1st track experience

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Last night was my first track experience with the turbo car.
OLD set up with previous owner 60mm diesel turbo 10 psi 11.2 @ 119-120 with a 1.6 60'.
New set up mp t70 8-9 psi (same base tune-dyno tuning in a few weeks), 11.56 @ 115.9 1.88 60'. Its taking some getting used to, launching an automatic turbo car...only made 3 passes.
Complete list of mods: intercooled mp t70 (.96 a/r), mach 1 intake, c5 auto with 3500 stall, 60lb injectors, MAFia, xcal2 base tune, ford gt pumps, m/t drag radials.
Few questions:
1.) running a restrictor in the coolant line instead of a thermostat. Its been running warmer than usual with the warmer weather. Went to a larger restrictor (less restriction) and its the same??? There is more water than coolant now. Don't know how that effects it? Also friend says it needs more restriction to let the water cool in the radiator longer???
2.) Car won't build boost off the line. Do you have to have a transbrake to do this or should it build some boost. It decreases the amount of vaccum, but never starts building boost.
3.) Car went from ALWAYS making 10psi to 8psi for no reason. Turned the boost controller (manual boost controller) up a full turn and its still at the same boost? Whats going on? Leak in the line? It was fine friday night, but only building 8psi saturday?

With some practice, some tuning, removing some of the weight from the car (still had sway bar on, spare/jack in, and about 50lbs of misc. crap in the car), and fixing a few probs I really think the car will run good. Let me know what you guys think of my problems.
Thanks-sorry so long, but wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Do you have a wide-band on your car. I know when I went to larger turbos it ran lean until the re-tune. Watch your boost gauge while driving on the street. When you go wot from like 2000 rpm in 3rd at what rpm does the gauge show 0. This is your flash stall and the true stall will be the rpm at full boost. I really haven't tries building boost with the foot brake yet, but have no problem building boost on the trans brake.
th_100_1647.jpg

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Not sure, I'll try later this week. Roushowner...thanks, I was happy for my first time driving the car at the track and being untuned. I plan to get into the 10's pretty soon on pump gas with a tune a little more boost and some more practice launching.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Previous owner said that he didn't think the waste gate was opening and that is why it won't build more than 8psi??? I thought if the wastegate didn't open it would just continue to build boost. BOV problem maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread