2001 Procharged GT Catch Can Setup

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Have someone who wants to put in a vented catch can, due to being told the oil pressure sensor keeps springing a leak due to the pressure build up... it has been fixed about 6 times now.

What would be the best way to route the catch can with this setup? They already bought a catch can with two fittings on it and a filter on top of the can.

unnamed.jpg

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
IMG_4052.jpeg

This picture is from the fox body swap but GT was the exact same. I T-ed both valve covers together into one line. That line went into one side of the catch can, the other side of the catch can was vented. Zoom in and you can see how it’s all routed. Very easy.

Last edited:

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
View attachment 1843037
This picture is from the fox body swap but GT was the exact same. I T-ed both valve covers together into one line. That line went into one side of the catch can, the other side of the catch can was vented. Zoom in and you can see how it’s all routed. Very easy.

Then we would just cap off the hole on the air intake or do we leave it running to the air intake?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I capped mine off. I had no problems at all. I'm sure someone smarter than me will chime and tell me it was wrong somehow but my tuner had no issues with it. Kept oil out...ran great.

I got some time before we do it, I just don't want to do something wrong on the car and cause issues with their car, lol. Sounds like I can do it how you did it though, so should be fine.. I'll see if anyone else agrees or disagrees. I appreciate the help.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a catch can setup, I run one on my 96. However there is no way that crankcase pressure is over pressurizing an oil pressure sensor.

Yea I had my doubts about that as well.. I know he’s had it fixed at multiple shops and it keep’s happening.. he wanted to do the catch can and fix the oil sensor again ourselves (me).. and see if it helped at all, because honestly besides that, I’m not sure what else to do with that situation.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with a catch can setup, I run one on my 96. However there is no way that crankcase pressure is over pressurizing an oil pressure sensor.

this. Normal oil pressure can be up around 100psi at high rpm or even on cold start. If there was that much pressure in the valve covers it'd be spitting gaskets left and right.

sounds like he needs an actual oil pressure gauge installed to see whats going on

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
this. Normal oil pressure can be up around 100psi at high rpm or even on cold start. If there was that much pressure in the valve covers it'd be spitting gaskets left and right.

sounds like he needs an actual oil pressure gauge installed to see whats going on

I think he has an Autometer oil pressure gauge hooked up but I could be wrong, might be fuel pressure, I’ll have to ask him.

It’s just the oem sensor that he’s having issues with.. keeps leaving oil all under the car… could he just delete that oem sensor and plug the hole?.. wouldn’t hurt anything right? Just would make the stock gauge on the cluster not work right? Not sure if that would stop the leak or not.. I haven’t been under the car yet so not sure if there might be a bigger issue or not. Just trying to figure out how to help.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think he has an Autometer oil pressure gauge hooked up but I could be wrong, might be fuel pressure, I’ll have to ask him.

It’s just the oem sensor that he’s having issues with.. keeps leaving oil all under the car… could he just delete that oem sensor and plug the hole?.. wouldn’t hurt anything right? Just would make the stock gauge on the cluster not work right? Not sure if that would stop the leak or not.. I haven’t been under the car yet so not sure if there might be a bigger issue or not. Just trying to figure out how to help.

to the best of my knowledge it wont hurt anything if he gets rid of it.

I would say to check the oil cooler housing where it threads in very carefully - i over tightened the one on my mach and cracked it. Would be good to know if its leaking around it or is it literally pushing oil through the other side and out with the wires.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
to the best of my knowledge it wont hurt anything if he gets rid of it.

I would say to check the oil cooler housing where it threads in very carefully - i over tightened the one on my mach and cracked it. Would be good to know if its leaking around it or is it literally pushing oil through the other side and out with the wires.

I'll try to get over there and look at it. Hopefully the housing isn't cracked but would make sense.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
That'll work, but as mentioned, it's not going to fix the oil pressure sensor issue.

Yea, when I go over there I will look over the housing, he got a new sensor, I am gonna use Loctite 567 on the threads. I know they were using Teflon tape which from what I gather is not really recommended, so I guess we will see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread