2.9 Gen 3 Crusher or 3.4 crusher?

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Making a purchase next week on Black Friday.

Got a weekend and strictly fun 04 cobra with very low miles stock block. Have a fore return fuel system with twin 465s and ID1300 injectors. 1 7/8 arh Longtube with off-road x. All the supporting modifications and will be running e85 only.

With the new gen 3 2.9 crusher coming out I'm in a pickle to choose between that and the 3.4 crusher. Looking to run with just head studs and cams for now and make 750ish wheel and then move forward to building the block and hitting it hard to 900ish range.

Thoughts? Purchasing next week.

Thanks.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
All the hype is about the new Gen3 2.9.... Rumor is it performs as well, or damn near as well as the 3.4.

2.9 would be my pick. You might call Whipple or Lethal for more info.
I actually spoke with Alex from whipple and he was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Someone from lethal as well who both suggested the 3.4 crusher. I suppose I may be over thinking it, but it's a big investment and can't ever receive too much advice!

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
With all the supporting mods you listed I would go 3.4 crusher. I guess depending on your heads but I don't think 900'ish to the wheels is going to happen. Well maybe for a dyno run or 2 but not a summer of beating on it.

Again I am new to this platform. From all that I have read and talking to my tuner.. Mid 800's is where these top out at. And the consensus here seems to be "if you want 900+ get a turbo or 2".

UnrealSVT

Established Member
With all the supporting mods you listed I would go 3.4 crusher. I guess depending on your heads but I don't think 900'ish to the wheels is not going to happen. Well maybe for a dyno run or 2 but not a summer of beating on it.

Again I am new to this platform. From all that I have read and talking to my tuner.. Mid 800's is where these top out at. And the consensus here seems to be "if you want 900+ get a turbo or 2".
I don't want to exceed 750 wheel until it's built. Then I will push the envelope. And probably steer away from pump e85 at that point and go for the always accurate c85...

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
^NIce. I don't know what it's like in PA. In MN we get e85+ around mid june.(e75-78 otherwise)
I plan on running a E tune like I have now. Then putting the 3.5 pully on up'ing it, once the gas permits.

I thought about doing the race gas so you don't have to test it all the time and run more power. But I want to drive it not worrie about 55 gal drums/shipping.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
^NIce. I don't know what it's like in PA but in MN we get e85+ around mid june.(e75-78 otherwise)
I plan on running a E tune like I have now. Then putting the 3.5 pully on up'ing it, once the gas permits.

I thought about doing the race gas so you don't have to test it all the time and run more power. But I want to drive it not worrie about 55 gal drums/shipping.
It's mainly e85+ but the winter blend is more of an e70. That's cool though because I don't do too much with the car in the winter anyways. And I hear ya on avoiding the headache of 55 gal barrels and keeping sunlight away and moisture out of them.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
It gets expensive to ship those 55gal drums unless you live close to a distributor. Which I don't, so I was lucky enough to get up with a couple tuner shops and do a group buy. But still $150+ on top of the gas price.

I guess could have 4 tunes on the sct a low and high ethanol tune a c16/c85 and a pump gas tune.

Back to the blower, fawk maybe the new 2.9 if the power increase is there might be the better choice. I keep forgetting I have the MM K member with spacers so I can fit the 4.0 pully(19/20#) on the 3.4 with the stock hood. something too think about maybe.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
It gets expensive to ship those 55gal drums unless you live close to a distributor. Which I don't, so I was lucky enough to get up with a couple tuner shops and do a group buy. But still $150+ on top of the gas price.

I guess could have 4 tunes on the sct a low and high ethanol tune a c16/c85 and a pump gas tune.

Back to the blower, fawk maybe the new 2.9 if the power increase is there might be the better choice. I keep forgetting I have the MM K member with spacers so I can fit the 4.0 pully(19/20#) on the 3.4 with the stock hood. something too think about maybe.
True true. And I already have the maximum motorsports 1/2" k member spacers as well. In preparation for the larger blower.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
It is definitely frustrating that although the 2.9 gen 3 is in production for multiple vehicles, we are only shown pictures of and I've only been able to gather credible stats from the newer coyote motors. Hell, I haven't even seen a teaser of what the new unit will look like.

It would have been a helpful revision on whipples part to fix the positioning of the IAC on the crusher inlet so that it doesn't chew through the A/C lines anymore!

cj428mach

Established Member
I would go 2.9l if you think you'll go built later on its proven it can do about whatever is needed.

Gabe1805 or whatever his name is (he got banned) had a 5.0 stroker, ported heads, cams, e85, and 2.9 crusher making over 1000rwhp. I believe his low boost setup was 800rwhp.

UnrealSVT

Established Member
bigger aint always bigger. buy what fits ur combo not ur ego....
I feel ya. It honestly has nothing to do with ego. I've always been thorough in studying into my modifications before purchase. Making sure I've got everything I need for my goals and trying to avoid having to swap out parts later. Especially with an investment of this caliber.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea I hear ya. I've been there a few times b4 myself wondering if I'm buying the right size Turbo to fit my goals. anyone can slap their car on a dyno and spit out a great number but if that number only takes place in the upper RPM levels they become pigs on the street.

that new 2.9 will be more then u will ever need or want imo. its probably similar in power potential as the previous 3.4

Users who are viewing this thread