1998 SLP Trans Am Firehawk | Retro Review

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Coming of age in NJ and getting my DL in 1991, right down the road from SLP which was based in Toms River, and spending my summer nights in Seaside Heights.

I can tell you this, if you had a Firehawk you were automatically anointed king of the guidos. All of the IROC's and Saleen winged GT's would turn down their Stevie B freestyle tapes and move aside to gawk at your Firehawk as you rumbled down the strip.

Despite all that, even 30 years later I'd still rock one.

Edit: My friend and I went to look at a 1993 Firehawk at Jim Curley Pontiac and he was going to buy it, but chickened out and bought an 1989 Mercury Cougar XR7 5-spd instead. He wrapped the XR7 around a pole 2 months later. The XR7 was no slouch but not in the same league as a Firehawk

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
I miss my 99 Z28. These were so much fun. No traction control, mechanical throttle...end of an era for sure.

96dreamer

Established Member
This just popped up on Facebook yesterday and caught my eye. Looks like an extremely clean example.

Picture for those with out Facebook.
Capture.PNG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 1998 SLP Trans Am Firehawk was one heck of a good looking car. It had IMO a menacing but beautiful body design. A good look front end that you couldn't/shouldn't rag on. It performed up there with the best that period offered. And, you didn't see one on every block. Thanks for posting the video. It brought back some awesome memories from the mid-late '90s.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I had a 94 firebird firehawk left to me by my dad. That thing was awesome back in the day. I got rid of though because it needed work and I hated working on that thing.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Funny that you posted this now. I am considering an 02 SLP Camaro. T top car with 9k miles and center exhaust. These cars are going up in value because of exactly what you guys are saying.

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
Funny that you posted this now. I am considering an 02 SLP Camaro. T top car with 9k miles and center exhaust. These cars are going up in value because of exactly what you guys are saying.

Fbodys had dropped a lot over the years but they have sky rocketed over the last 2-3 years. If u can find a clean SS, WS6 or firehawk I highly recommend buying one for they keep going up in price. Low miles are everything and manual trans.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Brings back memories of when the Firehawks, SS's and 03 Cobras ruled the streets. When I got my 03 Cobra there were a few all black TA's and an SS with drag radials that I would see around my area and I was able to line up with one of the TA's at one point after I was ported, pullied, and on BFG DRs and it was a helluva race. Ended up inching him out but any other time it could have gone the other way it was so close. I remember after that race driving home another 2mi or so and I pulled up and my parents were outside and they asked me if I was racing because they could hear both of our cars that far away, which I did have SLP Loudmouths at that time lol. Always wanted a black TA Firehawk as an early teen but then Ford dropped the Terminator and that was the end of that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
df0142948145065d524a8bf3a9a27bd3.jpg

I don’t think I can ever sell my 02 firehawk with 24k on the odo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is one good looking Firehawk. Totally understand why you don't want to sell it.

My friend’s father has one with around 2500 miles on it. He’s the original owner,

738dde30451467bba824e8f5d2c1efd0.jpg

34f998e6322d7b14959e96a464853bf6.jpg

1bc4071d5dec02a9dbee6b1694958784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2500 miles! Awesome. I really like it, but I'm not a fan of the gold wheels. They do, though, blend nicely with the gold stripes.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Brings back memories of when the Firehawks, SS's and 03 Cobras ruled the streets. When I got my 03 Cobra there were a few all black TA's and an SS with drag radials that I would see around my area and I was able to line up with one of the TA's at one point after I was ported, pullied, and on BFG DRs and it was a helluva race. Ended up inching him out but any other time it could have gone the other way it was so close. I remember after that race driving home another 2mi or so and I pulled up and my parents were outside and they asked me if I was racing because they could hear both of our cars that far away, which I did have SLP Loudmouths at that time lol. Always wanted a black TA Firehawk as an early teen but then Ford dropped the Terminator and that was the end of that.

My first encounter with an LS1 is etched in my memory :). My 90 Fox didn't stand a chance. This was back in early 98. Made for a long 5 years before the Terminator showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread