2 point ticket - first offense

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I bumped into someone in the company truck. I had a heavy load in the back and didn't account for it increasing my stopping distance. I braked hard but had just momentum left to bump the guy in front of me. Luckily he was ok.

The trooper was very polite, but did find me at fault. He issued me a 2 point ticket for "going to fast for conditions".

I've been thinking of going to court to see if I have any options getting this reduced or taking some sort of classes to lessen the degree of this penalty. This is my FIRST offense...hoping for some forgiveness.

Also, I've been really considering getting into law enforcement and know this may have an impact on my application. (SCHP)

So, do I have high hopes? Should I go to court and plead some sort of forgiveness or should I just pay the ticket and move on?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Black2010

Established Member
Not a LEO here but is defensive driving not an option to have that ticket removed from your record? That is what I would suggest if it is. Stuff happens to even the best of us and that feels kind of like a get out of jail free card when it relates to points.

I wouldn't go to court to ask for forgiveness. It will cost you more and I don't see them doing that for, in essence, wasting the court and officers time. Only go to court if you feel as though you are not guilty. In this case it seems the ticket was accurate.

cbj5259

Established Member
Go to court. What's the worst that can happen? You are found guilty and end up paying the fine and getting the points anyway. Perhaps the Trooper can work with you to get the points and/or fine reduced? Don't waste your money on an attorney either.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
These types of questions are always almost impossible to answer accurately, mostly because each state is different, and each judge is different.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and complete a SC DMV approved driving class, then take the certificate of completion to court with you. Advise the judge of what happened that day exactly like you described it here, present the certificate of driving school, and ask the judge if could be kind enough to reduce OR dismiss the charge.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Thank you all for the input. I'm going to call the DMV tomorrow to schedule a class ASAP. My court date is 10-13, so hopefully I can get into a course soon. According to the DMV site, the course can drop up to 4 points from my license. We will see. I'm also going to appear in court; it is worth a try.

Thanks again for the input!

railroad

Established Member
I guess you are not buddies with a LEO. Usually you can get a LEO friend to call the issuing officer and lighten the ticket. Sounds like you handled the situation well, so no problems there. Your plan sounds good to me. Good luck,

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
My buddy was charged with reckless driving for doing 95 in a 30mph zone, because in all honesty, he was sick & trying not to crap his pants racing home. He ended up shitting his pants while stopped lol. This event did not keep him from becoming a LEO.

jshen

Established Member
These types of questions are always almost impossible to answer accurately, mostly because each state is different, and each judge is different.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and complete a SC DMV approved driving class, then take the certificate of completion to court with you. Advise the judge of what happened that day exactly like you described it here, present the certificate of driving school, and ask the judge if could be kind enough to reduce OR dismiss the charge.

Good Advice!!! That's exactly what OP should do!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I guess you are not buddies with a LEO. Usually you can get a LEO friend to call the issuing officer and lighten the ticket. Sounds like you handled the situation well, so no problems there. Your plan sounds good to me. Good luck,

Umm, usually, you cannot do this. In most jurisdictions, this would be asking for an officer to break the law.

Users who are viewing this thread