2001 Cobra mod advice

TireMeltingTork

Hey guys, new member and I wanted to introduce myself. I was thinking about since my car has the IRS, modding it to be more of a road & track car instead of a drag car. Are there any special considerations or mods or is it the same concept as putting go fast parts on it?

I thought about making it lighter but it has an aluminum block and heads, and I think an aluminum flywheel so I don't know what else to swap.

Is there a width of tire that's too large? Also wanted to get fat tires all the way around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think it's a little different as with going around corners you don't need to worry about power as much. You'll still want to up grade the suspension though. Subframe connectors, IRS bushings, better springs/shocks, etc. Not to mention the brakes as you want to be able to stop over and over.

For reducing weight it all depends on the goal. Is it a track only car? Is it still going to be a street car? A track only car can lose things like most of the interior, all the sound deadening, the A/C, etc. If it's a street car I wouldn't recommend deleting that stuff.

I think most are going to tell you to go with a square set up. I want to say that will probably leave with a 9" wide rim. A 10" might fit up front, but it'll be tight.

As always it's a sum of the parts. But without knowing the actual goal (track only, street with occasional track) it's hard to give a concrete answer.

TireMeltingTork

I think it's a little different as with going around corners you don't need to worry about power as much. You'll still want to up grade the suspension though. Subframe connectors, IRS bushings, better springs/shocks, etc. Not to mention the brakes as you want to be able to stop over and over.

For reducing weight it all depends on the goal. Is it a track only car? Is it still going to be a street car? A track only car can lose things like most of the interior, all the sound deadening, the A/C, etc. If it's a street car I wouldn't recommend deleting that stuff.

I think most are going to tell you to go with a square set up. I want to say that will probably leave with a 9" wide rim. A 10" might fit up front, but it'll be tight.

As always it's a sum of the parts. But without knowing the actual goal (track only, street with occasional track) it's hard to give a concrete answer.
Oh yeah I forgot to say, it's my daily driver so that's another reason I don't want to hot rod it up.

So you think even the factory Cobra suspension is sub-par?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There's some basic things that are needed in order to make the suspension work properly. Subframe connectors are needed to stiffen the chassis. And they make for a handy place to lift the car from. The IRS bushings should be replaced. By now your stock bushings are probably rotted. But going with good bushings gets rid of the disconnected feeling with the IRS and helps with wheel hop.

As for sub par, I couldn't tell you. The Cobra was the first handling car I drove. And the only time I've been on a track is when a friend bought me a session with an R8 for my birthday.

I should add that you should have posted this in the main forum. And do some searching in there. A few guys have built track cars.

TireMeltingTork

There's some basic things that are needed in order to make the suspension work properly. Subframe connectors are needed to stiffen the chassis. And they make for a handy place to lift the car from. The IRS bushings should be replaced. By now your stock bushings are probably rotted. But going with good bushings gets rid of the disconnected feeling with the IRS and helps with wheel hop.

As for sub par, I couldn't tell you. The Cobra was the first handling car I drove. And the only time I've been on a track is when a friend bought me a session with an R8 for my birthday.

I should add that you should have posted this in the main forum. And do some searching in there. A few guys have built track cars.
Oh really? I saw that this was the new edge forum so I thought this was where I should post, my bad.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're in the right forum. You posted in a sub forum thats for how to do projects. Theres a main new edge forum that everyone posts in.

Users who are viewing this thread