1997 cobra forged internal rebuild

Svtcobra916

Established Member
long story short.. a few doughnuts = bottem end work.
i am looking to get forged internals because i want to go supercharged in the next 2-3 years. so i have a few questions for you guys on here who have gone through having one of these motor rebuilt with forged internals.
1. does $9000 for forged internals & $7000 with stock internals sound about right for a rebuild in sacramento area?
2. anybody know of any other sites to get manley forged parts/kits besides MMR?
3. anybody have a rough estimate of the cost to have cylinder heads fully rebuilt? i am considering buying remanufactued
4. anybody know any good reputable shops for this kind of work in sacramento area for this kind of build?
5. if anybody has done this build before could u please provide me with a list of parts you used, price, and how you went about.

this is my first time ever having to rebuild a motor on any of my mustangs just happens to be my first cobra i get to do it on. i feel like the shop quoting me 9000 is a bit excessive even with forged internals. if i have to pull the motor and do some of the work myself i will but i was hoping to get this whole thing done for around $6500

any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

a list of parts im planning on accumulating:
crankshaft- 1000
forged piston, piston ring and rod combo kit w/ 11cc pistons- 1600
timing chain and guide kit- 500
cylinder rebuild kit- $800
all gaskets $450
exhaust and intake valves $400
main bearing- $140
rod rearings- $130

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is $9K dropping the car off and picking it up running? If so that's not bad. But if you have the skills you should pull it yourself. Wait on ordering parts until you know what you need. The stock crank is forged. So if it's good you don't need to buy another.

Is Modmax still around? JMO but I wouldn't by anything from MMR.

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Is $9K dropping the car off and picking it up running? If so that's not bad. But if you have the skills you should pull it yourself. Wait on ordering parts until you know what you need. The stock crank is forged. So if it's good you don't need to buy another.

Is Modmax still around? JMO but I wouldn't by anything from MMR.
yeah that would be dropping off and picking up running for $9000. also i know our cranks are forged but dude tried to tell me mine is broken without even looking at or hearing it run?..

Whats the chances of having my crank go bad?

yeah im looking at modmax right now. seems those are the only 2 sites offering forged kits im looking for.

and thanks for the info on not buying parts until i know what i need. i can probably go that route with the cylinder heads

Adower

Established Member
long story short.. a few doughnuts = bottem end work.
i am looking to get forged internals because i want to go supercharged in the next 2-3 years. so i have a few questions for you guys on here who have gone through having one of these motor rebuilt with forged internals.
1. does $9000 for forged internals & $7000 with stock internals sound about right for a rebuild in sacramento area?
2. anybody know of any other sites to get manley forged parts/kits besides MMR?
3. anybody have a rough estimate of the cost to have cylinder heads fully rebuilt? i am considering buying remanufactued
4. anybody know any good reputable shops for this kind of work in sacramento area for this kind of build?
5. if anybody has done this build before could u please provide me with a list of parts you used, price, and how you went about.

this is my first time ever having to rebuild a motor on any of my mustangs just happens to be my first cobra i get to do it on. i feel like the shop quoting me 9000 is a bit excessive even with forged internals. if i have to pull the motor and do some of the work myself i will but i was hoping to get this whole thing done for around $6500

any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

a list of parts im planning on accumulating:
crankshaft- 1000
forged piston, piston ring and rod combo kit w/ 11cc pistons- 1600
timing chain and guide kit- 500
cylinder rebuild kit- $800
all gaskets $450
exhaust and intake valves $400
main bearing- $140
rod rearings- $130
Who are you going to ins Sacramento? I’m getting mine built and am In sac.

My shortblock full forged ran me ~10k. Built to handle 1k horsepower. A modular motor definitely isn’t cheap to build.

Teksid
Fully forged
ARP everything
Diamond 10.5:1 comp pistons
Molar rods
Manley crank

If you’re going to put a blower on it don’t go with stock internals. If you have to, wait and save that extra 2k to forge it.

If it’s 9k for the car back up and running that’s a pretty good deal I think. I’m pretty sure most places charge at least 2k to remove the engine alone. Then factor in the labor to put the engine back together.

Last edited:

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Who are you going to ins Sacramento? I’m getting mine built and am In sac.

My shortblock full forged ran me ~10k. Built to handle 1k horsepower. A modular motor definitely isn’t cheap to build.

Teksid
Fully forged
ARP everything
Diamond 10.5:1 comp pistons
Molar rods
Manley crank

If you’re going to put a blower on it don’t go with stock internals. If you have to, wait and save that extra 2k to forge it.

If it’s 9k for the car back up and running that’s a pretty good deal I think. I’m pretty sure most places charge at least 2k to remove the engine alone. Then factor in the labor to put the engine back together.
was looking at speed auto machine in rancho cordova. wanted to go with manley everything and yeah after calling around most shops stating 10k for forged rebuild. i spoke with speed auto machine today. i can get price down to 7k if pull motor myself. im working with them now to see what else i can do to get the price down.

Adower

Established Member
was looking at speed auto machine in rancho cordova. wanted to go with manley everything and yeah after calling around most shops stating 10k for forged rebuild. i spoke with speed auto machine today. i can get price down to 7k if pull motor myself. im working with them now to see what else i can do to get the price down.
Check out hlm motorsports

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Cal Shaun Perry at Aed tuning. Or Hugo at hlm Motorsports. Don’t go buying anything on your own. Let them build the motor and choose the parts

Mark99GT

Established Member
As already stated, pull the motor yourself to save $. Pulling the motor/trans isn't too bad.

Let the builder supply the parts so they warranty their work (if they provide one). Might get a better price too.

Regarding your crank, if you lost oil pressure due to the donuts and spun a bearing the crank journal(s) maybe messed up. But that can be polished out. I'd be surprised if the crank was "broken." So you probably don't need a new one, but have to visually inspect it to be sure.

While it's all apart a new clutch might not be a bad idea, depending on the condition/miles on your current one. Just a thought.

Last, there are Facebook groups for 4.6 4v parts. Forged short blocks can be had for around your price. I just saw a Teksid built for 1500hp in Woodland CA asking $6500 shipped. Also seen others for less and some for almost twice that. So $9k for just dropping it off and picking it up sounds like a decent deal.

Last edited:

Svtcobra916

Established Member
Yeah I'm pulling motor now. I have a shop that will do the bottoms end and cylinder heads for 4k. So roughly around 6500 with parts depending on how my heads look.

Looks like Ill need a new crank possibly because after the motor runs for a few minutes I'll lose all oil pressure and the motor goes out. I drained the oil and found large blob of metal shavings on the drain plug. I'll know more once I get it to the machine shop..

car has brand new clutch less then a year old with a lightened flywheel

foor that built teskid is that the full motor?

Mark99GT

Established Member
Yeah I'm pulling motor now. I have a shop that will do the bottoms end and cylinder heads for 4k. So roughly around 6500 with parts depending on how my heads look.

Looks like Ill need a new crank possibly because after the motor runs for a few minutes I'll lose all oil pressure and the motor goes out. I drained the oil and found large blob of metal shavings on the drain plug. I'll know more once I get it to the machine shop..

car has brand new clutch less then a year old with a lightened flywheel

foor that built teskid is that the full motor?
The Teksid I saw is just the short block.

Users who are viewing this thread