1998 cobra imrc actuator

jgt58

Established Member
Good luck. After finding out that no one works on these finding a used one or deleting the old ones is the best way to go. If you delete you Will need a custom tune if you want the most benefit from it

1996 mustang cobra... many mods...

Tillerman77

Established Member
Good luck. After finding out that no one works on these finding a used one or deleting the old ones is the best way to go. If you delete you Will need a custom tune if you want the most benefit from it

This information is correct at the moment. I am working with another member on the potential for repairing broken IMRC controllers, whether mechanical issues such as broken cables or plastic connectors or electromechanical issues such as a circuit or motor failures. No information to provide as of yet, but we have found a broken unit to work on.

Another source for a used unit would be doing a local or national search of auto salvage sites for that part using the number listed below, which is the same on the Cobra from 96 through 98. The Ford part number was F6ZZ9J559BB and last sold for about $410 new.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I understand Ford can't keep making every part for all the Vehicles they've made, and of course that's where the aftermarket comes into play. But when there's a part you need in order for your Vehicle to run, and Ford doesn't make it anymore what do they expect you to do when NOBODY makes a replacement? If there isn't a aftermarket supplier making an important part, I think Ford should have them available. Especially when it's a part you need for your vehicle to run. And I know you can remove them, but what if you don't want to go through all of that, and you want to keep your vehicle stock? I guess your pretty much screwed..

BigAl5122

This information is correct at the moment. I am working with another member on the potential for repairing broken IMRC controllers, whether mechanical issues such as broken cables or plastic connectors or electromechanical issues such as a circuit or motor failures. No information to provide as of yet, but we have found a broken unit to work on.

Another source for a used unit would be doing a local or national search of auto salvage sites for that part using the number listed below, which is the same on the Cobra from 96 through 98. The Ford part number was F6ZZ9J559BB and last sold for about $410 new.

I hope your efforts work out. Sounds like there is enough of us needing these to make it worth your while. I have searched for a used one. The couple I did find are still connected to the intake and they want $500 to $600 for the entire intake assembly. Would not sell separately. One would not guarantee the imrc actuator even worked.
I will probably go the delete route.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tillerman77

Established Member
I hope your efforts work out. Sounds like there is enough of us needing these to make it worth your while. I have searched for a used one. The couple I did find are still connected to the intake and they want $500 to $600 for the entire intake assembly. Would not sell separately. One would not guarantee the imrc actuator even worked.
Thanks.

Thanks. My experience has been similar to yours, although I did eventually find a working controller for a fair price. That said, it does seem that there are (and will be) SN95 Cobra owners who would restore their IMRC system if the controllers could be repaired.
Regarding your own situation, if you decide to go the delete route, please let me know if your IMRC controller box is available for a reasonable price. As might be obvious, if our project becomes successful, we will need more cores to attempt to repair.

BTW, what symptoms does your car have (e.g. CEL or driveability issues)?

BigAl5122

Thanks. My experience has been similar to yours, although I did eventually find a working controller for a fair price. That said, it does seem that there are (and will be) SN95 Cobra owners who would restore their IMRC system if the controllers could be repaired.
Regarding your own situation, if you decide to go the delete route, please let me know if your IMRC controller box is available for a reasonable price. As might be obvious, if our project becomes successful, we will need more cores to attempt to repair.

To date it has only been the check engine light coming on. Reading the codes it says its the left bank controller. I have not noticed any drivability issues yet. I have noticed that it only comes on during engine deceleration.
I reset the check engine light and It will go a week sometimes a month before it comes on again.
It is getting more frequent. Car only has 50k on it. This is the first ever issue I have had with the car.

Tillerman77

Established Member
What are the codes?

You may know this already, but your controller may still be working OK, but the IMRC plates are getting gunked up and need to be cleaned. That was the situation on my car with 67K. Cleaning the plates on both banks cleared the P1519 code for Bank 1 IMRC plates stuck closed. I did test the controller while it was off the car and it tested fine. Also, my cables looked perfect.

BigAl5122

What are the codes?

You may know this already, but your controller may still be working OK, but the IMRC plates are getting gunked up and need to be cleaned. That was the situation on my car with 67K. Cleaning the plates on both banks cleared the P1519 code for Bank 1 IMRC plates stuck closed. I did test the controller while it was off the car and it tested fine. Also, my cables looked perfect.

The code is P1516

jgt58

Established Member

I'm fixing to do my mmr deletes. I'll make you a deal , I'll donate my box to you but if you guys figure out how to repair these , fix mine! Lol. Let me know. I'll even throw in the cables

Tillerman77

Established Member
I'm fixing to do my mmr deletes. I'll make you a deal , I'll donate my box to you but if you guys figure out how to repair these , fix mine! Lol. Let me know. I'll even throw in the cables

Sounds good - let me know.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Thanks.

I may have a lead on a supposedly functioning IMRC controller with aluminum plates. I will keep you updated as I found out more, as I don't need them except as more spare parts.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I may have a lead on a supposedly functioning IMRC controller with aluminum plates. I will keep you updated as I found out more, as I don't need them except as more spare parts.

If you still are looking for an IMRC controller with aluminum plates, send me a PM and I will give you the contact information for the seller.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am the other member Tillerman77 referred to above.

I have reverse engineered the electronics and should be able to fix pretty much everything electronic other than the connector, PCB or the switches on the circuit board. I am still working on sourcing replacement inner cables and the plastic clips, but that work is not yet done.

I am now looking for a few IMRC actuators that need electronic repair so I can prove that I can repair them. If anyone has a bad IMRC and you want me to try to fix it for you, please PM me.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Thanks for your efforts to give those of us who want to keep the plates an option, Mark. If I had one that was gacked, I'd send it to you....hopefully the community can get you some to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread