1998 Hellion Cobra

9BABCobra8

Established Member
My car has been in "project" mode for quite some time now. I got a smoking deal on a teksid block and T-56 with a Mcleod twin disk clutch. The engine originally had massive supercharger cams in it and I was planning on swapping a set of stock 1998 Cobra cams in… until I realized they were reduced base circle cams… :dw:

Engine:
Coated CP 8.9:1 Pistons
Ported “B” Heads
Ported Hamilton Clark Intake
1998 Cobra Re-Ground Reduced Base Circle Custom Cams (7500rpm)
Titanium Valves

Turbo Kit:
Hellion “OG” Kit
Ceramic Coated Hotside
T-76mm Journal Bearing Turbo (new GT-K 72mm Turbo waiting numbers)

Fuel System:
Weldon 2025
60# injectors
MMR Fuel Rails

Stock Computer

Conservative tune on 91 octane and 15 degrees of timing @5280 feet.
Yes, the turbo was a little big for the combo. Hopefully, the new GT-K 72mm and e85 will help.

I have no idea what it’ll do with 20+ pounds on the corn. :beer:
Sorry about the camera phone pic.

2lx6xqb.jpg

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
8.9:1 Pistons, Ported “B” Heads, Ported Hamilton Clark Intake, 1998 Cobra Re-Ground Reduced Base Circle Custom Cams (7500rpm), T-76mm Journal Bearing turbo making full boost at around 5200rpm...should make a nice dyno car and a 100mph and up roll racer. It would be a huge accomplishment to get it to 1/4 mile worth a damn. And it has to be pig in about any street situation, yes?

9BABCobra8

Established Member
8.9:1 Pistons, Ported “B” Heads, Ported Hamilton Clark Intake, 1998 Cobra Re-Ground Reduced Base Circle Custom Cams (7500rpm), T-76mm Journal Bearing turbo making full boost at around 5200rpm...should make a nice dyno car and a 100mph and up roll racer. It would be a huge accomplishment to get it to 1/4 mile worth a damn. And it has to be pig in about any street situation, yes?

I'm glad you took the time to read the whole post..:shrug:.
This was just the initial safe tune on 91 pump gas with the old 76mm .96a/r
The new set up is the billet 72mm BB .81a/r on e85..:burnout:.
If I was concerned about the 1/4 mile I might have worried about that, this is a road race car.. hence the 7.25" clutch and 8# fly wheel.

I haven't had a chance to run it against anything comparable yet but brake boosting is a hell of a thing.
I'm originally from the KC area, maybe we can see how it'll fair on the street? Yes? :beer:

Last edited:

19935.slow

Established Member

Lol, even coming in at 5200 with full boost thats all he needs if he shifts around 7k. Cars don't need low end on a drag strip.

9BABCobra8

Established Member
Thats one hell of a setup you got there. Would love to see this thing on a freeway pull!

I was hoping to as well... just switched the turbo set-up and the fuel and got a base tune on the car. The ID 1000's seem to make a hell of a difference on the car's drivability. I just pulled the trailer and car 1100 miles to Houston and something didn't seem right with the car while pulling the car into the garage.
I checked the compression and the drivers bank is down compared to the passenger side. I'm really hoping that the cams are off... I cant think of any other reason for this. Hopefully, its something cheap to fix...:(

Users who are viewing this thread