2001 L need advice *new to SVT*

sleeping

Established Member
Hey guys I just came into possession of a 2001 Lightning. I bought it used it has 40,000 miles. Its completely bone stock. No mods have been done to it what so ever. Im looking to make it faster.. and at the same time not worry about blowing up anything in my engine. What brands and sizes would yall recommend for someone not looking to do MAJOR racing enhancements. I figure from my reading I will be looking at pulleys, E-fans, exhaust, cold air, chip. Anything thing else? This is a dialy driver btw.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
first of all, hoy cra theirs at f new trucks today, thats awesome. welcome. i would put a 4# lower pulley, cold air intake,a good tune or mail order chip. i was verry happy with those mods. a cat back exhaust would be nice too. bassani exhaust i preffer.

Last edited:

Mika

Established Member
Welcome to SVTP. Most of these guys here are cool as all out. They'll even inform you from time to time:). I went with a 6 lb lower, intake and a tune(xcal). If you're anywhere near Duncanville(DFW), go to Terry's shop. He's very meticulous with his work. He treats every truck like its his very own personal one. www.talonclub.com is good for the local DFW folks. Halo.net or halo.com is for the Houston folks.

You have an '01. Do a search for plugs blowing out. Not to scare you, but just to inform you.

Mika

MOORESPEED

Established Member
4lb. lower, CAI, predator, exhaust, NGK's, and a custom tune. It will be reliable and lots of fun :burnout: .

TXRickC

Established Member
Welcome to the site, where abouts in Texas are you at?

Lots of info in this site to learn from.

sleeping

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the info and the welcome! I appreciate it. I currently live in Keller Texas. I had a guy at the streetraces last saturday tell me about that blowing plug problem. And i looked it up and thats kinda scury lol. Anything besides proper maintence and regular tightening of plugs i can do to prevent it?

kromdom

1KWKTRK
Established Member
congrats and welcome. the following sites helped me a lot:
http://rookiefaq.home.mindspring.com/rookiefaq.htm
http://kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/Cobra_LightningTechTips.pdf
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/index.htm

my truck already came with JBA headers, maggy pipes and PSP FastAir. I have since added: oil sep, FTVB, 4-lb lower, TR6IX plugs, METCO aux idler bracket/pulley , SVO SBTB, C&L Elbow, JLP Ram Air (replace the PSP) and dyno/tune with Predator. Yup, it is my DD!

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Wow, another new SVTL, alot today! Congrats! And like every one has said already, a 4lb lower, CAI, and a tune! The 3 must haves for a SVTL. Cat back exhaust is not a power adder for the L, but it makes for good sound. I have true duel single chamber Flowmasters, and thier LOUD!!! But basani seams to be the fav on here. Not loud enough for me, but a good rumble none the less. Deff check out the Plug issue, and check on the intercooler recall, call SVTs 800 number and give them your vin, they'll hook you up with the needed info. Later, and good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread