2.3 Whipple Daily driver

mdever12

Established Member
Hey guys, would a whipple 2.3 140AX making 600 rwhp or so be unrealistic to have as a dd? A mechanic that i know said that it would make a crappy dd and wouldn't be reliable. From doing some research it appears that this isn't true. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Quagmire

Established Member
Whipple 14-19lbs of boost anywhere from 540-600 hp, with a correct tune and fuel system be a great dd.

black 10th vert

Established Member
No reason why it wouldn't be just as reliable as an Eaton powered car, as long as the proper supporting hardware is in place (and tune, or course). My car is FAR from a DD, but I would have no hesitation in doing so if it was my only car. Sounds like your mechanic friend is not familiar with these cars, and is speaking from old school mentality with regard to 600 hp cars. Driving a 600 hp Whippled Cobra "normally", no one would ever know that it wasn't just any ordinary Mustang.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
There was a guy on here a couple of years ago that put his 2.3 Whipple on after like 3,000 miles and he daily drove it for years. I know the last I saw he had well over 100,000 miles on it and he posted a spread sheet of his Drag Strip times and he ran the car A LOT. Ran some pretty low 10's with it too from memory.

That mechanic is wrong lol.

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
Agreed. You need a new mechanic. You should have no problems as long as you have the proper supporting mods and a good tune. I'm running a 2.3L at 17lbs boost = 587hp/536tq. The car's been a daily driverfor 2 years and never an issue. Hell, even the wife drives the beast (she's hates the stage 3 clutch though :nonono:).

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Your mechanic is a dumbass, and knows nothing about these cars.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
You are not going to be into boost constantly, so you will be fine. Use good gas also
Does your mechanic work at a chain store? Maybe Walmart?

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
DD mine for 2 years first at 13lbs and then 17lbs of boost. Zero issues and ran just like factory. The supporting mods and tune is all you need to make it work.

moonltgold

Staying out of the boost, the Whipple is just like anything else. If it wasn't for the hanging idle (which is not Whipple's fault), the lower rpms would hardly be any different than the Eaton. It does sound different though.

04RiceEater

Established Member
I daily drove my whipple and KB Cobras, drove like stock around town....until you put your foot in it! Dont see a problem with one as a DD.

Users who are viewing this thread