1995 Cobra R Aftermarket Catback

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Does anyone know of a Stainless Steel catback system that clears the fuel cell on the 1995 Cobra R? I had a Bassani catback on my R but it interferes with the fuel cell on the passenger front corner and drivers side. I ended up switching to dumps but that was boiling my fuel so I need to switch back to a tailpipe system. Flowmaster has a new full stainless catback 817212. I called Flowmaster Tech and they said it is cut and bent to the exact specs as their aluminized systems for the SN95’s but they couldn’t guarantee that the system would fit the 1995 Cobra R.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I know there was a system back in the day that cleared the cell. For some reason MAC is coming to mind. I don't believe it was one of the higher-end stainless systems either.

Tom

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Specracer, thanks for the post. It’s all metal so anything can be done for a price. I’ve actually had two Bassani systems on the R. The first system was mangled by a “good custom shop”. I ended up swapping it for a second system that I pulled off my Cobra R convertible when I converted it back to stock.

The SLP system you referred to might fit but I can almost guarantee issues with the tires interfering with the band clamps under track conditions. I had that issue with a FRPP system that fit great with the exception of the tires rubbing on the clamps which tend to cut tires like a knife.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Todd,

Does it have to exit out back? Spintech has a great system simular to the '00R(side exit). I have it on my #22 Biscup racer, and I think it is great.
If I was going to set up another SN95 car, this would be it.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Gene, great suggestion. Do you have any pics or videos of your setup? Are you running an X-pipe?

I’ll double check to see if side exhaust is street legal in Texas although I’m pretty sure it is. I do know that dumps are not legal since I failed my inspection because of the dumps. I am a little concerned about ground clearance and potential damage due to track hazards, loading on the trailer, etc with the side exhaust though. Plus it is pretty pricey. $840 for the Stainless Spintech system compared to the Stainless Flowmaster system for $500.

I’ll give them a call. Who knows? Maybe I can talk them into cutting me a break if I put Spintech stickers on the car and mention their exhaust setup in my YouTube video posts.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am running boom tubes out the side of my R also. And yes, side is legal in TX. Basically, the exhaust must exit the car.

Tom

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Spintech exhaust....

[Are you running an X-pipe?]

Yes. My system is 3" and it clear's loading and unloading. Plus, it sounds great. :rockon:
I'll take some pics this Sat.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Todd,

I took pics, but haven't figured out how to send them yet.
I also need to jack the car up and take a few more.
I'll send as soon as my son helps me figure out what I'm doing wrong.:shrug:

Gene

Users who are viewing this thread