1st gear issues

SYCobra

Established Member
Since I bought my car in May, 1st gear has left a little to be desired and it seems to be getting worse lately. The car has very little torque and the RPM's will shoot up without a corresponding increase in speed. In 2nd and up though it pulls like it should.

From what I've read in other threads, this sounds like a worn clutch but I didn't read much about it happening in 1st gear only. Seemed in those it would happen in the higher gears or multiple gears.

Car is completely stock with only 32k miles. Am I correct in thinking this is a clutch issue or could there be something wrong internally? This is my first stick car so I appreciate any tips in troubleshooting, no matter how basic they might be.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Low mileage

Wonder if bearing retainer is cracked ?

Any issues shifting gears or finding reverse hard to get into?

Clutch cable also. Sticking/binding

Are you original owner?
Any work done before on clutch?

SYCobra

Established Member
Clutch goes in and comes out smooth. Shifting has been fine. A little notchy lately but thought it may be because of the cold. 2nd in particular though has almost felt like I could feel the motor as I was engaging it, if that makes any sense. No grinding or anything like that.

I am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner had it since 2006 and put a majority of the miles on it. I doubt he did any work on it. Car still had the original air filter when I bought it. It did get a new motor from Ford shortly after he bought it around 3200 miles though still unclear why or what happened.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Try lifting up on clutch pedal.

This will adjust cable. On a stock setup

Cable can be removed and lubed which is simple to do.

I had replaced my clutch at 375k and it looked new still.

Driving habits will kill a clutch

My bearing retainer cracked and it was driveable but noticed a lot of shifting issues during that time

Users who are viewing this thread