2001 Cobra q's

tms217

Established Member
First off I am going to go look at a new Cobra on Monday. I would like to know how much slower, braking, skid pad, are the verts compared to the hardtop. The second question I have is how hard is it to get the handling of the Cobra R. How much is it different? What would need replaced to get the R suspention?

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

kwiksnake

Established Member
Well I am about to put the R springs and Bilstein's in my car. I just got the urethane bushings and irs brace. All I should be lacking is the heavy duty axles and tie rod ends, and those big 18" wheels. Other than that mine should handle pretty close to how the R handles.

Cobra-R

Established Member
I was thinking of installing the R shocks and springs on mine also. I then talked to a guy that had some experience with it and he told me that if you are going to use the R specific parts, it will drive and handle terrible. Because the R has a cast iron block and it is alot heavier in the front, he said I would not be getting what I was expecting.

Koni is suppose to be comming out with some shocks for the cobra's, he recommended those along with KB springs. I just thought I would throw it out at you guys.

Brian

kwiksnake

Established Member
I was going to go with the R springs because of the high rear rates to counter the wheel hop. I'm pretty sure the KB springs are made by H&R. If you want these springs at a cheaper price, go to Maximum Motorsports. They are a lot cheaper there. Also Ford sells Koni shocks and struts for the R, as listed in their FRP catalog. DIversified Mototsports sells these pretty cheap as well. Hope this helps.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Ok, sorry for my misunderstanding, thought you were going to put the Eibach springs on the front also. :(

He said these were some new Koni's that are suppose to be released this fall. I am new to this stuff so please ignore my stupidity. I am just repeating what I was told.

Isn't the Koni's in FRPP catalog for the 95R? Will they also fit the 99/01's?

btw: what does H&R stand for, always looking for cheaper alternatives.:D

Thanks for the help, Brian

kwiksnake

Established Member
There are ones for the 95R but further back in the catalog (hidden pretty well mind you) they have the Koni's with the R00 designation on the end off the part #. The front ones from the 95R will fit but the rear will not. Actually the part #'s are M-18125-R00 for the rear ($120) and M-18124-R00 for the front ($245). I was going to put the R's on the front too just because they came in the package but looking again I see that the H&R springs come in race rates with almost equal rates on the rear, so I will probably just go with them. H&R is the company name, but I have no idea what it stands for.

Users who are viewing this thread