-gWnHoA=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

Bb5BeHNDoHH_hH2bIEffM7cwdebNongpqsmPWgbKtZdv907T-lQ4bD7alJu0EIBL6QUvjC=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

pngF7_38l1CVpE16leJjIOvjb0jovaCKmZdnXWDFCEG_dK26Q2MBz10jYo_NmlV2554UUm=w1415-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

YOk3ROWGMwo-wVx0VukZiqfamFP-o_sUdwKnjkEyIhQfS74JbE_HiCPyMzTMfCa1Zgtf7b=w1415-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

WOS6WPIazwUkVOHIClUfVYR6rkJZxTj_dPk532g1w0mM9dhr_ceTCfSbUIBtGn4ndI_JWp=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

upload_2021-4-23_14-22-1.png

z_2VfN0uUYQBMK-k4xUgGJSRiGroN50LdEWo1lm0uemaXOmS2ynvw7Dd3uNkrZlCXPrcLP=w2378-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

zLcLptRnKKft0JgsJrpxEDbGZQpljS63RJvxU5XdSytLG-P-Fn1ls_lvHpgRmfVRoFJk-V=w2515-h1885-no?authuser=0.jpg

More High Resolution Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdkjMwpiQd96AkAf7

Video of me describing the car saying "umm" about a thousands times. Includes a startup and rev:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wuLcSknt6DeDSneeA

Idle sound:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JxwhWwKraDToYEMC9

Persona

This is the type of car for someone who wants it all without going too extreme in any one direction. This car has power, it has handling, but it also retains creature comforts and everyday drivability. It has a number of weight reduction modifications to lighten it up and distribute the weight more evenly across all four wheels.

History

I have a long history with Mustangs. In the past I had a Mach 1 back in Detroit. Funny enough, I also sold here SVT Performance (old here) and hence my account name. When I moved to California, I wanted another SN95, one that could pass state emissions but still be lots of fun. I bought the 2003 Cobra that's for sale in this post from the original owner here on SVT Performance back in July 2017 (link here). The original owner had bought it new back in 2002 and slowly modified the car until it’s current state. He was 70, retiring, and wanted to transition into other hobbies so the car went up for sale. I flew down to San Diego to pick up the car and drove it back to northern California. I’ve put about 5,000 miles on it without much of anything aside from some maintenance.

In 2020, when the registration was coming up, I went to smog the car and learned that the state of California had flagged my vehicle for a referee check. The shop found this by entering my VIN into state’s database, before even connecting my vehicle’s OBDII port. I called BAR to learn they have flagged my vehicle because their records indicate that that an aftermarket tune was detected. They needed to see proof that I had the car re-flashed by Ford before they would then perform a visual inspection. Not good. I eventually put the car into a PNO (planned non-operation) until I could sort it out.

After doing some digging, I found that this happened to many other folks. It seems that the state changed their testing procedures and retroactively went back to previous smog tests (for me it was the one from the previous owner) and detected a checksum (think fingerprint) value from the ECU that indicated it was running a calibration that was not from the manufacture. The vehicle has CARB components, cats etc. but the tune was done by a tuner shop. Say what you want about the state... but talk about big brother. It was inevitable I would run across this issue. Between the crate engine block (the referees check the block casting to make sure it matches the VIN), the compression ratio, MAF, injectors, and the pulley; a referee would be tough to pass even if I could go back to a stock tune.

Fast forward to present day, I move the car every so often around, but otherwise it remains on a PNO and I can’t drive it on the road. Alas, I have decided that the state wins and the car is posted for sale. Because of all of this, only buyers who will register the vehicle outside of the state of California will be considered.

Drivetrain
  • 4.6L Ford Racing Aluminator Crate Long Block - 8.5:1 Compression (M-6007-A46SC)
  • Whipple 2.3L with 17# pulley
  • Larger MAF and Injectors
  • Conservative tune on 91 oct (561whp @ 6100, 506wtq @ 4500)
  • Motor installed/tuned by Superior Automotive in San Diego @ 54,400 miles
  • Rebuilt & upgraded transmission by Westminster Transmission and new McLeod Twin RXT twin disc clutch and alum. flywheel; installed @ 89,000 miles
  • Aftermarket intake
  • Magnaflow Exhaust cat-back and x-pipe
  • High capacity and balanced fuel injectors
  • Dual Ford GT fuel pumps, D'Agostine Racing fuel pump driver.
  • Rebuilt rear end by JBA, with 3.73 gears and Torsen LSD.
  • Aftermarket Radiator
  • External oil cooler

Suspension

Complete Maximum Motorsports suspension
  • Coil-over springs
  • Caster/camber plates
  • K-member
  • A-arms
  • Bump steer kits front and rear
  • Bushings
  • Upgraded IRS support

Front Brakes
  • Stop Tech front calipers
  • Stainless lines on front calipers.
  • 2-piece aluminum slotted Aero rotors with Hawk HP+ pads installed @ 102,000
  • Hi temp brake fluid
Rear Brakes
  • Rear extreme rotors
  • Hawk HPS pads installed @ 102,000
Wheels:

• 17” FR500 Replicas
  • Front - 275/40ZR17 Falken Azenis FK453
  • Rear – 315/35R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S (These are new <50 miles)
Body:
  • Original paint
  • Fiberglass heat extraction hood by "Carlos”
  • Newer headlight assemblies, with Nokya 7000k pro halogen bulbs.

Interior
  • Original Radio
  • Original Speakers
  • Original Climate Control – Heat and A/C work
  • Full set of gauges; air to fuel ratio, oil temperature, coolant, oil pressure, boost, MSD settable digital shift light
  • Corbeau "Sports Seats" with G-Force harnesses, and rear seat delete kit
  • 4-point powder coated roll bar with cross brace, bolted in.

Condition

I've gotten many compliments on this car. It's been garage kept it's entire life and has seen rain maybe a dozen times in its life. It shows. The paint looks is in good condition and all of the rubber moldings are in excellent condition. That said, its not not a perfect a car as it's been driven. Here's some condition notes that I think are noteworthy, good and bad.
  • CD changer isn’t working. AM/FM radio work fine
  • There’s some rock chips from normal wear and tear of this mileage
  • The fiberglass hood had some cosmetic fractures
  • The passenger wiper motor clicks when it runs. Not a big deal since this isn’t the type of car driven in the rain.
  • Oil changed 200 miles ago
  • Rear tires changed 50 miles ago
  • I don't have the original wheels or hood.
  • I have the title in hand. You'll note it says "Duplicate" at the top. This is because I had the state print a new copy as the original was lost during a move to my new place in Sacramento.
  • Has both sets of original keys and fobs
  • Battery maintainer included

Conclusion

I didn't want to have to sell this car, but alas here we are. This will be a fun vehicle for the next owner. I realize some buyers may be far away. Between the contents of the post and the pictures I'm trying to provide as much information as possible for those folks. Let me know if you have any questions!

Asking $19,800 OBO.

Title in hand. No trades. Cash Preferred, Certified Check considered.

PM or Call/Text to ‪(312) 544-9243‬. Please note I'm in Pacific Time.

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-23_14-23-53.png
    upload_2021-4-23_14-23-53.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:

MachFun

Looks like I had a double post.

Edit: Can a mod remove the duplicate post? I can't seem to figure out how to do it myself.

Last edited:

GoGreen04

Established Member
Sucks to hear about what you've been going through. All the emissions BS is the way of the future. I'm sure in time many more of us will be dealing with similar situations in other States. Good luck with sale.

Adower

Established Member
Dang. There is no way you can register it out of state somehow? I've heard of people doing something like within the state of Montana.

MachFun

Registering out of state isn't legal. Local law enforcement have wised up to the Montana LLC and have cracked down on that kind of stuff. If you have an RV, supercar, or modified sports car, that blue Montana plate is a bullseye that your dodging taxes and/or emissions.

It's not worth it in my eyes. If it was, I'd still be ripping around in my old Mach 1.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Registering out of state isn't legal. Local law enforcement have wised up to the Montana LLC and have cracked down on that kind of stuff. If you have an RV, supercar, or modified sports car, that blue Montana plate is a bullseye that your dodging taxes and/or emissions.

It's not worth it in my eyes. If it was, I'd still be ripping around in my old Mach 1.

It is absolutely legal. If you own a business in another state, there's this thing called Federalism allowing you to do exactly what is mentioned above preventing CA from doing shit about it.

As much as CA loves to trample on the US Constitution, it doesnt mean they are right.

You'd win in Federal court 10x out of 10.

Adower

Established Member

If you have a business there and everything is by the book, what can they do?

MachFun

I'm happy to dive into the topic of out-of-state plates and their legality in CA on a separate thread if folks really want to. I'd like to keep the topic at hand... selling my ride :)

BIGONTS

Established Member
Awesome car. Few Q's. Is the roll bar bolted in or welded? Do you have the stock seats and hood? Tuning device included? Thanks,

wckdvnm

Established Member
It is absolutely legal. If you own a business in another state, there's this thing called Federalism allowing you to do exactly what is mentioned above preventing CA from doing shit about it.

As much as CA loves to trample on the US Constitution, it doesnt mean they are right.

You'd win in Federal court 10x out of 10.

So many people aren’t up to date about CA’s BS on this specifically. So many of us trying to avoid the smog BS can’t anymore. Law enforcement has wised up to this and has even created a paid Snitch program that pays to report cars that have out of state plates but in-state residency. They get money and you get fined... large.

Also free bump for OP.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So many people aren’t up to date about CA’s BS on this specifically. So many of us trying to avoid the smog BS can’t anymore. Law enforcement has wised up to this and has even created a paid Snitch program that pays to report cars that have out of state plates but in-state residency. They get money and you get fined... large.

Also free bump for OP.

Plenty of ways out. Keep looking.

ToFastTooCare

Hi, also interested and have not posted enough to PM you. Cash in hand. Can you send me some contact information? I'm looking for a car to take road racing and this looks like it is partially set up for that. Thank you.

MachFun

Thanks for the inquiries folks. For those who can't PM can call/text (312) 544-9243‬. Note I'm in Pacific Time.

Users who are viewing this thread