1994 Cobra oil recommendations

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
My car is older so I'm not sure if the "synth will cause leaks" applies to this car or not...?

I'm kinda going with Castrol either part synth or full. Not sure if full is worth it. Will the car run smoother, cooler, more power etc?

Also not sure if High mileage oil is a gimmick or should it be considered? My car has 100k miles now.

Thanks for your help.

Domindart

94 cobra
Established Member
Thinking about going full synthetic, maybe it will make a smoother running engine, sometimes it feels like the idle is a little weak.

Wildman113

Established Member
Synthetic oil is just better oil. No downsides.

The only time it can possibly cause leaks is on older, poorly maintained engines with worn seals and gaskets. This is due to the fact that it cleans out the crankcase and the actual molecules are smaller, so it can permiate places that conventional oil may not be able to.

Castol Edge is excellent oil. With the mileage on your car, I would go with 5W-30 or 5-W40. The 5W-40 provides better protection once the engine is at operating temp due to its higher viscosity, and also contains more additives since its formulated for European cars.

1hot281

Established Member
Amsoil Signature or Royal Purple HPS synthetic. Both will provide better protection than any API-approved off-the-shelf oil, including Castrol.

and I'd personally run a 5W30 or 10w30... though many will recommend the 0w30 when it comes to Amsoil. Which is also a fantastic option.

Last edited:

Wildman113

Established Member
Amsoil Signature or Royal Purple HPS synthetic. Both will provide better protection than any API-approved off-the-shelf oil, including Castrol.

and I'd personally run a 5W30 or 10w30... though many will recommend the 0w30 when it comes to Amsoil. Which is also a fantastic option.

Both of those oils are awesome products, especially since they still have the extra zinc and phosphorus unlike the latest API approved oils.

The only problem is finding a place to buy them. I ended up ordering a case of RP HPS from Summit Racing, nobody locally carried it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Both of those oils are awesome products, especially since they still have the extra zinc and phosphorus unlike the latest API approved oils.

Actually, Amsoil Signature Series lubricants reduced ZDDP content to API SN approved levels. Moly and Boron were boosted to compensate for the reduction in ZDDP. I was once a huge fan of ZDDP, refusing to use any lubricant that had API SM or SN levels, however....I am a convert. All of the UOAs in my GT500 showed no difference of results (wear ppm) using high ZDDP or API SN levels.

Amsoil Signature Series lubricants are truly world class, despite being "emissions compliant".

96 cobra

Established Member
rotella t6 (5w40) perhaps, lots of good reviews out there...

I use it in my DD year-round with great results.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I have used Mobile1 in my cobra since I got it in '98 and it has been great. I havent had any leaks. I always figured since its a street car that doesnt make alot of HP off the shelf synth oil is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread