2000 Cobra R for sale, BAT

nmp1

Established Member
I completely agree, one sale does not define a market. I used to mentally dismiss auctions like this as "the drunk guy in the room overpaid". But making the assumption, the deal is completed and funds change hands, its absolutely a sale and a relevant comp.

As for the value of a 00R? I could care less. That will likely be relevant info for our kids.
I’d like to see the Carfax on this in a few months and make sure it actually changed hands And was register to a new owner.

if you follow big sales on bring a trailer a lot of legit questions have been raised about that record-setting M3 that sold a few months back.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
That is why I said "assuming". I like BaT, and really like what they have done, but with that said, its not exactly contractually binding, nor is there any type of fund verification (as a bidder). Make some bids, have your friends shill bid, what ever, seems like if you bailed, wont cost more than $5k in the BaT buyers commission, and a ban (big deal)

nmp1

Established Member
That is why I said "assuming". I like BaT, and really like what they have done, but with that said, its not exactly contractually binding, nor is there any type of fund verification (as a bidder). Make some bids, have your friends shill bid, what ever, seems like if you bailed, wont cost more than $5k in the BaT buyers commission, and a ban (big deal)
Exactly, you get it.

i’m not saying this is the case but something like this always deserves a little bit of investigating.

Some of the 93R owners I believe would know better but I think a dealer about 10 years ago was playing with the 93R values and artificially pushing them up.

TFStang

Established Member
These cars are on the rise. One sale may not make the market, but 3 or 4 selling in the same territory when we are talking about a car with less than 300 in existence.....that becomes meaningful. It is certainly getting harder to find 00R’s. I doubt any owners are going to let go of their cars cheap.

All 3 R’s are special, but the 00R is just so damn cool!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Exactly, you get it.

i’m not saying this is the case but something like this always deserves a little bit of investigating.

Some of the 93R owners I believe would know better but I think a dealer about 10 years ago was playing with the 93R values and artificially pushing them up.

wasn’t that the dealer from the Charlotte area, he was a member here, and got called out on it ?

TFStang

Established Member
wasn’t that the dealer from the Charlotte area, he was a member here, and got called out on it ?

I remember that debacle. The 93R’s tanked after that. It was a slow climb back up to where they are now. Sat in the high $40’s / low $50’s for years after that episode.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Helluva price for a helluva car! It went much higher than I expected, but still reasonable for what you get. I hope to never sell mine... it’s one of my 2 favorites.

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
Yea, I find it hard to believe that some one will pay that with those miles even though the bid when there. There have been much better deals out there in the last 6 months.

nmp1

Established Member
Yea, I find it hard to believe that some one will pay that with those miles even though the bid when there. There have been much better deals out there in the last 6 months.

The most recent public sale I can find was July 2020 at Mecum Indy. sub 500 mile car with the binder hammer for $66k + 10% commission for $72,600 all in. So either the prices are trending up near vertically or this is an anomaly.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
You all might find this site helpful, here is the last 4 years of auction results. Pretty cool site, as they already include yesterday's result. If applicable, they even list up coming published lots.

Ford Mustang - SVT Cobra R Market - CLASSIC.COM

That must have been much longer than 10 years ago. The last cheap 93 I recall was about 10 years ago. It was an AE car (before accident), I was trying to buy it, could never get a price. They up and sent it to a rinky dink auction, where it sold in the forties (grrrr). Right after that, they were in the fifties sixties and beyond. Ive paid close attention to this market, finally getting one about a year ago.

I remember that debacle. The 93R’s tanked after that. It was a slow climb back up to where they are now. Sat in the high $40’s / low $50’s for years after that episode.

Cobra R In WI

Established Member
I'll chime in here as a new member and the buyer of the R on BAT. There were a lot of behind the scenes negotiating which included a trade towards the R. As the price went up, the trade value increased as well. It was a few $ more than I wanted to spend in addition to the trade value, but it's an R. Paperwork and black book, I really don't care about those as the car will be driven and accumulate many more miles. The few mods it has, I also don't care about them either. I didn't want to purchase a R that would sit in my garage and be driven on only the most pristine days with perfect weather. Great if that's what you want to do with yours. I'm going to enjoy mine now, not save it for a future owner whom I don't know or care about. It's the same line of thought about putting seat covers on to have the seats in pristine condition at resale. Why not enjoy the seats now. Or better yet, if you have a trophy wife. Would you not use her so that she is new for the next owner? Probably not, and that's not meant to label or degrade anyone, just make a point. So to each his/her own. I have other toys which don't get used due to time. This R will see plenty of time at RA and others in the area. If you still want to try to make sense of the purchase, ask yourself what it did to the value of your R! You're welcome. As far as the deal going through, the money is wired and the paperwork has changed hands. And no, you won't find it listed on BAT in a few months. For those of you that want to check the Carfax in a few months, go ahead. Report back here what you find. You should spend more time with your wife and kids! And yes, it does come with the original exhaust.

Saleenrose and Goose17, you get it!

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'll chime in here as a new member and the buyer of the R on BAT. There were a lot of behind the scenes negotiating which included a trade towards the R. As the price went up, the trade value increased as well. It was a few $ more than I wanted to spend in addition to the trade value, but it's an R. Paperwork and black book, I really don't care about those as the car will be driven and accumulate many more miles. The few mods it has, I also don't care about them either. I didn't want to purchase a R that would sit in my garage and be driven on only the most pristine days with perfect weather. Great if that's what you want to do with yours. I'm going to enjoy mine now, not save it for a future owner whom I don't know or care about. It's the same line of thought about putting seat covers on to have the seats in pristine condition at resale. Why not enjoy the seats now. Or better yet, if you have a trophy wife. Would you not use her so that she is new for the next owner? Probably not, and that's not meant to label or degrade anyone, just make a point. So to each his/her own. I have other toys which don't get used due to time. This R will see plenty of time at RA and others in the area. If you still want to try to make sense of the purchase, ask yourself what it did to the value of your R! You're welcome. As far as the deal going through, the money is wired and the paperwork has changed hands. And no, you won't find it listed on BAT in a few months. For those of you that want to check the Carfax in a few months, go ahead. Report back here what you find. You should spend more time with your wife and kids! And yes, it does come with the original exhaust.

Heck yeah! Enjoy that car!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
@Cobra R In WI

congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to the site !!

lots of good information here, and long time members / owners such as myself. (I’ve got 2000 R #76 with 45,000 miles, so you’ve got a little catching up to do lol).

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

LOL

Coming from the guy that made a profile on a car forum to stick up for himself..

Enjoy the car!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member

Congratulations on scoring your 00R! You are going to have a frigg’n BLAST driving it!

If you plan to race it with the front lower splitter in place, check to see if the previous owner did any reinforcement mods. Without those mods, the splitter puts too much pressure on the front fascia at speed and causes damage. A friend has raced his 00R extensively... his front end has quite a bit of damage.

oregon87

Established Member

Mic drop! :D Congrats on the purchase!

TFStang

Established Member
You all might find this site helpful, here is the last 4 years of auction results. Pretty cool site, as they already include yesterday's result. If applicable, they even list up coming published lots.

Ford Mustang - SVT Cobra R Market - CLASSIC.COM

That must have been much longer than 10 years ago. The last cheap 93 I recall was about 10 years ago. It was an AE car (before accident), I was trying to buy it, could never get a price. They up and sent it to a rinky dink auction, where it sold in the forties (grrrr). Right after that, they were in the fifties sixties and beyond. Ive paid close attention to this market, finally getting one about a year ago.

2014 & 15 was probably the beat time to jump on a 93R. Wrapper cars were going for $50K ish and cars with miles a lot less. I had an accepted Offer in car #104 with 86 mikes on it, but the Seller flaked on me and ended up selling the car to someone else for relative peanuts more than I offered. That was $50K. Now ....way more.

Cobra R In WI

Established Member
Thanks for the welcome! I will have lots of fun with this and I am sure I will have questions. It's not my first Mustang, but it is my first 2000R. A friend has one that still has the seat wrappers on and has less than 5 miles. He has no intention of ever driving it or selling it. That's too bad because every car is made to be enjoyed. Let the next guys restore them.

Users who are viewing this thread