2001 SVT Cobra IRS Swap....

iLoveCOBRAS_559

Established Member
The IRS to my 2001 SVT Cobra is going out. I just ordered a 03/04 IRS from ebay for $1,500 + shipping($300) = $1,800. I also ordered new sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, and a Ford racing irs differential cover. Mine as well get those replaced before installing the IRS. Now once I make all those changes and install the IRS I ordered from ebay. What difference will it make for my car? Will my launches be better? Will I chirp all the way to 3rd, 4th gear? lol.. I hope im doing the right thing here. I dont plan to race/abuse my car. She is my baby and I plan to take great care of her. But ever now and then a little rice rocket or muscle car may pull up trying to show off. :nono:.... Any advice will be great. Thank you very much.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Personal opinion, I think you're overspending where you don't need to. Yes there are some differences between the 2001 and 2003 IRS, primarily the half shafts.

If the center section was on it's way out, it likely just needed a rebuild, which is much less costly that putting in a new (used) 2003 IRS. You can also add upgraded half shafts to the 2001 unit, which would be stronger than the factory 2003 half shafts as well.

iLoveCOBRAS_559

Established Member
Personal opinion, I think you're overspending where you don't need to. Yes there are some differences between the 2001 and 2003 IRS, primarily the half shafts.

If the center section was on it's way out, it likely just needed a rebuild, which is much less costly that putting in a new (used) 2003 IRS. You can also add upgraded half shafts to the 2001 unit, which would be stronger than the factory 2003 half shafts as well.

Really? well darn it. I already ordered the irs. It only has 50k miles on it. Thank you for your reply.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Really? well darn it. I already ordered the irs. It only has 50k miles on it. Thank you for your reply.

If you already ordered it, it's kinda done, but you can sell your current IRS to somebody looking for one. That should offset some cost.

Here's the thing about buying an IRS out of a car though... The reason it's for sale is because it came out of a car with a stick axle going in it. That generally means the car has been drag raced enough for that mod to make sense. You'll probably want to get a rebuild kit for the center section and have it done while you're at it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IMO you would've been better off buying the bushings and rebuilding what you had.

That being said I'd look over the bushings before you install it. Make sure everything is good shape. You don't want to have to do this twice.

Last edited:

iLoveCOBRAS_559

Established Member
IMO you would've been better off buying the bushings and rebuilding what you had.

That being said I'd look over the bushings before you install it. Make sure everything is good shape. You don't want to have to do this twice.
What would it cost to replace all bushings? I am paying $500 for the labor. I mine as well get everything I can out of it.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I don't know if I would call the full tilt boogie kit easy to install. The bushings are quite hard to get out especially the subframe bushings. Getting the irs back in is quite hard too. My cobra has a 04 cobra irs and with the bushings replaced and all ftbr parts. Its will burn the tires off all the way through 3 gear.

Aaim415

Established Member
Would you be interested in selling the 99/01 IRS or trading if for a 8.8 SRA with 3.27 gears to keep on the side..? Either or?

Users who are viewing this thread