• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

2000 R Fuel Cell Option

Discussion in 'Cobra R's' started by SLOWBRA, Mar 21, 2019.

1. SLOWBRA

SLOWBRA Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

*updated in June 2019*

This post is to keep other members informed about my project to build replica 2000R fuel tank and to understand how many owners would be seriously interested in purchasing one.

I've been working with a semi-local friend/source, and another member, for the past months to replicate a fuel tank for our 2000 R's that looks identical to the OEM fuel cell.

The tank will most likely have the 03/04 Cobra baffling. The existing flanges from the fuel cell will transfer onto the replica. It will have less weld joints than the cell to strengthen the tank. Powder coating will also be available to make it ready to install when it arrives.

The big question I'm sure all will have is what is the pricing.. This will depend on how many people go in on this. It will be less than the $2,600 bladder replacement, but how much lower depends on the volume.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. specracer

specracer SVTOA MCA Premium Member

Yes, I bought the Glenn's for the 95, would absolutely buy this. Plan on having the car for a long long time, and like the idea of a permanent fix. Also cell is not leaking yet, but would buy immediately, if / when available, to have it "on the shelf" for WHEN it starts leaking. Thank you in advance, if you are able to pull this off!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    DAVESVT2000 likes this.
  3. bret a ewing

bret a ewing Member Established Member

Yep. I paid to have a '95 R tank (Brian- RCobra) sent to Glenn a few years ago for exact duplicates to be fabbed. He can give you different sump options for upgraded fuel supply pumps. I opted for a stock tank and switched everything over from the Fuel Safe tank and OEM feed/pump unit in the '95.
    Best, Bret.

4. svtguy

svtguy Active Member Established Member

Interested.

Paul.

SLOWBRA likes this.
  5. TFStang

TFStang Well-Known Member Established Member

I would be interested as well. I know this has been approached before, but nothing ever came from it. I know people have been after Glenn’s to do this and not sure why they haven’t, but if someone finally did it, and the price was reasonable, I’m sure that quite a few would be sold. Please keep us posted.

Now can you tell us about your car? ;)

6. SLOWBRA

I’ve talked to Glenn about it a few times including a call this week. The 00 tank is more complex than the 95 and is also quite poorly constructed (overlapping welds, splatter, etc.). He wishes he could have helped, but he cannot.

I told him about my goal, got some advice and also confirmed the material my source is using is the same as his. He wishes us luck and is glad to see us doing it.

This is going to happen, and we are further along than Glenn got, thanks to a member (Ben) sending his tank (same tank Glenn had received).

I agree the price will be the key for most. Preliminary number is less than the bladder replacement cost, but not by much. Ben and I want to get this as low as we can through a volume order. I think we’ll have more folks involved if we can make that happen.

Thanks for pushing for info on my car :). It hasn’t left the garage since I bought it. I’ve driven it a whopping 300’ since I bought it. Here is a hint - It’s red and has this really tall wing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Goose17 and DAVESVT2000 like this.
  7. TFStang

I’m in. Let me know when it’s ready to order. In the meantime, please keep us entertained with details about your newly acquired winged warrior.

SLOWBRA and Goose17 like this.
  8. Schab01

Schab01 Member Established Member

Hi - I'm interested.

Rob

SLOWBRA likes this.
  9. oregon87

oregon87 Member Established Member

A quick FYI, I believe Pyrotect can build a bladder for about half of what FuelSafe charges. Maybe a more than half, but I remember it being significantly less expensive. I believe the founder of Pyrotect also founded FuelSafe and began building fuel cells once the non-compete expired.

10. specracer

Well for me, I dont want another cell. I want a permanent solution, hence my interest in this project.

DAVESVT2000 and SLOWBRA like this.
  11. TFStang

What he said ^

SLOWBRA likes this.
  12. gfcobra04

gfcobra04 Active Member Premium Member Established Member

I replaced my fuel cell with a Glenn’s 03cobra tank. I been thinking of biting the bullet and getting an another fuel cell however if the price is right I’m in too.
    Gary

13. Schab01

Schab01 Member Established Member

Hi - Any update on this?

Thanks,

Rob
    #163 of 300

14. SLOWBRA

Things are moving along a bit slowly. The initial design shop put us behind their NASCAR projects so we were in a waiting pattern.

Given the waiting pattern we were in, the fab shop I’m working with started talking to other design shops. We found a place and expect they will have the original cell this weekend. This will ensure we have possession of the design - to control the next step rather than wait.

I expect the design aspect to be completed in a reasonable time so that we can have the first unit fabricated for Ben to test fit.

I’ll keep this post updated as soon as I have more info.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    TFStang and Goose17 like this.
  15. specracer

With the discussions about OEM cells in another thread, made me think of this thread. Any progress (I assume not, but asking anyway)?

16. SLOWBRA

There was a bit of a setback a few months ago due to one of the fabricators focusing on his NASCAR clients instead of us, but we are making progress as of about a month ago through another person.

I haven’t seen the other thread you are referring to. If someone needs something quick than don’t wait on this. The first prototype will be hopefully in production soon.

17. specracer

Thats great news. the discussion is in the "00R #83 getting full service" thread. Obviously loosing the foam, and bladder is more stable for the long haul.

Hope you have better luck with the new fabricator.

18. TFStang

Anxiously waiting for this myself. Would be great if you can pull this off. Pretty sure every 00R owner will buy one.

Goose17 likes this.
  19. SLOWBRA

Update for those not following the facebook thread - the drawing was completed and we are headed to the prototype stage. Finally!

Goose17 and gfcobra04 like this.
  20. gfcobra04

gfcobra04 Active Member Premium Member Established Member

Any idea on time frame?