1997 Mustang Cobra track car - MM equipped, IRS, T56, etc

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I thought I would put this here where people can appreciate it.

What: 1997 Mustang Cobra track car
Where: Evansville, Indiana
How much: $9500 obo. Cash talks.

Time for a change. I am putting my Cobra up for sale. It has about 73xxx miles on it. Clean car. Never wrecked. The interior has been stripped, BUT I HAVE ALL THE STOCK PARTS! Let me reiterate, I have all the stock parts to this car with the exception of two things: the original T45 and original 8.8 rear end. The original T45 broke and was sold for parts. The original 8.8 was traded for the 2003 Cobra IRS that is in the car now. Everything stock part I have for this car is included. All the wiring is intact. I was meticulous when I took this car apart to not hack it up in the event I wanted to put it back to stock. The car has been dead reliable. No issues.
Quick list of mods and parts:

MM K-member
MM forward offset control arms with delrin bushings
MM Bilstein sport valved struts shocks
MM Coilovers, 375lb Hypercoil spring on the front, 650 Hypercoils on rear
MM subframe connectors
MM bumpersteer kit
MM rack bushings
T56 with 26 spline input shaft. From 2003 Cobra.
MGW T56 shifter
FRPP oil filter adaptor with custom remote mount oil filter and oil cooler w/ braid ss lines
FRPP a/c delete. compressor, condenser and dryer removed. Underdash components still there.
PRO 5.0 4.30 gears
2003 Cobra IRS w/ 31 spline axles
2003 Cobra diff with carbon fiber friction plates
Hooker long tube headers
Hooker X pipe catless
Bassani SS catback
Full Tilt Boogie Racing full IRS delrin bushing kit w/ grease zerks
Sparco EVO 2 PLUS seats. Driver and Passenger.
Camlock Harnesses on both sides. (out of date)
MM 4 point roll bar with welded diagonal and welded harness bar
SCT PRO-RACER package. You get all of it. Everything to tune on your own without taking it to a tuner.
INNOVATE Wideband LC-1
EGR, Smog equipment, and pcv have been deleted. PCV lines run to a Moroso catch can.
Canton Road Race oil pan with windage tray
FR500 steering wheel
Raybestos front pads with two weekends. Carbotech XP8 rear pads, I have a couple of years on these pads they still look good.
SS brake lines front and rear.
Front brake ducting with electric fans.
Centric high carbon rotors
2000 Cobra R wheels.
Continental 275/35r18 slicks. Grand Am GS spec tire. 4 on the car, 7 spares.

The trunk lid has been completely shaved. No spoiler holes, no third brake, the license plate bezel shaved. This was all done on a lid retrieved from the scrapyard. I have the stock lid and it goes with the car. I have an original set of 5 wheels for the car with original set of tires mounted. The tires came off a 17000 mile Cobra a couple of years ago. The look ok, but I make no promises on their safety.

I'm sure I have forgotten many things. If you have any questions, by number is 765-714-4358.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I have a bunch of pictures. I just didn't know which people would be more interested in. Is there something specifically you want a picture of?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Nice car! I think your price is about right but if you want to sell it soon, you will probably need to lower it a bit. I sold my 98 cobra "Faleen" for around that price with almost the same setup/mods as you but it took almost a year to sell!

The problem is that it's a "track car" but not built to any specific class. If someone really wanted to race the car, they'd need to do a bunch of sorting out yet still pay top dollar for the car. I had/sold a spec miata and an American iron race car and both sold within weeks. Both cars were fully sorted with log books. Not very pretty and not street legal, but they were ready to race in specific classes and the people who bought them knew exactly what they wanted.

Just a little FYI from my experience. Good luck with the sale! It is definitely a nice car though!

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Nice car! I think your price is about right but if you want to sell it soon, you will probably need to lower it a bit. I sold my 98 cobra "Faleen" for around that price with almost the same setup/mods as you but it took almost a year to sell!

The problem is that it's a "track car" but not built to any specific class. If someone really wanted to race the car, they'd need to do a bunch of sorting out yet still pay top dollar for the car. I had/sold a spec miata and an American iron race car and both sold within weeks. Both cars were fully sorted with log books. Not very pretty and not street legal, but they were ready to race in specific classes and the people who bought them knew exactly what they wanted.

Just a little FYI from my experience. Good luck with the sale! It is definitely a nice car though!

Thanks for the input.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Glad for you it may be sold. If I hadn't retired when I took my car off the track, this is almost exactly what I would want, and I would have paid that price.

It's hard to convince many new drivers that they're much better off buying something already sorted, and with all the expensive race parts already depreciated, instead of taking their pride and joy on track. Which I understand, it all starts with wanting to see how much more you can get out of your own car.

That's why I love it when I hear a friend or student say "I'm putting my daily driver/expensive toy back on the street and buying a dedicated track car". And yours is (or was if it sells) a great example.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Glad for you it may be sold. If I hadn't retired when I took my car off the track, this is almost exactly what I would want, and I would have paid that price.

It's hard to convince many new drivers that they're much better off buying something already sorted, and with all the expensive race parts already depreciated, instead of taking their pride and joy on track. Which I understand, it all starts with wanting to see how much more you can get out of your own car.

That's why I love it when I hear a friend or student say "I'm putting my daily driver/expensive toy back on the street and buying a dedicated track car". And yours is (or was if it sells) a great example.

Thanks form the kind words. I totally agree. Buy a car already finished and sorted. Saves so much money. Its the same thing approach I've taken to get into AI.

I'm happy with who is buying the car. A couple of friends are buying the car to actually track the car. I'm glad the car continue to live on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread