2000 Cobra R 1:18 Customized. Maisto

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
For sale I have a 2000 Cobra R made by Maisto 1:18 scale that I did some upgrades to. I added faux carbon fiber wrap to the rood and the top of the rear spoiler, painted the gas tank straps silver, added Guldstrand Z06 wheels and cut the springs to lower the car. Also, it's not very noticeable, but I painted the cats silver, the resonator, and the pipes going from the muffler to the tips silver so not everything is chrome to give it a more realistic look. Since the wheelbase on the Z06 is wider I had to cut the steering linkage so the wheels do not turn together anymore, but all 4 wheels still roll.

I'm asking $40 + $10.95 for shipping. I do not accept PayPal, only Google Pay, Cash App, and Square.

KHyyTOR.jpg

dbYPk0B.jpg

sX2X240.jpg

duZRXhz.jpg

vqEkXGN.jpg

6nJsf4f.jpg

0bfJhAC.jpg

zUHId1J.jpg

mxk4zi5.jpg

stoRdcr.jpg

3QfOO3C.jpg

Last edited:

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Also have a 1999 Mustang GT with 2000 Cobra R wheels. Only taken out of the box to install the wheels, has all factory plastic straps for the hood, doors, and trunk.

$35 shipped. I only accept Google Pay, Cash App, and Square.

bFkFQz3.jpg

JkVpDnh.jpg

pNyDeDU.jpg

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
If anyone is interested I can make another customized 2000 Cobra R. Since this is one I don't have laying around and i'll have to purchase it I will have to increase the price quite a bit. I do not plan on doing any 2003 Cobras due to the fact they are way too expensive and i'm not entirely sure any modifications I make to it will yield enough of a substantial return to be worth it. Do let me know about the Cobra R though, I did enjoy building that. I would like my next one to be much more detail oriented with some rather unique customizations.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice to see someone else doing Mustang (Maisto) customs. You mentioned it might not be worth doing 2003-2004 Cobra customs. I can see a market for customizing to match the customer's Cobra, depending on the price. No?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Nice to see someone else doing Mustang (Maisto) customs. You mentioned it might not be worth doing 2003-2004 Cobra customs. I can see a market for customizing to match the customer's Cobra, depending on the price. No?
There is a market for it Bob. Problem is you have to find cars that have minor blemishes to get them at a cheaper price. However, pickings are getting slim.

Also, for it to be worth it you have to respray the car in a color Maisto didn't offer. If you take a silver vert and change the wheels or add a custom license plate it won't be worth it.

People want stuff they can't get. OW, MC, CO and SB were all very desirable colors.

I will probably get back in to this once I'm done with my 65, but if the OP is willing to paint the Cobra's there is money to be made.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member

Yes, the market demand for 03' Maisto Cobra is high, but after modifying them, especially if you choose to do a House of Kolor paint job, which honestly doesn't garnish as high of a response as Sonic Blue, DSG, Oxford White, and Comp Orange (one I would love to try), your return it low. You make more money painting them stock desirable hard or not able to find colors and selilng them, then modifying them and selling them.

There is a market for it Bob. Problem is you have to find cars that have minor blemishes to get them at a cheaper price. However, pickings are getting slim.

Also, for it to be worth it you have to respray the car in a color Maisto didn't offer. If you take a silver vert and change the wheels or add a custom license plate it won't be worth it.

People want stuff they can't get. OW, MC, CO and SB were all very desirable colors.

I will probably get back in to this once I'm done with my 65, but if the OP is willing to paint the Cobra's there is money to be made.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yep, kinda what I was touching on my post before on the colors. Also finding cheaper 03' Cobras I would say is a 70/30 split of vert to hard tops. Generally most people just don't want verts. Personally I know i'd rather have a hardtop model. I think my mind might change if the verts had a soft-top on them which may make them a bit more desirable.

What i've found is people like original 03' Cobras in different OEM colors. You lower them, but beyond that, they like them to be mostly stock appearing. The only models i've gotten decent money for after doing some modding to are 2000 Cobra R's and 99' GTs. Of course i've modded quite a few of Corvettes, Muscle Cars, Vipers, etc. and they seem to sell decently. As far as the Mustang market goes, certain people want certain things done to replicate a car they may have had IME.

This comes from a guy who has built 150+ 1:24 scale 1960-1970 Muscle cars and most of my buyers either buy cars they had, or buy brands they liked or were fond of. For example, I had a a guy who had a 1968 Pontiac Trans Am and bought 4 of my models that were nearly identical and later bought 2 Pontiac Catalinas, a few GTOs, and 3 67' Camaros. All GM products. He never branched out to buy any of my vintage 60s Mustang models, just my GM models.

Last edited:

Nick Fetscher

I collect BNIB 03 cobras I have several them. Might sell my collection. Majority still have the clear strips. Im very particular. Im looking to have my first one I got when I was 8 years old (25 now) redone to mystichrome. Any leads?

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
You can ask Black Gold 380R, but if you check out the people on DiecastXchange, they are masters of custom diecast work. I think actual mystichrome is made by PPG and Mystic by BASF. House of Kolor is Kameleon. I know the BASF one is insanely expensive since they limit how much they sell. I don't have a spray gun, so I couldn't do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread