1998 cobra imrc actuator

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone very attempt to use an IMRC controller from a Mark VIII? I'm sure it would need to be modded a bit.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am trying to source new inner IMRC cables, so I have been doing some studying of this.

First thing I assume is that the actuator box is exactly the same for the Mark 8 and the Cobra. If that is the case, then the cable length won't matter since it is the length of the inner cable travel that matters. If you can route the cables in a convenient way, the Mark 8 unit should work just fine on a Cobra motor assuming all the clips are compatible.

Assuming you do want to shorten the Mark 8 cables, you would have to cut the stop off of the inner cable and remove the plastic clip. It looks like it would be very hard/impossible to remove the plastic clip from the end of the sheath. So you would have to cut out a section of the sheath in the middle and then somehow fabricate and swage a sheath coupler to put the sheath back together again. Then you would shorten the inner cable, replace the plastic clip and swage a stop on the end of the inner cable. Seems like a hard thing to do.

FYI, I have two companies working on replacement inner cable solutions for me. I will probably take a few weeks before I see what they can do. I will let you know when I get the results. We haven't talked price yet, but I am suspecting it won't be cheap.

I am surprised that no one has any bad IMRC actuators that need repair. I would have expected there are a bunch laying in boxes in garages.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to take a look, I may have a Mark VIII one laying around somewhere. Almost positive the actuator box is the same size/shape.

96GT226410

Established Member
I have a 95 Mark VIII engine and my 98 Cobra engine sitting in my garage. Give me a couple minutes and I'll see if I can compare the boxes.

96GT226410

Established Member
My bad, I forgot to post about the 95 Mark VIII engine. On this engine it's vacuum operated, there are no boxes on the intake.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My bad, I forgot to post about the 95 Mark VIII engine. On this engine it's vacuum operated, there are no boxes on the intake.

Is the 95 different from other Mark VIIIs? I've definitely seen the IMRC box on a few Marks in the junkyards.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The older Mark 8s used vacuum. The newer ones had an electromechanical unit.

FYI, I have found a company willing to source new inner IMRC cables and stops for me and the samples fit. I will be ordering the swaging tool to swage the stops today, so I should be set up soon to be able to repair anything but the plastic clips. I am still working on how to 3D print those. That will take a while since I have never done any 3D printing before. I also still need to figure out what kind of adhesive they used.

Gecsr1

Established Member
What are the codes?

You may know this already, but your controller may still be working OK, but the IMRC plates are getting gunked up and need to be cleaned. That was the situation on my car with 67K. Cleaning the plates on both banks cleared the P1519 code for Bank 1 IMRC plates stuck closed. I did test the controller while it was off the car and it tested fine. Also, my cables looked perfect.

Hi, Can you explain to me the test proceedure for testing the controller, i have the same code , and I disammbeld the intake and cleaned the runners plates , but they looked great and did not appear to be stuck, so before re installing I was hoping to find the proceedure to test the actuator with out doing damage LOL...
Thank You in advance , any help will be appreciated

Gary

Gecsr1

Established Member
You are in luck. I just finished my write-up about the anatomy of the IMRC unit, including how to test it. You can download it here:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/1975f84f-4935-4131-8404-5a914da1afb7/downloads/1bp5517nm_621358.pdf

Please read it and PM me with any errors or suggestions for improvements.
Wow Thank You, i will run the test tomorrow, let you know how it test out.
again thank you.. the write up and reserach you did on this is awesome...

i wiil get back to you ,

Gary

Tillerman77

Established Member
Mark's test procedure worked great for me when I was dealing with this issue last winter. What condition are the 2 cables on the IMRC controller in?

Gecsr1

Established Member
Mark's test procedure worked great for me when I was dealing with this issue last winter. What condition are the 2 cables on the IMRC controller in?

My cables are great, I did marks test and my actuator failed the pull test... so I sent mine to Mark, he said he may be able to fix it... he should get it today or tomorrow... I am hoping for sucess..

Tillerman77

Established Member
Excellent. Mark has been trying to find a broken IMRC unit to work on, so yours may be the first. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread