2.6" Upper Pulley and Lower 10% OVerdrive ATI Pulley

CaliGT500524

Established Member
Hi all,

I've been contemplating for a while now whether to install an ATI 10% lower overdrive pulley. I am running a 2.6" upper pulley now and wanted to get some insight into the pros and cons of having both pulleys.

I understand blower efficiency and added heat creation, but I dont formally track the car, I mostly cruise around and get on it every now and again, etc. Will I run into any issues with the 10% pulley that would detract from the street ability of the car? I really dont want to upgrade my cooling system and figured the 10% wouldn't require that like say a 15% or bigger would. I may also be looking into porting the stock blower, as I dont see myself going down the path of supercharger swapping.

Also, would I need a new belt for the combo of upper and lower pulley, or will the stock belt work out just fine?

Looking forward to some insight!

einehund

Established Member
I've got the 2.6 upper and a 10% lower. Had them both on for 3 or 4 years now with no issues. I still have the stock heat exchanger, which I know is causing me heat soak issues, but I just haven't swapped it out yet. The heat soak is only noticeable when I'm drag racing and don't give the car time to cool down between runs. On the street, I haven't noticed anything too much, maybe a little down on power in stop and go, but other than that, nothing really.

As for belt size, I ordered a Gates green belt from Van @ Revan Racing in the size he recommended for the pulley combo. I forgot the length, but it wasn't stock. After a couple of years, I noticed belt slip; however I attribute this to the 100 or so dragstrip passes and not the fault of the belt for daily driving. I added a 90mm idler and that solved the belt slip issue for a time, and then it returned. I then added an Aux Idler set up (from Evolution I think, I don't remember) which solved the belt issue for a time. The belt slip issue has returned, but only at above 5k RPM in 4th or 5th gears, so I am pretty sure my tensioner spring is wearing out. All of these issues I attribute to hard driving and not the 2.6 upper and 10% lower. I would do an upper and lower again in a heartbeat.

einehund

Established Member
I don't know for sure. I haven't bothered to log it. I know it pegs the stock gauge, which isn't the greatest as that is an inferred PSI and not an actual reading. I put down 536 hp and 566 tq corrected SAE on a mustang Dyno. Not sure how accurate that actual correction is as it was done in Denver (actual altitude was 5600', DA at the time was 6400').

sleek98

Established Member
10%/2.6 is just slightly more rpm than a 2.4 with a stock lower. The ati 10% and a 2.6 upper has a step up of 3.0. A 2.4 and a stock lower has a step up of 2.96.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread