2000 Cobra R - where are the builds

Shirlee1973

I am doing some research to see how many 2000 Cobra R's still out there, and have not been wrecked. If you own one or know someone who does, could you please let me know what build number you have. We are the proud owners of build #10 and have owed since day one when bought off the lot in Daluth Georgia. We have kept it in mint condition and only 27 miles on the car!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shirlee, the #10 is the lowest number I've seen. And then I see that you've only put 27 miles on it. Wow!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
OP, I'm sure you are aware there were 300 built. These cars weren't driven extensively by most owners. Many are sitting as garage queens. I would be surprised if there are more than 20 gone.

Tom

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
OP's car is a nice example. Had to snap a pic for my son.
7d1acef36ab996aa14b876d87fa8efc6.jpg

mariusvt

Established Member
27 miles, I can't fathom buying a car just to look at. No offense of course, I'd just be too tempted to let it rip.

429SCJ

Established Member
I am doing some research to see how many 2000 Cobra R's still out there, and have not been wrecked. If you own one or know someone who does, could you please let me know what build number you have. We are the proud owners of build #10 and have owed since day one when bought off the lot in Daluth Georgia. We have kept it in mint condition and only 27 miles on the car!
#299 3,250 miles 3rd owner

comprepsvo

Established Member
I have # 33, the official Ford Lawsuit -Buy Back 2000 R originally bought in North Carolina, but now resides in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

comprepsvo

Established Member
In 2004 the original owner of # 33 filed a lawsuit against Ford Motor Company. He had bought it new and had a problem with the car running in the winter of 2003. He called SVT and they sent a Ford Tech to check the car out. The Tech downloaded a new program into the computer to make sure there were no problems for the car to un in cold weather. The following year, the Owner complained again that the car would not run in cold weather and it would die. In the State of North Carolina, they require a Factory Warranty on every new car sold. Even though the 00 R had a no warranty explanation from Ford. The Owner hired a lawyer and sued for the purchase price of the car, $65000. The Suit went to the State Court with Ford sending in an airplane load of lawyers for the hearing. The Judge presiding over the case, after arguments from both sides decided to see if an agreement could be reached before he made a decision. The two sides went out in the hallway and agreed to an agreement. Ford Motor Company would pay the Owner the sticker price and take the car. The Owner agreed and the rest is History. Ford called an Exotic Motor Car dealership in Macon, Georgia and asked if they would like to buy another car from them. A Ford Buy Back Car. They agreed, they paid and received the car. The car had around 2700 miles on it. I found the car, one week after they received it and purchased it from them! One of the best days in my life, when I went and drove that car home. All of this was told to me by a Ford SVT, 2000 R Team Member at VIR in 2006.

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
That's crazy that the guy paid for a lawyer just to have the manufacture buy the car back after 4 years. Probably could have a custom tune done and fixed the cold running problem. Glad you found it.

Users who are viewing this thread