2 Valve Kenne Bell? Worth it?

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
I have a friend that has a 2 valve car with a fogger on it and bolt ons and he's making right at 400 rwhp and alot more tq on a safe tune and been running the car for years. I also had a n/a 4 valve car with just cams, ported short runner, built bottom end with long tubes and that car made over 400 rwhp just on motor and prob 600ish on nitrous. And I wouldn't count out a centri. Got a friend with one of those on his car (vortech) and it makes 450 I think and he didn't spend 5 grand. Just throwing out options. Gl with your build.

Yeah but then you are asking for problems running nitrous on stock block. And a 4 valve swap can't be cheap lol and vortech make decent power and aren't expensive just not a big fan of them don't know why lol

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

hollowdweller

Established Member
Man I bolted the 2.1KB on my car and it is amazing. I've ran nitrous and 2 centri kits and I'd take the 2.1 any day. Its just funnier for regular street driving IMO. From what I've seen most of the 2.1 on the 9lb pulley will net you 390-410 which will be fine on your stock shortblock as long as the tunes good. I have LT headers, o/r h pipe, MagnaFlow catback, Comp Cams, 60lb injectors, Cobra pumps and tank, JLT intake, and a BA 2800 (I think) and I make 438rwhp and 428rwtq on 9lbs. Im forged though and just completed my 8 rib swap with a 2.5 blower pulley and am HOPING to get 460-470 outta it. My tuner told me i'd have no problem breaking the 500 mark with that setup but my hopes arent that high. My draw back about the 2.1 is that it seems to max out around the 600 mark with TF heads and boosting the crap outta it. I'm like you though and I just plain ole wanted a KB, I actually traded a very nice D1SC ProCharger kit for it. Sometimes I feel like I made a mistake by doing that because the D1 has way more power potential but that all goes away as soon as I start drivin tha car!!

THAITED

Established Member
Man I bolted the 2.1KB on my car and it is amazing. I've ran nitrous and 2 centri kits and I'd take the 2.1 any day. Its just funnier for regular street driving IMO. From what I've seen most of the 2.1 on the 9lb pulley will net you 390-410 which will be fine on your stock shortblock as long as the tunes good. I have LT headers, o/r h pipe, MagnaFlow catback, Comp Cams, 60lb injectors, Cobra pumps and tank, JLT intake, and a BA 2800 (I think) and I make 438rwhp and 428rwtq on 9lbs. Im forged though and just completed my 8 rib swap with a 2.5 blower pulley and am HOPING to get 460-470 outta it. My tuner told me i'd have no problem breaking the 500 mark with that setup but my hopes arent that high. My draw back about the 2.1 is that it seems to max out around the 600 mark with TF heads and boosting the crap outta it. I'm like you though and I just plain ole wanted a KB, I actually traded a very nice D1SC ProCharger kit for it. Sometimes I feel like I made a mistake by doing that because the D1 has way more power potential but that all goes away as soon as I start drivin tha car!!

TS has more fun than Centri for sure. My power doesn't come on instantly like yours.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
Do you have a link for their authorized dealers??

I believe they list their Authorized Installers on their website. You plan to buy a used kit. Just call KB when you find a kit and get a copy of their install instructions. You can do this on your own to save some cash and then get the car to a dyno tuner and have the tune taken care of.

Chuckie B

Established Member
Sorry i didnt bother to read all the past pages....but the KB for the 2V is well worth it!. Woke up my little 2V to 400Rwhp/433Tq...

Im pulling the kit and selling it since i bought an 03Cobra...Pm if interested

Stryker27

2Vbeliever
Established Member
As said above, the problem with the KB2.1 is your stuck with it, with not much room for expansion power wise after 550-600 with a built motor. With a Tork Tech all you need is a built motor and obvious things like injectors and pump, different pulley and tune and the possibilities are endless. Heck I could even throw a Whipple on a built motor if I wanted to. KB2.1 is an excellent choice no doubt but it will reach it's limit then what do you do?? TT has very large possibility's. Just saying.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Yes the 2.1 is going to run out of expansion room in the 600 range, but OP honestly ask yourself. Do you ever plan on your car making 600 horsepower? If not I would just disregard that and not take it into consideration. But if you are looking to build a 1000 horse machine we've established the 2.1 isnt for you.

Considering you've been talking about around 400 to the wheels the 2.1KB would be the perfect thing for that! Plus every other option that has been thrown out there you've shot down, so in a way you have answered your own question.

Awesome driveability, plenty of power, instant torque, and blower whine you can hear from blocks away, sounds worth it to me!

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Yes the 2.1 is going to run out of expansion room in the 600 range, but OP honestly ask yourself. Do you ever plan on your car making 600 horsepower? If not I would just disregard that and not take it into consideration. But if you are looking to build a 1000 horse machine we've established the 2.1 isnt for you.

Considering you've been talking about around 400 to the wheels the 2.1KB would be the perfect thing for that! Plus every other option that has been thrown out there you've shot down, so in a way you have answered your own question.

Awesome driveability, plenty of power, instant torque, and blower whine you can hear from blocks away, sounds worth it to me!

No I don't want 600 hp just 400 some is fine by me so exactly why it's perfect for me. And like the other guys said I just want a plain old kb lol only think is what if I want to put trick flow heads on it at some point down the line? Will that be bad?

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
As said above, the problem with the KB2.1 is your stuck with it, with not much room for expansion power wise after 550-600 with a built motor. With a Tork Tech all you need is a built motor and obvious things like injectors and pump, different pulley and tune and the possibilities are endless. Heck I could even throw a Whipple on a built motor if I wanted to. KB2.1 is an excellent choice no doubt but it will reach it's limit then what do you do?? TT has very large possibility's. Just saying.

Yes I know but don't plan on going over 400 :) and the 2.1 with ported heads, forged internals wouldn't make close to 600 hp just for sake of discussion?? And no tt lol

Sorry i didnt bother to read all the past pages....but the KB for the 2V is well worth it!. Woke up my little 2V to 400Rwhp/433Tq...

Im pulling the kit and selling it since i bought an 03Cobra...Pm if interested

Awesome man and pm sent. Hold onto it lol

I believe they list their Authorized Installers on their website. You plan to buy a used kit. Just call KB when you find a kit and get a copy of their install instructions. You can do this on your own to save some cash and then get the car to a dyno tuner and have the tune taken care of.

Ok I'll check their website out. Of course I check forum once I get to work where I don't have my laptop lol :(

The kb is just unbeatable man!!!

tj4891

Established Member
Yes I know but don't plan on going over 400 :) and the 2.1 with ported heads, forged internals wouldn't make close to 600 hp just for sake of discussion?? And no tt lol

you wont be close to 600 hp maybe 500hp with head and cam built bottom. A 02 gt here just made 610 wit a 2.8 kb and ported heads cams built bottom at 14or 17 lbs of boost

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

you wont be close to 600 hp maybe 500hp with head and cam built bottom. A 02 gt here just made 610 wit a 2.8 kb and ported heads cams built bottom at 14or 17 lbs of boost

Oh ok gotcha good to know

kbroush

Established Member
I remember when I was happy with just 400rwhp. I bought the 2.1 kit and thought it would be enough. Just buy the 2.6 and be done with it. Trust me, you will want more power. The 2.1 will make good power though. My car is making 480rwhp on 9lbs of boost still with a built engine and lightly worked over heads. The inlet on the 2.1 is the main restriction. You can get different inlets but in the long run the 2.6 would be the way to go. You would have to get a different hood if you went that route though.

tj4891

Established Member
I remember when I was happy with just 400rwhp. I bought the 2.1 kit and thought it would be enough. Just buy the 2.6 and be done with it. Trust me, you will want more power. The 2.1 will make good power though. My car is making 480rwhp on 9lbs of boost still with a built engine and lightly worked over heads. The inlet on the 2.1 is the main restriction. You can get different inlets but in the long run the 2.6 would be the way to go. You would have to get a different hood if you went that route though.

SO TRUE............:banana::banana:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member

Don't want hood change though. I like bone stock appearance lol

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

jacob517

GOT SHARPIE?
Established Member
Just got the 2.1 installed, It made 385hp/439tq stock motor with just X-pipe and catback. 95 degree temp and IAT's at bout 140degrees. This is on a "Mustang Dyno" which is a lot harder to make power on compared to a "Dyno Jet". Add 10% that you will usually get from a regular dyno that's 423hp/482tq.

tj4891

Established Member
Just got the 2.1 installed, It made 385hp/439tq stock motor with just X-pipe and catback. 95 degree temp and IAT's at bout 140degrees. This is on a "Mustang Dyno" which is a lot harder to make power on compared to a "Dyno Jet". Add 10% that you will usually get from a regular dyno that's 423hp/482tq.

nice:banana::banana:..make sure you keep that thing cool in this heat you might wanna run alittle more water then antifreeze in the intercooler

Users who are viewing this thread