1996-1998 Ford Racing Supercharger

spike_africa

Established Member
Its a crappy and out dated system. Much better off going pi heads full exhaust and some cams. Nothing to crazy though. This would yeild much more power.

baggsend

Established Member
Its a crappy and out dated system. Much better off going pi heads full exhaust and some cams. Nothing to crazy though. This would yeild much more power.

hmmmm Eaton m112 is the same blower that is on the Cobra Terminator so calling it crappy is interesting. Stage 2 pi heads from what I have read do not make as much power as even the 6 pound pulley on that blower. Any time you add a supercharger or significant intake mods you need headers and exhaust to get the air out the other side so the exhaust is a wash. Stage 2 heads cost as much as this blower and are gonna be alot more time to install and by the time you add in cost of cams, springs etc your really getting up there in cost.
I personally like the way a supercharger screams. Any one else have a good opinion?

Last edited:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I've tuned one of these on a 98 GT, and it made well over 300 at the tires with mid-300 torque. Taking into consideration the relatively inexpensive cost and reliability of this setup, I'd consider it a bargain.

A PI head swap on a 96-98 GT with nothing else would see around 240-260ish to the wheels. Add a cam maybe 280 with a Full exhaust with a safe tune.

Last edited:

tobynt

Established Member
I have seen these things floating around and came close to getting one at one time...the issue I had, was I still had a lot of other crap to get just to make it work...after I looked at everything I had to find to make it work. It was going to cost me another $1500 or so...Then I did a check list of value.

Just didn't add up for me. My pros and cons list came out with only 1 pro to it....its different and people would always say, hummmm....what is that. Really would make for a great conversation piece. A lot of mustang folks don't know about these blowers and a lot of die hard ford guys don't know about them so that makes it cool.

Short of that the cons list was...no bling factor, no real performance to the dollar factor, I will always want more grunt from it and will not be able to get it factor.

That was just my thoughts when I thought about it....email the guy and see if he would take $400.00 bucks for it. At that price, you could get it on and tuned for about $2,500 to 2,900....then it might be worth the cool factor.

To each his own, let your flag fly high regardless of what other people say!

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
^^^What else would he need that it would amount to $1500 to make it work?

-fuel pump
-injectors
-tune
-belt
-vacuum/evap lines
-gaskets

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I have one on the '98 and LOVE it. Mid 300s hp/tq at the wheels is spot on for this on a stock motor. (Port your stock heads and you can see 400.) It's a very fun blower for a street car. I love that I can have the hood open and few people even notice it's tucked in there. The tq curve is flat, and the power is there right off the line.
Could find them cheaper - but you have to wait for them to pop up for sale. The downside is they are few and far between when you do find them.

-fuel pump
-injectors
-tune
-belt
-vacuum/evap lines
-gaskets

You have to relocate the alt as well. It move slightly to driver's side.

Last edited:

spike_africa

Established Member
Its not the same blower used on the 03-04 Cobra's. Its the same m90 unit used on the SC Tunderbirds from the late 80's early 90's. Of course its a newer version of that same one. I have seen a few with basic mods and they make low 310-320rwhp.

If you think a 96-98 short block with PI heads, decent cams and full exhaust is only going to make 270-280 rwhp you have no idea.

tobynt

Established Member
Ford Racing Superchargers Install Kit From Jegs

The link above would be a good start. Last time I got a dyno tune, it came out to $400.00

theres $1,800 easy

Figure that and all of the odd and end pieces that he will need...I have peiced together 3 blowers and it always cost me 4-5 hundred more then I had figured...all three systems I should have walked away from because I never managed to come out less than 600 bucks cheaper than a new system or complete used system. Only saving $600 on the cheapest one I have done, it wasn't worth the head ach or time putting it together.

I'm sure he could bang around and find other stuff and bring it down....certainly not telling him not to do it just giving my thought process when I thought about it a while back...for me, the horse power to the dollar ratio wasn't in it for me. He may look at it differently.

-fuel pump
-injectors
-tune
-belt
-vacuum/evap lines
-gaskets

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Interesting. That Jeg's Kit implies it comes with the tune.

All required fuel system parts are supplied in hardware kit. Including high capacity fuel pump and 30 lb./hr. injectors. Requires an engine management computer unique to this application which is included in hardware kit.

baggsend

Established Member
Dugan performance has the complete install kit for $1,100 and jegs and summit have it for $1,500. Includes injectors, ecu, fuel pump belts and hoses. Have not checked anywhere else.

Off ebay
36 lb injectors $150
Walpro Fuel pump $100
Miscelaneous parts belts hoses etc maybe another $150

I emailed the seller this morning and he also told me he can get the Ford ecu for it for $175. But he told me that he recommended a custom dyno tune for both pulley sizes and that the 10 pound pulley will make 375-400 horse and the 6 pound will make 315-340 depending on supporting mods. He also said he recommended 36 pound injectors over the 30 that come in the install kit.

The supercharger IS a Eatom m112 which is the same supercharger in the 03-04 Cobra. You are wrong it is not a m90 which was in the Thunderbird and Grand Prix GTP. I had a GTP and the m90 is a much smaller supercharger. That is a fact not opinion.

Last edited:

baggsend

Established Member
You have to relocate the alt as well. It move slightly to driver's side.

How did you relocate the alternator? I am thinking if it is just a few inches I could fabricate a bracket. Also I am guessing I will need a idler or tensioner pulley for it if so how did you do that?

Therre is no way this would cost as much as some of you guys are saying. Even if I paid $1500 for the full install kit from Summit that would be $2,900 total.

Putting it together myself
Supercharger $1,400
Injectors 150
Fuel Pump 100
Belts and hoses 150
Custom tune 400
=========$2,200 Total

tobynt

Established Member
dude, by all means...use the buy it now and get it...all I am saying is, for me it wasn't worth it...looks like to you...it is. I have seen a lot of people walk away from projects because the final total was going to be way off. I am just hard headed and never walked away.

I was merely trying to give you some insight with what happen to me, its hard to skip on things when it come time to buy them and install....don't forget about needing a tuner for the dyno tune.

Best of luck, now...go get it and have some fun.

For the record this is a M112 Eaton blower, a lot of people get them mixed up because it produced the same power levels as the M90 did in a non intercooled trim which of course this is also...non intercooled that is. 112 only means it will move 112 cubic inches of air, while it specs to flow the same amount of air as the M112 on the 2003-2004 cobra blower they are vastly different in design. Its not a bad blower, its actually a pretty nice blower to reach 350 rwhp (with some work and effort......and some money!) Its the same blower bolted up to the Roush stage 3 in 1998. Stock trim was 6 psi, after that you are working the devil out of this thing but it will work as hard as you want to push it...problem is, you really can't do anything but put bigger pulleys on them...at that point, you are going to get crazy heat, but it will make some power and doesn't look like a blower at all under the hood.....like I said...........great conversation piece and is really cool when someone does it. Just be prepared to put well over 2200 in it to finish it and have it all buttoned up.

Last edited:

baggsend

Established Member
For the record this is a M112 Eaton blower, a lot of people get them mixed up because it produced the same power levels as the M90 did in a non intercooled trim which of course this is also...non intercooled that is. 112 only means it will move 112 cubic inches of air, while it specs to flow the same amount of air as the M112 on the 2003-2004 cobra blower they are vastly different in design. Its not a bad blower, its actually a pretty nice blower to reach 350 rwhp (with some work and effort......and some money!) Its the same blower bolted up to the Roush stage 3 in 1998. Stock trim was 6 psi, after that you are working the devil out of this thing but it will work as hard as you want to push it...problem is, you really can't do anything but put bigger pulleys on them...at that point, you are going to get crazy heat, but it will make some power and doesn't look like a blower at all under the hood.....like I said...........great conversation piece and is really cool when someone does it. Just be prepared to put well over 2200 in it to finish it and have it all buttoned up.

You are correct about the volume of air in both but not about the power level. The difference is the M90 takes a smaller pulley to produce the same volume of air as the M112 with a larger pulley. The result is the m90 runs hotter than the m112 producing the same amount of boost. Which means you have more power potential for the m112 vs the m90. I am pretty sure that Roush used only the m90 in all his supercharged kits until recently. Also the m112 Ford Racing supercharger is the same supercharger that is in the 03-04 Mustang Cobra, they are the same design just in a different case. Both superchargers use the same rotors and have the same hp potential. The only difference in power potential in the 03-04 Cobra superchargers that they are intercooled allowing them to run a much smaller pulley making more boost and hp.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Actually, Roush used this same non-intercooled M112 until '98, then came out with the intercooled M90 in 2001.

How did you relocate the alternator? I am thinking if it is just a few inches I could fabricate a bracket. Also I am guessing I will need a idler or tensioner pulley for it if so how did you do that?

It's not moved far. A bracket should be easy enough to make.

Roush10.jpg

Last edited:

baggsend

Established Member
Actually, Roush used this same non-intercooled M112 until '98, then came out with the intercooled M90 in 2001.

I did not know they also used the m112. I thought they also used some non intercooled m90 kits.

It's not moved far. A bracket should be easier enough to make.

Thanks much for pic showing location. It does look great under the hood, very clean.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
Yeah, the unit's RPP sold were literally the same as the SVO set up, but with the ROUSH name on the casting up top.

tobynt

Established Member
I am pretty sure that Roush used only the m90 in all his supercharged kits until recently. Also the m112 Ford Racing supercharger is the same supercharger that is in the 03-04 Mustang Cobra, they are the same design just in a different case. Both superchargers use the same rotors and have the same hp potential. The only difference in power potential in the 03-04 Cobra superchargers that they are intercooled allowing them to run a much smaller pulley making more boost and hp.

1998 Roush Stage 3 vs 1998 camaro z-28 ss

This blower came on the 1998 Roush stage 3. The Roush blowers have ROUSH casted on top of the blower replaceing the SVO casted logo on the top of the intake.

I do need to clarify what I meant by vastly different in design. As Baggsend gently pointed out...(thank you for not jumping the gun and lighting me on fire) the casing is all that is different. Vastly different in design refers to just that, I did not mean to leave the impression of the rotor design being different...just the casing and referring to the flow of the ports and port diameters in the intake. The rotor design and profiles are exactly the same as the 03/04 cobra M112 blowers. With all that being said, this blower will never incorporate an off the shelf intercooler (in my opinion and logic...you will never be able to put any intersooler on it but I am putting in a disclaimer for the guy that says; "theoretically, you can cut a hole in the hood and have a costume fabricated adapter "sandwich" intake made that would house an intercooler." My reply to those people.....yes, you could, it would only have to be milled out of a 20" thick piece of aluminum to house an intercooler between the blower and upper intake. You would also need to make adapter plates for the ports to reach the heads again and relocate the injectors back down to the heads...on top of that you will need to incorprate some type of design that would alow coolant to go back and forth again....The cost to make the sandwich adapter would be ridiculous and with the cost of an intercooler and plumbing...just down right retarded.) In short for an intercooler, (again, this is for all of the people that would say...."well, you could put an intercoller on it".........) Yes, it is plausible just not logical and far from being logical.

For one reason or another, with the PI headed cars, 99-04 everyone moved to an M90 with an intercooler, my guess....bean counters trying to figure out a way to produce a package that would produce more horse power for the same price of goods. There is rumor that ford had a kit designed to put this SVO M112 on PI headed cars but that it got dropped. I can't say if that's true or not...for all I know they did make one and nobody ever bought it...who knows.

As I said before, this is a good blower that can take a beating and keep on ticking. I have said from the beginning, if you want it...go get it and put it on, my advise was to plan and budget at least 3k or more and to keep in mind, after its done....you will look back and say it wasn't worth the investment to be topped out at the limited horse power level that you will have with the system...your car will be able to handle a lot more power then this system will produce. Dollar for dollar, its not a good deal....if your like me and my track record, than the dollar for dollar ratio will not matter if its something you want to do.

If you can pick one up for a grand less than this one cost...(at one time you could do that, maybe not now or ever again)......than you should stay safely under 2 grand when its said and done. To be honest, you may be able to do it with this system, I never could because I make my installs look factory & clean. Not, like someone just slapped something on with a hodgepodge of components that looks like you just popped the hood on a salvage car in the junk yard. Not a lot of people take my approach because I will even take the time to paint the bolt heads after an install.

Again, if you have the cash and want to do it.......go do it. Make it cool, do a write up on it and post pics. It will be great!

Last edited:

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I'd say this set up is as 'factory look' and 'clean' as you can get under the hood. I bet 80% of the people who look at my car at shows don't even see the blower on it.

Users who are viewing this thread