2.3 vs 2.9 Whipple

Kadinhamby

I’ve been trying to research these forums on this topic and haven’t found anything that really has told me what I needed to know. I have a 2003 cobra with an all stock motor with exhaust. I also have BBK long tubes that haven’t been installed yet but I want to upgrade blowers and I’m stuck in between the 2.3 or the 2.9. My goal for the car is to make 600+ but also looking to stay relatively cheap. That being said I don’t want to cut any corners fuel wise. If anyone could tag a thread with answers or let me know what seems more practical for my application and what I need to do so that would be much appreciated!

Rambro

Established Member
I would imagine you could land a 2.3 whipple for dirt cheap these days. I bought mine used and did a return fuel system with the stock rails and ID1000's. I've been tossing around the idea of selling mine.

Rambro

Established Member
If you want to stay pump gas you could run a 3.0 upper on the 2.3 blowers with a boost a pump and some 60 lb injectors and be right at 600 rear wheel. The smaller blowers will probably feel more snapy on pump gas than the 2.9 whipple but the bigger blower will be a monster the harder you spin it. Lots of good deals on gen2 2.9 whipples too.

Kadinhamby

If you want to stay pump gas you could run a 3.0 upper on the 2.3 blowers with a boost a pump and some 60 lb injectors and be right at 600 rear wheel. The smaller blowers will probably feel more snapy on pump gas than the 2.9 whipple but the bigger blower will be a monster the harder you spin it. Lots of good deals on gen2 2.9 whipples too. Lot's of good options atm.
I was looking at the 2.9s because there are so many good deals on them and obviously there is plenty of room to grow with them but what would I need to do with a 2.9 to make sure everything is running smoothly?

Rambro

Established Member
If you just want to run 93 octane you can get a boost a pump and some bigger injectors with the 2.9 no problem. You will just be limited on how hard you can spin the blower due to the octane. Insane deals on the 2.9's. I would get one but I really like the 2.65 Tvs.

Rambro

Established Member
My buddy has a gen2 standard inlet 2.9 on e85 and does 138~140ish in the quarter mile. Very capable blower still to this day.

Kadinhamby

If you just want to run 93 octane you can get a boost a pump and some bigger injectors with the 2.9 no problem. You will just be limited on how hard you can spin the blower due to the octane. Insane deals on the 2.9's. I would get one but I really like the 2.65 Tvs.
Some of the other threads I was reading said to avoid using the boost a pump for the 2.9 as it just can’t hold up past a certain point. What would my other options be if I wanted to upgrade fuel pumps and what return style system and such?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Some of the other threads I was reading said to avoid using the boost a pump for the 2.9 as it just can’t hold up past a certain point. What would my other options be if I wanted to upgrade fuel pumps and what return style system and such?

go on lethal's website, they have a few return options, full kits

Kadinhamby

I would like to stay as cheap as possible but also I would like to do it right the first time. I’m less worried about the pricing as I have all winter to get the build right.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would like to stay as cheap as possible but also I would like to do it right the first time. I’m less worried about the pricing as I have all winter to get the build right.
Unfortunately cheap and right rarely go together. You really need to figure out future goals. Will you realistically be happy with 600 or will you want more eventually? I have a buddy thats happy with 600. So a 2.3, 60lb injectors, GT pumps, and an upgraded FPDM is enough for him.

I plan on starting at 600 and going up from there. So the 2.9 and a full return set up makes more sense for me.

My last car I kept playing catch up with the fuel system and it ended up costing more than if I just went big in the beginning.

Kadinhamby

Unfortunately cheap and right rarely go together. You really need to figure out future goals. Will you realistically be happy with 600 or will you want more eventually? I have a buddy thats happy with 600. So a 2.3, 60lb injectors, GT pumps, and an upgraded FPDM is enough for him.

I plan on starting at 600 and going up from there. So the 2.9 and a full return set up makes more sense for me.

My last car I kept playing catch up with the fuel system and it ended up costing more than if I just went big in the beginning.
Yeah I think I’m going to set up for the 2.9 because I think 600 is more a starting point for me and I’d like to have the option to go up from there

Users who are viewing this thread