1997 cobra v1 t trim pcv questions

97drop

Established Member
Hello, the car is a 1997 cobra with an intercooled v1 t trim set up. Currently waiting on my base tune and haven’t started the car yet, but now second guessing the passenger side pcv routing . Drivers side is stock with a separator . I have a breather on the passenger side but second guessing if this will cause an issue (vacuum leak/ unmetered air) and am wondering if it would be best to run a hose with a separator to the power pipe after the maf before the sc? Car is draw thru. Have read arguments for both ways . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've always been told either run the full PCV or run breathers in both valve covers. Mixing can cause vacuum leaks and unmetered air to get in.

And I'd switch to blow through if you still have time.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
It’s been a long time since I had a vortec’d 97 cobra, but I believe both valve covers vented post MAF, pre blower. As mentioned before, opening one valve cover is essentially creating a vacuum leak (though many people do it that way).

97drop

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Are you suggesting blow through based on ease of tuning? its my first time going s/c and it would be a bit of a challenge to reposition the maf (ba2600). Given this situation , should I try and let the tuner work with the breather in place or run the drivers side to the power pipe (post maf/ pre sc) before he touches it? thanks again!!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
A slot style MAF would probably easier to incorporate.

On my mach seemed it didnt matter what I did - having a line hooked up to the inlet pipe would inevitably suck oil into the inlet and blower.

If you have the driver side PCV hooked up to the intake (ie anywhere post blower) you need a 1 way check valve to not pressurize it under boost (cant remember if theres a check valve already in that piece or not)

97drop

Established Member
Thats good to know , Im very much trying to avoid having oil sucked into to the blower. What did you end up doing? I thiiink the pcv does act as a one way check … not 100% though

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The blow through set up is easier to tune. I ran a BA5000 in a 3.5" pipe and tuning was a breeze. For turbo or centri I always recommend blow through. Plus then you can vent to atmosphere.

Either seal the passenger side or put a breather on the driver side. I ended up running both sides to a catch can because I got tired of the fumes. But I also wasn't running a stock engine.

Pick up one of these flanges and attach it to a straight piece of pipe. I had a pipe running through the fenderwell in the stock place so that's where I ran mine. I used screws and JB Weld and never had an issue. The only down side is if your pipe is smaller than the MAF housing you'll lose some range. You can make it up with a "bigger" MAF like the 5000.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Either seal the passenger side or put a breather on the driver side.

you can just close off the pass side valve cover port? On the Mach I run a breather on the pass side I get tired of cleaning up and the driver side a stock, heated pcv, to a jlt catch can to a check valve to the intake manifold.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
you can just close off the pass side valve cover port? On the Mach I run a breather on the pass side I get tired of cleaning up and the driver side a stock, heated pcv, to a jlt catch can to a check valve to the intake manifold.
Sorry. By sealing I meant connect it to the power pipe.

On my 01 I deleted the PCV valve and ran a check valve to keep things from getting pressurized.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
As these guys already mentioned, if you’re venting from the intake manifold to the valve cover make sure there’s a check valve. Otherwise it will make crankcase pressure and shoot oil out the other side. Been there.

I’d just vent both to a catch can and seal up the rest.

97drop

Established Member
thanks so much for the info . I’d love to post up a couple pictures but can’t seem to for whatever reason . This kit was second hand with some one off parts and is draw through and would be difficult to change . If I delete the the driver side / stock pcv would I just be buying a fitting to replace the pcv and vent both to a catch can ?

omj

Established Member
Either run breathers on each VC or vent both sides to a catch can. Oil in your intake lowers octane, leading to detonation.

97drop

Established Member
thanks for the reply. decided on both sides going to a catch can/ breather .Just waiting for parts to arrive, appreciate it !

Users who are viewing this thread