2.3 FRPP Whipple Blower

Roushgt05

Established Member
So i just bought a 03' with the Whipple on it and was looking for some tips/tricks on upping the HP.

Granted im sure i will be happy with it for the time being but i know the "mod bug" will end up biting.

So for guys running a similar/same set up any input is welcome.

Thanks

::side note:: The car has a BBK intake on it and i would prefer a JLT Carbon Fiber ram air.. Is there no way to do that without a tuner?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So i just bought a 03' with the Whipple on it and was looking for some tips/tricks on upping the HP.

Granted im sure i will be happy with it for the time being but i know the "mod bug" will end up biting.

So for guys running a similar/same set up any input is welcome.

Thanks

::side note:: The car has a BBK intake on it and i would prefer a JLT Carbon Fiber ram air.. Is there no way to do that without a tuner?

Generally speaking a cold air change can be safely done between aftermarket CAIs without a re-tune.

However in your quest for more power you gave no back story.
No fuel system info, pumps, injectors, BAP, MAF?
No pulley size info?
No exhaust info?

More air in and more air out makes more power, assuming your fuel can keep up, and you do not over boost your available octane.

A mod list in your sig is a very helpful thing as certain mods are essential for certain power levels. It is best to establish a power goal and state what that is along with all your current mods.

A power goal even if it is temporary is very important to establish as a first step.

Roushgt05

Established Member
I understand your comments, however i havent set eyes on the car other than pictures from the dealer.

Maybe i should post pics of the car once i get it on Saturday.

This is one pic from the dealer.

i5ao7a.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
From a fellow 2.3 Whipple owner, the best mods you can do are an E 85 conversion and a really small pulley:rockon:

oldmodman

Established Member
The first thing I would do is take it to a local, trusted tuner and have the tune checked out and optimized for whatever fuel you intend to use in your area.

Unfortunately, you have no idea what tune is in the car when you get it.

The most difficult thing is going to be staying OUT of boost until you get it checked.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
The first thing I would do is take it to a local, trusted tuner and have the tune checked out

My initial thought EXACTLY! Based on the OP's first comment, "I just bought an '03 Cobra...."

Get the tune checked first, but, while your at it I would say go with what works and what many Cobra owners have already done modification wise. LOts of threads and sigs to look at to get ideas on different combo's.

You could get a JLT CAI switch it out at the same time you get your tune checked out.

Right off the bat based on your pic I'd go with .....

Accufab Throttle Body
Replace the stock idlers
Scat Mass Air Meter maybe a Sct2400?
JLT RAM or CAI Kit

What fuel mods do you have done? Stock Clutch. Suspension?

Last edited:

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Doesn't look bad op. How many miles on the car? I'd give piedmont or fastlane a call since your from fayettville (same as me) if you wanted to get the car checked out

matt87

Established Member
i spy stock injectors so i'm sure this is the low boost kit 13 psi max i bet around 535-550 rwhp? stock exhaust too??

Last edited:

Roushgt05

Established Member
Doesn't look bad op. How many miles on the car? I'd give piedmont or fastlane a call since your from fayettville (same as me) if you wanted to get the car checked out

I was already thinking Fastlane.. Have you had any dealings with them?

Wondering on price and all that good stuff.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
So little known of the car.....

I wouldn't sign any deal until you get a leak down and compression check. Then you can start contemplating mods and retunes.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
i spy stock injectors so i'm sure this is the low boost kit 13 psi max i bet around 535-550 rwhp? stock exhaust too??
Good eye sir, stock injectors on a whipple:nono: Could be low boost but...really??? Who does a whipple with stock boost:rollseyes

I wouldn't sign any deal until you get a leak down and compression check. Then you can start contemplating mods and retunes.

Solid advice rt here op. While many would frown on allowing you to perform a compression...make it the deal or no deal ultimatum.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member

^This!

A reputable dealer should have no issue with providing you leak down and compression tests. Let them know the deal is hinged on it...

matt87

Established Member
i remember reading in some old rags that the whipple frpp kit doesnt require any fuel mods at all with the low boost and the ford tune( this is in their words ) based on the fact of the low boost, but time has marched on and we all know better as some upper only unported eatons need fuel mods.

Users who are viewing this thread