2.3 Whipple / Ford Racing + E85

timbo3282

Established Member
What fuel system components are going to work best to run E85 on my 2003 Cobra with my 2.3 Whipple?

Return style? How many pumps and which pumps do I need?

I am planning on buying Fore products from Lethal assuming they still have them in stock. They are still listed on the website so I figure they must.

I am thinking a return fuel system with bigger injectors. What size injectors are appropriate? I want to be covered for all 4 pulley sizes and boost ratings (3.5" - 13 PSI, 3.25" - 15 PSI, 3" - 17 PSI, 2.75" - 19 PSI.) I am thinking I need them black anodized to protect them from corrosion with the E85.

I also have the SCT Touch Screen Extreme for tuning. I plan on having a 93 Octane gas tune and a E85 tune. Who is the best E85 tuner out there? Or is it better to go in person? If so who is the best tuner in Austin/San Antonio/Dallas/Houston?

What is the best way to get an A/F ratio gauge plumbed in? Should I buy long tube headers? Is there an x-pipe with an extra bung pre-installed? I currently have the stock exhaust manifolds and H Pipe. I know I have to upgrade them eventually but I am hoping to hold off for now.

I want to get everything set while I have my pony laid up.

Termilvr

Established Member
fore precision is no longer a company but justin fore is making a new line under the name fore innovations, lethal also has its own line under the company divsion x coming out as well as kurgan motorsports has a hat coming out, a twin walbro 255lph return style should be enough, to be on the safe side put two aeromotive stealth 340lph setup or a triple walbro setup. you will need 80lb injectors. currently no hats are available.

timbo3282

Established Member
fore precision is no longer a company but justin fore is making a new line under the name fore innovations, lethal also has its own line under the company divsion x coming out as well as kurgan motorsports has a hat coming out, a twin walbro 255lph return style should be enough, to be on the safe side put two aeromotive stealth 340lph setup or a triple walbro setup. you will need 80lb injectors. currently no hats are available.

If I buy the Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Return Style Fuel System can I upgrade to the Aeromotive 340 lph pumps? I think that is the way I want to go.

Thanks for the help! :beer:

timbo3282

Established Member
I'm looking at this fuel system here: Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Return Style Fuel System [LP-0304COBRETURN] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs but don't see the option to change anything.

I'm hoping Lethal will just charge me the difference or whatever.

Also, what is the install like for these fuel systems? Are they plug and play or is there a lot of hacking and splicing involved? I'm hoping that the electrical hookups at least are straight forward. I hate splicing things that are difficult to get to, they always cause issues down the line.

Termilvr

Established Member
I'm looking at this fuel system here: Lethal Performance 03-04 Cobra Return Style Fuel System [LP-0304COBRETURN] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs but don't see the option to change anything.

I'm hoping Lethal will just charge me the difference or whatever.

Also, what is the install like for these fuel systems? Are they plug and play or is there a lot of hacking and splicing involved? I'm hoping that the electrical hookups at least are straight forward. I hate splicing things that are difficult to get to, they always cause issues down the line.

you would have to talk to someone at lethal about going with the aeromotive pumps, currently they have no fuel components since fore went under in early june the cobras around here have been thirsty, i would say that parts should be available withing the next month, im pretty sure the aeromotive pumps are direct replacements to the walbro pumps.

Teej281

Established Member
The Aeromotive pumps are a direct replacement, and Lethal will be shipping their hats within the next week. Thats what Jared said when I spoke to him down at Mustang week!

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Just because the product is listed on their website does not mean they still have it. I thought the same thing when I was going to order a fore2 regulator, but I was told they no longer have that item anymore.

timbo3282

Established Member
Just because the product is listed on their website does not mean they still have it. I thought the same thing when I was going to order a fore2 regulator, but I was told they no longer have that item anymore.

Bollocks - I found the same thing out. Derek @ Lethal said they won't have the billet fuel pump housings for 2 months.

I am on the look for one - if anyone has one for sale please let me know. Apparently they have everything else I need. I want to get E85 going sooner than 2 months if I can!

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I'm probably going to go with the 80lb inj, 340 stealth pumps, and the budget Lethal return kit. And have retuned on the dyno.... looking for conservative 650rwhp.

I'm around 19lbs with RR 2.8 upper on a Gen 1 whipple 2.3, old conservative tune with 3" pulley, 10.8 AFR, and 17 degrees timing was 540rhwp, guessing maybo around 570rhwp with 2 extra psi I have now. Wasnt worried about getting retuned with the 2.8 pulley with rich AFR and low timing.

The tuner I used said he typically adds around 3-5 degrees of timing with E85

Adandos

For high boost applications you want to go returnless...

Basically the returnless pump / regulator combo is preset to a single operating pressure and doesn't compensate for boost as does a return style regulator with a boost reference port.

Practically speaking this means that the higher the boost you run the smaller your injectors are (due to the drop in differential pressure between the rail and the manifold)

Check out or E85 upgrades calculator... you'll get a complete fuel system calculation factoring in your pressure drop (and oversizing your injectors) or doing a returnless swap... both are doable but I'd do a return if I could.

timbo3282

Established Member
I am planning on running E85 (that is the whole point of the fuel system upgrade) should I make sure to find a Fore Precision hat with the E85 coating or is it not necessary?

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I'm going the same route with E85 over the winter and am going to use the Fore setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread