1997 SHO Info

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I'm looking at buying the car in the link below.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...oors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=17

I looked at it and test drove it. Everything seems to be in order from what I can tell. The normal Michigan rust on the underbody and the rear of the front fenders. Nothing excessive though. It actually looks pretty nice and clean. It seemed to drive well, the exhaust was louder than I expected but don't know if that's what they are supposed to sound like or not, it wasn't excessive or disgusting, just louder than I expected. Drove straight, shifted well and seemed to cruise nicely.

I was wondering if there were any issues I should be looking for and questions I should ask about the car. Thanks for whatever knowledge and advice you could give me on them

:beer::thumbsup:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Wow that was fast! Thanks:beer:

Looking for this to be my DD not something I am going to beat the snot out of if that makes any difference.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I had a '99 for about 2.5 years. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. It had more features than my parents '98 Lincoln.

I read about the cam failures that are posted all over the place. It may be a more than rare problem, but, I guess I was lucky I never had a problem. Mine was not welded and I was not easy on the car. It saw 7000rpm many times.

Other than that I have not heard of any issues and I never had any problems with mine. The exhaust, even stock, sounds pretty cool.

blue92

Established Member
Cams, and a week tranny are the issues on this car, oh and the fugly dashboard that Ford wanted to look like it was something outa Star Treck.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
After looking into the cam fix I didn't want to deal with the car since it would have just been my DD. Didn't want to spend the money on something I would just haul to the junk yard if something happened to it. Thanks for the info guys, it really helped out:beer:

blue92

Established Member
After looking into the cam fix I didn't want to deal with the car since it would have just been my DD. Didn't want to spend the money on something I would just haul to the junk yard if something happened to it. Thanks for the info guys, it really helped out:beer:

I got a SHO mechanic that has a 97 for sale the cams have already been welded and it's got about 20,000 miles on a completely rebuilt engine. He's askin $4,500. for it. I was looking at buying it myself but I hate the dashboard design.

Users who are viewing this thread