2001 Silver Cobra Build Thread - Turbo

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I'm going to start this thread as I prepare to start working on the car. I purchased the car a few months ago from one of our members (SSSSSSSSSSSSVT) who was great to deal with. I was looking for a roller to mess with and this car fit the bill. I am currently distracted by trying to get my 1969 Mustang Mach 1 back on the road. That should be in a few weeks (or months due to unforeseen problems) as I am really close to having everything installed and on the car. I spent the afternoon today looking at deficiencies with the car, and what I might need to source for parts. Luckily there are quite a few engine parts that came with the car that I will not have to source piecemeal.

Here is the ad with details for reference: FOR SALE: - 2001 Cobra Roller - $6500

Here is my current plan:

Engine:
I have a 99 Cobra engine in pieces I have had stored away for about 10 years. It is a teksid block. I had thought about other swaps, but having an engine in pieces already, I feel like I want to just put what would have come from the factory back into the car. While a Coyote swap would be interesting, I keep wanting to go back to what I grew up with before becoming a grumpy middle aged man. The Teksid block will probably need a sleeve due to some scoring in one of the cylinders. That is one of the negatives to the block, otherwise it seems fine. The heads will also need some work, although I will probably look for some C heads instead of the stock 99 heads. I missed out on a set of ported C heads a few months ago for about half of the price of buying a set and sending it off. I will need to find someone that can do the machine work. I haven't purchased rods or pistons of course until it goes to the machine shop. I am still on the fence about assembling myself. The intake is the regular Cobra intake.

Power Adder:
I want to go turbo on this car. I used to own a Terminator, and also an N/A 97 Cobra. I want to build a Turbo car this time. I haven't decided on how I want to do this or whether I want to go single or twins. I'll be researching that as I work on other items.

Transmission:
The car doesn't have a transmission so I feel like there are two options here. The first would be a T-56 as that is what I am familiar with and it will hold up to the power. The other option would be to put a 6R80 into it. I know there are pros to a manual for the fun factor, but there are also pros to running an auto with a turbo.

Interior:
Repair and replace anything broken. There are a few of the common wear parts inside. I also pulled the aftermarket radio out as I don't really care about the radio. I might just throw a stock radio back in because I'm kind of weird like that. The seats are too bad, but they do have some wear. Afterall, they are 21 years old.

Exterior:
Mostly some paint repair of a few areas. I'll probably leave the cowl hood on the car. The front 99/01 bumper is not an original, it is a fiberglass reproduction. I will probably leave it on the car as I will not feel bad modifying it if I need to in order to facilitate the turbo. The side skirt on the drivers side will need the paint fixed and also the scratches on the hood from the hood pins being pulled. The rear bumper is an 03-04 Cobra bumper. I'll probably keep the 18" wheels that are already on it. The headlights are toast and need replaced which is normal for cars of this age. Hell, my Terminator needed them replaced in 2008 due to how foggy they were.

Suspension:
It already has a UPR tubular K-member and other suspensions upgrades. I will probably just inspect everything to make sure it is still good. If I find something I want to tweak, then I'll get to it later. These mods were one of the reasons why I wanted to get the car.

Fuel System:
TBD. I was under the car today and saw it has an upgraded fuel line. Hopefully that means it also has upgraded pumps. I'll figure that out when I drop the fuel tank to inspect.

Here is a picture of the car sitting in my yard. It's sitting in my shop and filthy right now so no other pictures.

Attachments

• 20220213_125613.jpg
    20220213_125613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Not really. The over 60+ days of 100 degree heat, and dropping a bunch of money on HVAC repairs have stalled me out for a while. My shop isn't complete so it does not have cooling. After having the Rona this summer, it killed my energy levels. It wasn't that bad, but I felt tired for the past few months after just an hour or two outside. It's only in the past month where I've been able to work for hours non-stop again.

I have a few more things to do to get my Mach 1 on the road before I jump into the Cobra. I needed my welder for that work, and I finally bought a gas bottle. I've been working on some other project with the welder and it is nice to have almost no cleanup to do after a weld. The mach 1 will need a header tube cut out and moved, heat box studs replaced, driveshaft cut and welded, and part of the frame repaired. Then I can set up the rest of the car and get it out and driving. I'm not happy with the angle of the engine so I will probably need to do some work on the T5 transmission mount. The fan isn't parallel with the radiator and it was with the toploader. It's a few degrees off but it noticeable.

What I have been doing is researching other engine builds, parts used etc to try to make sure I learn from others before jumping in and making mistakes. I've also finished a few gun kit builds while hanging out inside. I've had a few projects languishing for years which are now done or close to done.

Badaz01

Established Member
I'm going to start this thread as I prepare to start working on the car. I purchased the car a few months ago from one of our members (SSSSSSSSSSSSVT) who was great to deal with. I was looking for a roller to mess with and this car fit the bill. I am currently distracted by trying to get my 1969 Mustang Mach 1 back on the road. That should be in a few weeks (or months due to unforeseen problems) as I am really close to having everything installed and on the car. I spent the afternoon today looking at deficiencies with the car, and what I might need to source for parts. Luckily there are quite a few engine parts that came with the car that I will not have to source piecemeal.

Here is the ad with details for reference: FOR SALE: - 2001 Cobra Roller - $6500

Here is my current plan:

Engine:
I have a 99 Cobra engine in pieces I have had stored away for about 10 years. It is a teksid block. I had thought about other swaps, but having an engine in pieces already, I feel like I want to just put what would have come from the factory back into the car. While a Coyote swap would be interesting, I keep wanting to go back to what I grew up with before becoming a grumpy middle aged man. The Teksid block will probably need a sleeve due to some scoring in one of the cylinders. That is one of the negatives to the block, otherwise it seems fine. The heads will also need some work, although I will probably look for some C heads instead of the stock 99 heads. I missed out on a set of ported C heads a few months ago for about half of the price of buying a set and sending it off. I will need to find someone that can do the machine work. I haven't purchased rods or pistons of course until it goes to the machine shop. I am still on the fence about assembling myself. The intake is the regular Cobra intake.

Power Adder:
I want to go turbo on this car. I used to own a Terminator, and also an N/A 97 Cobra. I want to build a Turbo car this time. I haven't decided on how I want to do this or whether I want to go single or twins. I'll be researching that as I work on other items.

Transmission:
The car doesn't have a transmission so I feel like there are two options here. The first would be a T-56 as that is what I am familiar with and it will hold up to the power. The other option would be to put a 6R80 into it. I know there are pros to a manual for the fun factor, but there are also pros to running an auto with a turbo.

Interior:
Repair and replace anything broken. There are a few of the common wear parts inside. I also pulled the aftermarket radio out as I don't really care about the radio. I might just throw a stock radio back in because I'm kind of weird like that. The seats are too bad, but they do have some wear. Afterall, they are 21 years old.

Exterior:
Mostly some paint repair of a few areas. I'll probably leave the cowl hood on the car. The front 99/01 bumper is not an original, it is a fiberglass reproduction. I will probably leave it on the car as I will not feel bad modifying it if I need to in order to facilitate the turbo. The side skirt on the drivers side will need the paint fixed and also the scratches on the hood from the hood pins being pulled. The rear bumper is an 03-04 Cobra bumper. I'll probably keep the 18" wheels that are already on it. The headlights are toast and need replaced which is normal for cars of this age. Hell, my Terminator needed them replaced in 2008 due to how foggy they were.

Suspension:
It already has a UPR tubular K-member and other suspensions upgrades. I will probably just inspect everything to make sure it is still good. If I find something I want to tweak, then I'll get to it later. These mods were one of the reasons why I wanted to get the car.

Fuel System:
TBD. I was under the car today and saw it has an upgraded fuel line. Hopefully that means it also has upgraded pumps. I'll figure that out when I drop the fuel tank to inspect.

Here is a picture of the car sitting in my yard. It's sitting in my shop and filthy right now so no other pictures.
That car looks familiar wasn’t that on the market on here as a roller? I love the t56 in my 01 cobra. Also went with the lethal performance return fuel system. As for the suspension I would definitely recommend the full tilt boogie kit in the irs. I run a procharger D1 with flat tops also on e85. Love the down low preboost power. Anyway good luck with the build if/when you find time.

Users who are viewing this thread