• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

1993 vortech cobra issues...

Discussion in 'Fox-Body Cobras' started by venomisback, Apr 22, 2008.

1. venomisback

venomisback Big Member Established Member

***Just a sidebar. I have had this setup for 3 years now, and never had any problems***

Before winter my car was running crazy-rich...to the point where it wouldnt start up at the mall one night. There were plumes of black smoke coming out the exhaust when it finally did start.

cleaned the IAC
    cleaned EGR
    cleaned MAF
    new plugs
    new O2 sensors
    new TPS
    pulled chip out and cleaned the connections
    backed fuel pressure down to 38 PSI just for the hell of it

The car started right up, idled sorta high, but smoothed out. After it warmed up the check engine light came on, still idling well. I jumped in, headed down the road and it bucked here and there at low RPMS. After getting on the main road I noticed that when I let off the gas the RPMs hang, and when I pushed the clutch in, the RPMs were about 1800 or so. The check engine light went off after running it a bit. Back to my house.

I shut it off, looked under the hood at whatever, tried to start it with no luck. Its just flooded out.

I just got a code-reader at lunch today, but does this computer store codes? The engine light isnt always on. :(

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. red95gts

red95gts New Member Established Member

Yes, the computer will store codes. If the code scanner came with instructions, read them closely, but in a nut shell:

You have three types of codes on the EEC-IV: Continuous, Memory, and Engine Running. The continuous and memory codes can be pulled with the engine off. If you have a Check Engine light that comes and goes, the memory codes is where I'd start. Although, do pull them all and sort through what you've got

Just going off what you've said, I'd suspect maybe the MAF or the ECT sensor or a leaky injector. But, the code should at least give you a direction to go in.

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  3. carguy19

carguy19 Active Member Established Member

Sounds crazy but loosen the maf, and turn the meter about 90 degrees (so you are spinning it a 1/4 of a turn)

Tighten it down and see if that helps. It helped my car with the same symptoms

4. LEE93COBRA

LEE93COBRA broke Established Member

Have you checked the plugs or looked for a bad plug wire?

5. SNK-BIT

SNK-BIT It's Real..Coletti Signed Established Member

Sounds like a ruptured/blown/bad fuel pressure regulator.

6. fivestangs

fivestangs Member Established Member

Yeah I've had that happen before...take off the vacuum line to the regulator, if it's busted like mine was, gas will drip out of the vacuum line!

7. venomisback

thanks for the replies guys.

I did repalce the plugs within the last month. I thought about the regulator, but the pressure seemed to be ok. With good pressure could it still be bad??

8. venomisback

update...

pulled the codes, and got 21 (coolant temp. sensor). I replaced that, and the thing runs like a raped ape. I learned my lesson this time. Nextime I'll look at the codes before tossing parts at it!!!!

thanks for the support.

9. SNK-BIT

SNK-BIT It's Real..Coletti Signed Established Member

Honestly I don't remember exactly (it's been awhile) but I seem to remember that it was close to stock pressure. Once on a Bronco and the other was a pickup truck and both 5.0's. Bad gas mileage, hard to start, black smoke, low power. For what it's worth :shrug: