1chamber flows

BosettiStang

Established Member
I have heard that with one chamber flowmasters on a 98GT you loose hp due to the lack of backpressure. Is this true? If it is, what is the best muffler for sound and power?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by BosettiStang
I have heard that with one chamber flowmasters on a 98GT you loose hp due to the lack of backpressure. Is this true? If it is, what is the best muffler for sound and power?

That's wrong actually. One chamber flowmasters are the least restrictive of the flowmaster mufflers. (3 being the most). You will not loose any horsepower, in fact, you may gain up to five hp at the wheels. Especially in the upper rpm's. The backpressure will be reduced a little bit though, and that may drop your low end torque, but not too much. Replacing the cats with an offroad h really makes a difference in torque and hp. Much more hp, but much less low end torque. I really noticed a drop in power below 2000rpm when I replaced the cats, but a BIG increase in power above 3500rpm's. Hope this helped.....

Welcome to the boards by the way:D

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
If they are the least restrictive, then you WILL lose backpressure, resulting in low end torque loss. Since everything I build is all about low end torque, I have no idea what gains there will be in the upper end of the RPM's. This is why I prefer the 5.0 to the 4.6.

Users who are viewing this thread