2.3 Whipple and 21+ pounds of boost?

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
2.8 Upper and 2Lb. lower on a Whipple 2.3 How much boost will this pulley combination put out? Also, is a BAP, 72lb. injectors, Mafia enough fuel to run on this setup at 21-23lbs? Pulling the trigger on this next month.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
realistically you will see about 20-21lbs with this combo. You get more blower rpm with upper pulleys than you do with lowers. Haven't seen a 2.80 pulley rr brand? I would buy 80lb injectors because they are cheaper, not because of the flow. A 60 is actually big enough. A bap alone will not be enough. At a minimum you could probably get away with a bap, wire upgrade, pprv delete, and fuel line upgrade with stock rails. Should get closer to 675rwhp with this. I would rather you plan along the lines of a full fuel system though, I'm going to recommend the fore return setup. Mafia would be fine.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
Running just a BAP will not be even remotely close for your fuel system. I run 60 lb. injectors and had plenty left but everyone's car is different. MAF.ia's are proven to work well, I ran one for years with my stock MAF when I had a Procharger and never had a problem. Now I run just a SCT2400 and at my power levels my MAF counts are still fine. I attribute it to my 12" RAI filter setup. As stated if you can afford it the Fore system is a good one.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
2.8 Upper and 2Lb. lower on a Whipple 2.3 How much boost will this pulley combination put out? Also, is a BAP, 72lb. injectors, Mafia enough fuel to run on this setup at 21-23lbs? Pulling the trigger on this next month.

Go to your tuner and ask him if it will be enough or not. Usually you need some sort of fuel pump upgrade.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
realistically you will see about 20-21lbs with this combo. You get more blower rpm with upper pulleys than you do with lowers. Haven't seen a 2.80 pulley rr brand? I would buy 80lb injectors because they are cheaper, not because of the flow. A 60 is actually big enough. A bap alone will not be enough. At a minimum you could probably get away with a bap, wire upgrade, pprv delete, and fuel line upgrade with stock rails. Should get closer to 675rwhp with this. I would rather you plan along the lines of a full fuel system though, I'm going to recommend the fore return setup. Mafia would be fine.
What kind of fuel system do you have?

yellow03cobra

Established Member
same one I suggested to you. It's good for 850rwhp, my 60lb injectors are good till 700rwhp. Here is my full mod list.

2.3L Whipple 3.0 pulley
Nx wet 100 shot of nitrous
10 inch air filter with maf adapter
Accufab throttle body
Bassani o/r x-pipe
Bassani ss catback exhaust
ba3000 maf
60lb fuel injectors
Fore return fuel system w/ walbro gss342 pumps
upgraded heat exchanger
Spec stage 3+ clutch
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
26 spline input shaft
H&R race springs w/ poly isolators
Front swaybar bushings and endlinks
Mm caster / camber plates
Poly irs bushings
Poly rear swaybar bushings and endlinks
Irs brace
full length subframe connectors
Hawk hps pads
SS brake lines
Powerslot front rotors
10.5 cobra replica wheels
315 mt et street drag radials

br7ef plugs at 30 , 17 timing same tune for each just more octane

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
60s will work, but you get very close to maxing out the duty cycle and start to get into the uncontrollable region of the injector, so 80s are not a bad idea.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
With my stock lower and 2.7" upper, I hit 21 pounds of boost. I have a Fore fuel hat, dual GT pumps, dual FPDM setup, Fore fuel rails, and 60 pound injectors.

Also (a VERY IMPORTANT also) - when running 21 pounds of boost you wll need to run some kind of octane booster or a mixture of race/premium fuels. That's why I have separate pulleys and tunes for the street or the track...:beer:

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
With my stock lower and 2.7" upper, I hit 21 pounds of boost. I have a Fore fuel hat, dual GT pumps, dual FPDM setup, Fore fuel rails, and 60 pound injectors.

Also (a VERY IMPORTANT also) - when running 21 pounds of boost you wll need to run some kind of octane booster or a mixture of race/premium fuels. That's why I have separate pulleys and tunes for the street or the track...:beer:
Thanks, I'll probally run E85 since the car is not a daily driver. I Have seen where some people say the E85 is 105 octane and others say it 94-96, which one is it?

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Thanks, I'll probally run E85 since the car is not a daily driver. I Have seen where some people say the E85 is 105 octane and others say it 94-96, which one is it?

I've read that there isn't a good method to test it for this type of fuel. I would treat it as 102 with some safety room because the content can change.

04Sonic

Established Member
I ran 60s, gt pumps and a Bap, duel fpdm's on my 2.3 at 21.5psi on Torco it was okay but Iat's were a little high at the track.

RoadRash

Established Member
Mine was pushing 20.8 psi with a 3" RR pulley on the dyno. Seems to be higher boost than most see. I have stock manifolds, stock lower, bassani x w/cats & catback. Intake side has an accufab TB, stock intake pipe, large K&N filter with a PHP shrouded filter. I found the BAP with stock pumps not to be adequate, so I upgraded to GT pumps, Fore triple (2 pumps), dual fpdm, -8an to stock rails. FPDC is now in the 70% range.

If you are going e85, then def need 80lb injectors .. much higher fuel requirements as well as triple GT pumps or a bap and dual gt pumps .. etc ..

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
...If you are going e85, then def need 80lb injectors .. much higher fuel requirements as well as triple GT pumps or a bap and dual gt pumps .. etc ..

So what does the MPG drop to when using E85? I know MPG is not generally a concern when building a high HP motor, but I'd like to hear from some current E85 users as to what range they see during "normal" highway driving...:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread