2.3 Whipple plus nitrous

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
2.3 whipple pulled for 25psi. Would adding a 100 shot or maybe even a 150 be to much on stock bottom end?
mods are
triple welbro return fuel system
-10 feed and return line
id1000's
sct 300 maf
e-85 or maybe e-98 still undecided
billetflow tb

ALL opinions wanted!!!

Thanks Terry

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
e85 high boos whipple are seeing ~700rwhp. That would be alot of nitrous to throw on top. I would worry more about the trans/clutch before the shortblock, but you would be taking it pretty far. I have seen some 800+whp cars on stock engines, but it's a bit further than I would be comfortable taking it.

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
e85 high boos whipple are seeing ~700rwhp. That would be alot of nitrous to throw on top. I would worry more about the trans/clutch before the shortblock, but you would be taking it pretty far. I have seen some 800+whp cars on stock engines, but it's a bit further than I would be comfortable taking it.

I have thought about that too and have decided to put a Fred Brown auto in it the first of next year.:beer:
Thanks for the reply

hurley383

Established Member
Do it and post up the results. a buddy is getting ready to do the same type of thing same boost on a whipple 2.3 gen 2 80 shot of spray on E-85 with a 9.5-1 compression with heads and cam. We are waiting on some 105 pound injectors for the tune. But if you are close to getting it tuned do it im so in for the results. sounds like your car will be a beast man.

Teej281

Established Member
Might want to put stealth pumps in instead of the walbro's as they are known to go out when using E85. Stealth pumps are wonderful for E85 and then you'll know you have enough fuel system. Hell, even if you went with 2 pumps you'd still be able to handle upwards of 900rwhp with two of them. I'd be saving up for a shortblock to sit on an engine stand as well. Dont know how long your stock shorty will last with 800-850rwhp.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I probably wouldn't do it unless I was "prepared" to do a motor. sure stock engine have held up to that abuse / power but the higher you go the easier it is to let go.

I would probe try a 50 shot first and see how it takes...

c_mart_28

Established Member
Well I can speak from a little bit of experience with a similar setup. I had run a 2.3 with a 2.75" upper and a 4 lb lower for about 2 years on E85.

Couple thoughts:
Heat soak is the biggest issue with spinning the 2.3 that hard. I had a 5 gal ice box and a bigger heat exchanger and it still needed at least an hour of cooldown between passes.

Belt slip may be an issue. I didn't have a manual belt tensioner but I did have the support plate the tensioner. I saw 25 psi peak and about 21 psi by redline.

I considered going the nitrous route but hadn't planned on a 100 pill. I just primarily wanted to lower IAT's for the last half of the track.

I ended up just going with a bigger blower (3.3 lysholm.) I hope to make more power on less psi and have it do it all the time.

That said though, 600+ (peaking at 718) ft lbs of torque at literally 2k rpm was awesome. I also think that a small shot of nitrous, if done properly, won't shorten the shortblock's life too terribly bad.

wrp

Established Member
On my 4.0 Liter Whipple the 100 dry shot gained 169 rwhp and 160 rwtq. More importantly, lowered my IATs about 30 degrees

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
Well its been a long road but today i reached the end.
Only seen 22psi made 681hp 667tg on 100 shot 750hp 768tg

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
nos

hp seems good but the tq numbers seem low , is your car irs ? ive been putting my car on the dyno for 6 years now been on there maybe 30 times and making 680 hp then spraying a 100 shot i would bet at least $10 lol that your car was spinning on the dyno , you could check rpm vs. dyno roller speed and that line should be flat, if it has a curve going upwards towards the middle of the line that means your car was spinning , that will compromise your numbers , you have to have a trained ear to hear a car spinning sometimes if its slight but ive seen 10 year veteran tuners not catch it ......RECENTLY !!! but thats a different story :)

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
hp seems good but the tq numbers seem low , is your car irs ? ive been putting my car on the dyno for 6 years now been on there maybe 30 times and making 680 hp then spraying a 100 shot i would bet at least $10 lol that your car was spinning on the dyno , you could check rpm vs. dyno roller speed and that line should be flat, if it has a curve going upwards towards the middle of the line that means your car was spinning , that will compromise your numbers , you have to have a trained ear to hear a car spinning sometimes if its slight but ive seen 10 year veteran tuners not catch it ......RECENTLY !!! but thats a different story :)

Yes it still has the irs. Yeah it spun a few times on there but i think we had some clutch slip also. Eric is looking over all the data and I'll let you know what he finds.:beer:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Yes it still has the irs. Yeah it spun a few times on there but i think we had some clutch slip also. Eric is looking over all the data and I'll let you know what he finds.:beer:

i run a spec stage 3 26 spline , its way underrated and its never slipped even making over 800tq , dont know how long it will hold that power as far as longevity but i dont spray my car often

Users who are viewing this thread