2.93 pulley, suggested supporting mods?

mustangbob

Established Member
Hey all,

The mustang is up for the winter and I am wanting to do some mods to it while its up. I was considering doing a pulley swap like a 2.93 upper only. What all is needed for this, I have CAI, IRS brace currently. I am mainly concerned about the idlers and whether or not I need to add one or to replace all the other ones as well (have read the stockers can explode). I know I will need to get another belt and a tune but just wanted to see what others would suggest.

Thanks,

Bob

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey all,

The mustang is up for the winter and I am wanting to do some mods to it while its up. I was considering doing a pulley swap like a 2.93 upper only. What all is needed for this, I have CAI, IRS brace currently. I am mainly concerned about the idlers and whether or not I need to add one or to replace all the other ones as well (have read the stockers can explode). I know I will need to get another belt and a tune but just wanted to see what others would suggest.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Majority of the time when people change the upper pulley they will at the very least do the Auxiliary Idler and Bracket. You have several options from Billetflow, Metco, Division X and others. Other than that if you plan on doing the install yourself just either rent a Pulley Removal Tool or you can purchase one. Other than that and what you have I would pick up a set of NGK TR6 plugs and call it a day. Feel free to give us a call with any questions you may have and remember the 5% forum discount if you decide to place an order.

Thanks,
Matt

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
I would be sure to check the duty cycle of your pumps also. Not sure if the 2.93 will peg the maf and changing the upper only doesn't significantly increase the load on idlers. Changing the lower pulley you should for sure upgrade the idlers but I think you'll be fine with the stockers.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're going to run an upper only I'd do a 2.8 with an auxiliary idler or snub idler to go along with it. This will give you some more power than the 2.93 but will not be to much for an unported blower. I'd probably do some type of mass air meter help at the same time and a good custom tune.

I'm right at an hour from the Ohio River straight down I-71 and if you need a good custom tune my Tuner is another 45 minutes from me.

mustangbob

Established Member
If you're going to run an upper only I'd do a 2.8 with an auxiliary idler or snub idler to go along with it. This will give you some more power than the 2.93 but will not be to much for an unported blower. I'd probably do some type of mass air meter help at the same time and a good custom tune.

I'm right at an hour from the Ohio River straight down I-71 and if you need a good custom tune my Tuner is another 45 minutes from me.

Thanks for the info man. Yeah I will have to look into it, we had modular depot not to far from here but they closed down their shop and I heard they merged with a different company but I am not sure. Which tuner do you guys use?

Thanks,
Bob

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Thanks for the info man. Yeah I will have to look into it, we had modular depot not to far from here but they closed down their shop and I heard they merged with a different company but I am not sure. Which tuner do you guys use?

Thanks,
Bob

I use Lee @ Blankenship Tuning and Performance. He's the only person to have ever tuned my car. Probably the only one that ever will too.

If you ever have any questions pm us anytime you want to. Or if you ever need any parts we sell you can pm us for those as well lol.:beer:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
don't waste your time and get 2.76

That's exactly what I tell most of our customers that ask about the 2.93". It's not like the 2.76" is pushing the car past it's limits. However some people just aren't aware of that. Once informed of that they usually end up with the 2.76".

Jared

mustangbob

Established Member
don't waste your time and get 2.76

That's exactly what I tell most of our customers that ask about the 2.93". It's not like the 2.76" is pushing the car past it's limits. However some people just aren't aware of that. Once informed of that they usually end up with the 2.76".

Jared

That's what I wanted to know, I had looked at the 2.76 but I thought it might be pushing it a bit far without porting the blower and additional cooling mods to keep it from over heating. Also, would you need to upgrade the current idlers and add an additional? Opinions?

Thanks,

Bob

ramstein

Established Member
There is one guy who tried 2.76 upper with 8lb lower, that is pushing it lol
you will need 100mm idler and a shorter belt, as well as a good dyno tune and spark plugs. Check lethal performance website for all these parts. You will aslo need sct handheld.
I went with 2.76 and picked up 128rwtq, just to give you an idea.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not much difference with a 2.76 or 2.8, so like others said go with one of them. Also like mentioned check your fpdc as my pumps were maxed with only a 2.8 upper. I added a kenne bell BAP. My maf counts seem to be fine, your tuner should be looking at that when there tuning. My car had the NGK TR6's but I went for the iridium ones (tr6ix) has it helped with the low speed hesitation I was having.

I have a 2.8 upper, with billetflow idlers and a gates 74.5" belt.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Stock idlers are perfectly fine BUT they're a good thing to replace when you get some extra money. Do not put them at the top of the list to replace.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That's what I wanted to know, I had looked at the 2.76 but I thought it might be pushing it a bit far without porting the blower and additional cooling mods to keep it from over heating. Also, would you need to upgrade the current idlers and add an additional? Opinions?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

At the very least you would want to add the Auxiliary Idler to help with Belt slip with the addition of the smaller Supercharger Pulley. You do not have to replace the rest of the pulleys on the timing cover but most will do it around the same time that way you just need to purchase one belt. Feel free to give us a call and we can answer any questions you may have, we also keep all of these items in stock and can ship out same day! :beer:

Thanks,
Matt

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I have the 2.93 Lightning (steel) pulley and run a 74" belt - it's all under the stock pulley cover. No need for any idlers and have no issues with belt slip. The Diablosport "Pulley Tune" works pefect for it.

RJCobra

Established Member
I have the 2.93 Lightning (steel) pulley and run a 74" belt - it's all under the stock pulley cover. No need for any idlers and have no issues with belt slip. The Diablosport "Pulley Tune" works pefect for it.

I have a 2.9" pulley. No idler. Have a MAFia because my voltage was pegging. I'm at the limits of my fuel system so if i do anything else or go any smaller with the pulley the fuel system would have to be upgraded.

ramstein

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for all the input. What is the difference in hp (roughly) from a 2.76 and 2.93?

20hp maybe
The difference maybe get beaten by a C6 or beat a C6. :-D That can make you regret going with 2.93 only

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread